1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Asura - :lol: HUSH!
    @Sillycon - It depends on how pretty you want it to be. The solvent likes to run out the edges as you put the parts together and attack the underside. Really thin stuff is prone to warping, (which could be fun too.:lol:) Old material likes to craze and fuse cloudy.
    It's possible to make just about anything if you have enough stuff to layer. The spiral channel In GG's reservoir for example. The whole thing is 1/4" fused layers.

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

I've done it a few times myself, now my flux brush lives on my soldering block, that way I have to pick it up to solder and once it's in my hand I'll flux the piece I'm working on. However, I can be doing up to one hundred joints a day so setting up such habits for your one-off jobs makes no sense.

3. Cheapskate

@asura - While I got you here, you wouldn't happen to know a household cleaner that removes chrome, would you? I'm suspecting Draino/caustic soda again, since tenants seem to do it with ease.

I was waiting for a good ending point before posting, but it looks like real world commitments will get in the way of that.
    [​IMG]
    -It's either a micro-scale Le Mans track for racing one celled organisms, or the top plate for my block.
    [​IMG]
    -Done already? There was some experimenting with the channels. I cut the two long ones with small amounts of water instead of air.
    Pros: The cut came out slightly cleaner, and I didn't get a sore neck from manning the pump.:lol:
    Cons: I had to dig the chips out constantly and re apply water.
    [​IMG]
    -Is it making sense yet? No? Maybe when I cut the ports, then.:D
    [​IMG]
    -I drilled out the guide holes and countersunk. I switched to a rubber sheet for an anti-scratch surface. -Much neater.
    [​IMG]
    -To transfer the holes to the other block, I taped both blocks together, and drilled a tiny dimple in a few key holes. I then drilled and tapped the dimples, and bolted the block together to dimple the rest. I set the drill so it wouldn't drill through the last layer since the fusing was bad. I'll have enough leaks to fight as it is.
    [​IMG]
    -Let's see... one of the copper bits, half the screws, no O-rings, and it's just under 2 pounds.:O Imagine if I had used a real chunk of copper!
    [​IMG]
    -Yeah, the silicone O-ring cord I ordered is orange, and I only had blue RTV handy to splice. -Sue me.:p
    [​IMG]
    -Oh ****!
    I picked up a Chinese bottoming tap. I suspect China imported it from Pakistan, because it was really crummy. The resistance was so bad I couldn't tell I'd hit bottom until it was too late.
    CRUD! Now I have to do the whole thing over-Wait... This is plexiglas. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -OK. All gone. :lol: I used a screw to push the chip completely out, sanded the part of the chip that was the bottom of the screw hole, and fused it back in place. There's only a tiny hint of the original chip at the edge.

OK, Time to thank the sponsors and get back to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  4. The Colonel

The Colonel What's a Dremel?

Wooooow Bro I LOOOVE this kind of work!
    I'd like do something like this!
    The monkey is strong in you !

5. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Serious monkey business up in this thread! Great stuff!

6. Cheapskate

:D Thanks.
    @The Colonel - BE the monkey. LIVE the monkey.

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

Chrome... not really. Just soak it in bleach for a while?

8. Cheapskate

Rats. Thanks anyway.
    There's something out there to do it. I've seen too many sink faucets and drains stripped to the brass for there not to be something.

9. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

With chrome... No. The metal underneath it? Just take it to Ohio for a while. All you'll have left will be crome lol

Only way I know is just lots and lots of sanding.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2015
  10. asura

asura jack of all trades

Is what made me think bleach...:lol:

11. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

HCL. It will strip chrome very nicely...also stainless...skin....the lot.

I can do some 'tech demo's' if you like?

12. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Damn this is a sick build. so much attention to detail as well... hurry hurry :D

13. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    @Silicon - What the heck is in Ohio to do that?:worried: Are they salting the roads in winter too much?
    @Asura - Too easy. I'm still trying to figure out why a tub enclosure was burned... Tenants do weird sh*t.
    @B-Neg - Don't. Your toy box can hardly classify as "household chemicals" anyway.
    @Sanjaya - I'm trying, man! :lol: In the past two weeks I've mowed an acre or so, tiled a tub, installed a stove, patched a ceiling, repaired 2 kicked in doors, and got roped into painting a house because the painter that was hired turned out to be insane. -And that's my side obligations.:lol:

14. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

They salt the roads if they think it's going to snow. The problem is when it does snow, it usually rains a couple days later. Freaking weather here doesn't know what season it really is.

15. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

^Precisely. Ohio gets some weird ass weather and flash floods are business as usual lol

16. Cheapskate

OW. And here my rig is getting it's *ss kicked by a single sycamore tree.

17. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I dont know what you mean....... :hehe:

Pretty sure Asura is stocked up on the good toys too you know,its not just me.....

I should a thread...'B Neg's Big Melty stuff thread'.......

18. arg-ist

arg-ist Minimodder

Looking sweet !!

19. asura

asura jack of all trades

FIFY

:lol:

20. arg-ist

arg-ist Minimodder

[​IMG]