1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour points to $53 billion Dell EMC acquisition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

"EMC Croproation"...brain moving faster than fingers? ;)

It's strange to see EMC the target of an acquisition bid - they've been on a major buying spree since about 2000 and have bought something like 50 companies in the last 10-15 years, including a few most people would know about (like Iomega and RSA). I worked with them (and a few of the companies they subsequently took over) when they were the go-to guys for storage solutions - in the days when a terabyte would cost tens of thousands, and most companies couldn't think of a time when they'd need as much as a terabyte of storage...:D

Last edited: 12 Oct 2015
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You're lucky I didn't expand it as the Ellingson Mineral Corporation - hack the planet! (I'll go fix, ta!)

4. Gareth Halfacree

Update: Dell and EMC have issued a joint statement confirming the acquisition, which values EMC at an impressive $67 billion. Michael Dell is to become chair and chief executive of the joint firm.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Would it be safe to assume, then, that Dell may be moving away from desktop PCs and focusing more on a corporate focus with servers and back-end systems? The EMC acquisition would seem to suggest that perhaps Dell is wanting to move back to the days of being a one-stop shop of all corporate IT ("Nobody ever got sacked for buying Dell"?)

6. chriscase

chriscase What's a Dremel?

I think you have to ask what's the cloud strategy. Can they put together a plausible cloud offering or are they just going to circle the wagons around old tech and fight over the scraps.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

EMC already has some cloud companies in its portfolio, so I'd say they're covered. The biggest problem is that doesn't include VMWare, who will remain independent...

8. Gareth Halfacree

It's not *fully* independent: they're not taking it private, but after EMC acquired VMware it sold only 15 per cent as an initial public offering - which means that DellMC, or whatever we're going to call the new joint company, still owns 85 per cent of VMware. It's a subsidiary, whether or not it's publicly traded.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Thanks for the clarification - that bit hadn't been mentioned in any of the other articles I read.

So, it looks like EMell have the cloud covered, as well as storage & storage management, document & content management and security, as well as a handful of other sectors - all in one nicely convenient purchase.