1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant People who can't park

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 28 Apr 2015.

1. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

To be fair, around my way he would be showing some of the others how to park.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just back from Prague, and the cat adage "if it fits it sits" is so apt, the parking is dreadful (or good in the respect, how did they get it in there) you would be lucky to fit a cigarette paper between the bumpers.

3. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I had to show you guys this, I know Big_malc has posted something similar but this is at work and I recognise the reg. plate, they've been parking here plenty of times before without issue. No idea what they were thinking this morning. I was in two minds whether to park behind them and block them in.

[​IMG]
    free photo upload

Last edited: 24 Sep 2015
  4. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

My Mrs, is learning to drive, she's not that great, parking is terrible, I feel embarrassed when she parks her car and I have to get out :'(

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Practice, practice and practice.

If you let a learner to take the driving test not well prepared, and pass on a fluke, you are putting her and everyone on the road in danger.

I'm not letting my wife take the test until I am completely happy that she can drive confidently and handle most situations instinctively. We have practiced parking so many times but she still can't do it quickly enough (she can do it very well given no pressure), so we continue to practice.

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I've actually been told by someone at work that they "deliberately park over a line to make sure nobody dings my doors". Feckin disgraceful in my opinion but what do I know.

BTW, I just came back from a week in Ibiza and whilst the driving over there is poor their parking is absolutely diabolical. Don't know if its the same in the rest of Spain as I've not driven there yet.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm sure you were immediately sh!t hot at parking when you were learning to drive. :p

8. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

When I got my new car, first day I take it to work, come back and there is a huge (I mean seriously about a 20cm diameter) scrape on the rear bumper. I was pissed to say the least...

9. wyx087

How's this for "I'm more important than you so I can park here"?

[​IMG]

Later on, supermarket announcement asked twice for the owner to move the car. I guess the owner just don't care if it was scraped (!)

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Wait, what?

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd have gotten one of the trolley-herders to run a train of them down the side of it.
    Indeed! Does the little lady have to wait for her master's approval before applying for a test date? :eyebrow:

12. wyx087

It's not about my approval, it's about whether she is ready or not. If she can follow the sat-nav for more than 1 hour without me finding any faults, then she is ready. Otherwise it's accident waiting to happen if she passes on a fluke.

We are almost there now, roundabouts still causing a lot of hesitation when there are a lot of cars, but practice makes perfect :) Early December is earmarked for her practical exam. Yesterday's practice was fault free, but then, Sunday morning are pretty quiet.

More practice never hurts.

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i wish it was legal to simply Remove the wheels and place them up on the roof ;)

The other day one of my friends ended up being late for work as he popped in to drop off some stuff before setting off for work, but while we enjoyed a nice cup of Tea, some braindead Chav Chick decided to park across my driveway ( blocking acsess ) while she dropped her kid off at School. when he went to leave he couldnt leave the driveway and had to wait until she came back and drove off ( with some rather obsense language when we questioned her parking ability )

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]DSC_0131_c by boiled_elephant, on Flickr

I'm going to have to take a stand against the politically-correct leaning of this thread which maintains that no generalizations can ever be drawn regarding the models of car more often driven by douchebags. I document every instance of bad parking I encounter and they are, to a huge, overwhelming extent, in one of three categories: (1) family wagons parked in town or near schools during the school run hour, (2) hideously tacky boy racer hot-hatches with cheap body kits and tennis ball exhausts parked badly near houses or (3) penis enlargement cars parked badly anywhere.

The cause of friction is that (3) is a collection of specific models, not a general type of car or brand. It's hard to quantify exactly which cars qualify as penis enlargement cars; not all luxury sedans, all 4x4s or all sporty coupés qualify. But even if you can't quantify it, you know it when you see it.

Plenty of BMWs and Audis, for example, are pretty stodgy and standard cars with broad appeal. A couple of specific models of each, however (couldn't name them, bad with car names) make up more than half of all the terrible, inconsiderate parking I've ever seen.

And yes, an anecdote is not evidence, but beyond a certain point the plural of anecdote is evidence, and I've seen a lot of bad parking. And a lot of them have been these particular models of BMW and Audi.

And of course, it doesn't mean that BMW and Audi drivers are douchebags, or even that drivers of these particular models are douchebags. It's a statistical overlap; it means that, of all the douchebags, a disproportionate number drive these models of car. And if you own one of them and you're not a douchebag, this shouldn't offend you; you should just be proud that you're an exception.

wyx087 likes this.
  15. wyx087

It's confirmed bias I've been told, apparently I'm not looking hard enough. Better get your documented notes ready for inspection. ;)

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I do try to keep confirmation bias in mind, because it's the root of so many misheld beliefs and problems, but honestly....so many BMWs. It overlaps with the bad motorway behaviour when I travel, too; overwhelmingly it's those particularly big luxury saloons from BMW and Audi that are bumber-chasing, right-lane-hogging douchebags.

Someone ealier in the thread alluded to the probability that this is because they're company cars for executive tier businessmen, and I find that theory quite persuasive (mainly because I hate rich people, but also because the drivers are usually wearing suits).

TL;DR: classism is okay when it's true.