1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Things that really need to be reinvented.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 15 Oct 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Paint Tins.

Bought paint for hall decoration and as usual had to prise off the paint tin lid with a screwdriver which completely buggers the lid which never fits comfortably on the tin after that first lid removal. And then of course if you need to apply a second coat then removing the lid a second time can be more problematic than the first removal.

I should of course mention that after you have pour out enough paint for your needs then you need to contend with the extra that runs down the side of the tin invariably covering the brush cleaning instructions.

Surely there is a better way.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Large Fizzy Drinks bottles

So they stay rigid when you pour them.

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Paint in a plastic bottle. They used to do the paint-pod paint in plastic bottles. Easiest paint to pour and easily re-sealable.

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Couldn't agree more.
    The current thin plastic ones do not make for good bottle rockets! I have kept a very small supply of the older more solid plastic ones, but that will not last forever...

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Also a bit more space in the top or a pouring spout bloody things are usually so full when you open them they spill a bit.

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Not if you ask an Environmentalist ;)

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Plenty of food safe bio-degradable plastics out there... surely one of them can be used to make bottles that won't crumple if you look at it funny...

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Get yourself down the pound shop and buy a cheap ass ladle.

Spoon what you need into your roller tray carefully and you won't get any drips, top up when needed, I also use a large coleslaw type pot to carry a small amount of paint around to use when cutting in with a brush..

As for the lid, yeh they do get bent up but usually seal okay. I painted my daughters ceiling at the weekend and the lid on the paint I bought usually has to be pressed on with a clamp in store which is useless. A small hammer got it back on though :)

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks CrapBag but that does not get around the fact that this paint receptacle needs a major overhaul.

10. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

homebase do paint in a plastic tub & lid with a snap up edge all the way round, snap it up to open, and when you push the lid back on it snaps back down!

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Talking of Homebase they sent two tins of paint today one of which was burst.

But to your point, I am talking about all paint currently sold in tins. I have in the past had the plastic tins and they work well but why is all paint not sold in these types of container I wonder?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Every power cable in the PC:

24pin ATX is a block of antiquated ****
    8-pin is not powerful enough
    We're using multiples of PCIE power connectors FFS.
    SATA power is flimsy
    Molex designer needs his hands stapled to the desk so that he never designs another thing ever again
    Nothing is 90 degree or flush fitting.

13. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

Sweet bags.....I am talking about sealed ones....fruit pastilles, wine gums etc...

Why do you need to be a bodybuilder to open these things......and when it finally gives way, half the contents fly all over the place....grrrrrr :wallbash:

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

YES! :rock:

15. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Much agreement. Anyone here an engineer? Any graphic designers? That way the two can argue form vs function and we can all weigh in and decide on what should be the new standard.

And then never see it happen because too many people are stuck to the way things are.

:(

I'd like to also put a vote in for reinventing the NHS. It can be an amazing system, but holy poop the underfunding has made it slow, painful to navigate and downright dangerous at times.

:(((

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The NHS may well be under funded but the money wastage within the organisation is appalling. Be it procurement, where bulk buying seems to mean paying over the odds, simple maintenance likewise, IT systems not fit for purpose.
    I have evidence of the above from my own health board and I would assume that it is pretty much the same across the NHS and let's not forget the much vaunted PPFI which is costing hundreds of millions to the NHS.

17. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

It's still one of the most efficient in the world. Most of the problems stem from government interference or people refusing to pay a decent level of tax so things having to be done through PFI. As a contrast when my parents lived out in Amsterdam they payed 60% tax, but yeah everything worked, unsurprisingly... ;)

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Just because the NHS is more efficient than other health services doesn't mean that its actually efficient. Coming first in the special Olympics doesn't make you Usain Bolt.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Depend on how efficient is judged. As someone who has had issues these past years I am afraid it is very inefficient. Not only because of government interference but by incredible local mismanagement.
    So yes it mist certainly needs reinvention but that is not going to happen whilst the powers that be think that the only solution to the many problems is to fling money at it.

20. Measter

Measter What's a Dremel?

Another one: The USB3 internal connector. What the hell is that thing? It's twice as large as every other connector!