1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is all.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

3. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

[​IMG]

Also, is it me, or is that planetoid not very spherical?

Last edited: 9 Oct 2015
  4. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

5. Nexxo

Any rock under 600km in diameter (or ball of ice under 400km in diameter) does not attain enough gravity to contract into a spherical shape, so small moons and asteroids will be more idiosyncratically shaped.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Holy crap I hit the mid level brick wall in CQC. Everything is nice in the world, I'm boosting around killing mooks, hit level 13 and in come the high level players in match making.

suddenly BURST LASERS

It's like going from playing Call of Duty to playing Counter Strike, death is instant, forgiveness and fairness forgotten concepts to these creatures formerly men.

Thank you, now I know what my monthly pay day act of financial stupidity will be.

7. Nexxo

More planety goodness:

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

As you get into the higher levels your more likely to come up against groups. Having played in a CQC wing I can tell you its so much easier.

Especially if you are on TeamSpeak and can actually co-ordinate / help each other out.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Anyone else suffering joystick response problems in this now? Elite D has always been (even since beta) really nice in terms of Joystick to ship response but between when I last played and now, I have upgraded to Windows 10 and the CQC patch for elite has been released.

Basically, previously, even the smallest of joystick movement would elicit a response from the ship, which was really nice as docking and dog fights had a high degree of accuracy. Now when I try to pitch or yaw, the ship doesn't respond until 1/3 to nearly 1/2 of the range of the stick movement on that axis and then it's jerks so now even docking is painful.

I have re-calibrated it a few time, tried different dead zone settings and tried to mess with the power curve but none of that has resolved the underlying issue. I don't think it joystick related, as Star Citizen ship response times and range seem pretty immediate.

Anyone else experienced that in Elite yet?

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

What joystick you using?

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Thrustmaster 1600M

It just uses windows drivers I think, so no special software I am aware of.

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I had some other issues (different from what you described) with my X52 when moving to Win10.

Responsiveness is not an issue.

13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I've dipped back into ED after a 8 month break and it seems very slow in terms of docking/opening star maps/commods window are they having some sort of performance issue as I remember it being pretty quick going between menu's that had to poll for data from their servers.

*hmm even hyperspace/dropping into systems seems slow too

Last edited: 15 Oct 2015
  14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well tonight I bought, equipped and then lost a Python.

Pythons are apparently not fantastic, sixteen shield cell charges are useless if the shields drops faster than they can initiate, back to the Vulture and it's patented invinci-barriers.

15. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

when is the planet landing module coming out? will it come out before or after the free htc vive patch which has been promised before xmas.

I mean to say, if the landing patch arrives before the vive patch, when the vive patch does arrive its going to have extra game and experience to marvel in the vive.

if the planet landing module arrives some time in Q1 or in quite few months, then the vive patch although awesome will have a little less lustier.

17. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

For those who don't get the newsletter, a small clip from the upcoming Horizons (in game dev build footage)

18. Nexxo

And even more planety goodness:

EDIT: darn, ninja'd by one second!

19. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

20. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

LOL. Absolute load of silliness to be honest matey.

I played the original Elite on my brother's BBC micro and now it's reborn with all of the advances in software and hardware. It looks stunning. It feels very real. It fully supports VR so I sit in my cockpit and it's all life-size. It's breathtaking to behold. The flight mechanics are wonderful, dogfights can be deadly but with Oculus I can look all around and track enemies easier. The cockpit HUDS look stunning. They float in front of you, when I look to me left or right I get the side HUD menus pop-up. I can access and select using the HOTAS switches on my x52 pro.

The Elite universe is beautiful. It has a lot of hidden depth, trading (I haven't bothered buying/selling). I've been earning money doing illegal runs or getting money for taking out pirates.

Braben knows what he's doing with the Elite flight model. Out of the box the control setup with x52 is perfect. No awful deadzone applied and no bizarre whacky axis assignments.

Planetary landings coming soon and the design that's gone into those wheeled vehicles is wonderful. You can launch into the air and do rolls. Landings are gonna be fun.

Now... let's take a look at Star Citizen...

Have to admire Chris Robert's vision... He wants to create the greatest space sim ever. The design that goes into the spaceships = absolutely amazing. He's creating a compelling universe. Graphics great, damage physics stunning... Planet landings, FPS, racing... all wonderful.

The downside: Well there's a long way to go yet. Alpha modules. I tried it last year and the default control setup for x52 was rather awful. He's assigned yaw to x-axis and yaw controls roll. Add to that the default deadzone and you realise the controls are perfectly setup for arcade players. I watched a guy on youtube doing the hanger launch training mission and his first reaction to the control system was "very strange, not nice, lots of deadzone applied".

I fully realise you can customise all the controls but what worries me is that Chris thinks that bizarre arcade setup is good?

So I tried Star Citizen again last week. Took me about 10 mins to find where they'd hidden the axis assignments for x52. Turns out they aren't anywhere near the main x52 options (deadzone and axis reversal only there)... they've hidden axis assignments under advanced keyboard section.

So I went in and reassigned the axis to something less idiotic. As soon as I went back to the hanger it reverted to the default chris roberts arcade setup. Tried again... and again. No f*cking way would it keep my flight controls.

How about the VR? Well it did support VR for a time until but now no longer. There was a feature on this recently... "how well does Star Citizen work with VR?": Not at all.

Elite Dangerous has a significant army of fans especially because the VR implementation is so good. Elite is here now and works. It doesn't try to incorporate everything (no mention of racing or FPS) but then who cares? There is already a lot to do for those who take the time to understand it.

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Oct 2015