1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress IBM PS/1 2125-RoG - 06 June 2015

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by IBMer, 6 Jun 2015.

1. IBMer

IBMer Minimodder

Hi everyone.

I have had a few attempts at making my own cases in acrylic for some time but there was nothing worth sharing compared to the amazing mods and scratchbuilds I see here. Lately however I got the idea of modding one of the dinosaurs buried in my basement, as I was thinking about building a more compact case than the Lian-Li PC 27 I used.

It is still done with (very) limited skills, tools, budget and time, mostly using spare parts and materials.

Above all it is a tribute to my first ever PC, an IBM PS/1 model 2011, first model of the PS/1 series, which was launched exactly 25 years ago in June 1990.

So let me introduce to you the project:

IBM PS/1 2125-RoG

The host case:
    [​IMG]

27cm (length) x 35cm (depth) x11cm (height), I don’t have the monitor.

I did not use my original PS/1 Model 2011 (a 286@10MHz, with 1MB RAM and 30MB HDD) as it is in working condition and at the time it felt really too small. I thus used an IBM PS/1 Model 2121 of 1992, originally a 386sx16, which is basically as big as two 2011 stacked. Since then I found a second spare 2011 case and started thinking about a new project.

The nice thing about early PS/1 cases is the way they slide open: front/top/sides upper cover slides on the bottom/back plate, leaving all the internals easily accessible. There are no screws, just a single button on top, locking the upper cover in place.

Objectives:

Give a more modern look to the case while…

… Preserving the original shape a maximum, especially the way it slides open
    … Fitting-in the following gears:
    • Intel i5 4670k cooled with a Antec Kühler 620
    • Asus ROG Impact VI with 2x8GB of G.Skill DDR3-2400 Trident X
    • EVGA Geforce GTX 770 SC 2GB cooled with a Corsair H55 mounted with a Kraken G10
    • Crucial MX500 M.2 500GB SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5’’ HDD
    … Getting decent cooling by keeping the two closed-circuit loops.
    … Avoiding the use of a PCI-E riser (no space for a rigid one and I never managed to get a decent flexible one)… this meant adding a minimum of 2cm to the original height…

A glance at the final result:
    [​IMG]

Step 1 : the bottom plate/motherboard tray and the back-plate

I had a first try at making a whole new bottom plate in acrylic, but the end result was bulky and the sliding/locking was not as good as the original.

I thus chose a lighter design, cutting the bottom plate just where it was needed to fit the mother-board and graphic card, and getting the additional 2cm required by using a spare 4mm acrylic sheet and 2cm L-shaped aluminium rails.

The original bottom plate, cut:
    [​IMG]

Work done on the new motherboard tray:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This design improved the cooling system I thought about (by providing more clearance under the case): stacking the two radiators and two Be Quiet 120mm fans, with air taken from underneath the case, exhausted on top.

On the left side rail I drilled a holes to fit USB and audio ports taken from a Bitfenix case and also a rectangular hole to exhaust a bit of the GPU's RAM/VRM warm air. In addition I cut a round hole on the tiny front rail to host on/off button from a Lian-li case.

[​IMG]

I used the same spare acrylic for the back-plate, painted in the same flashy red as the MB tray for the inside and covered with a fake carbon fibre sticker for the outside.

Work done on the backplate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final look of the bottom/back plate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2: work on the cover

A simple paint job on the front plate:
    [​IMG]

Some trials and errors on the upper part of the case, gladly invisible now.
    Initially I had thought to cut a hole for a 120mm fan grill, but the end result was quite uggly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then found 16.5cm speaker cover from a VW Gold 4, which used as a fan grill would have the advantage to hide my deplorable lack of skill at drilling/cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work on the case was completed but I was still a bit worried about how everything would fit in there.

Step 3: Fitting everything in.

Cable management was as expected a real issue :)

Here is a look at the inside, with all parts and wires in, except for the SFX PSU which comes above the CPU.

[​IMG]

Here is a side view when closed.

[​IMG]

A view at the not too great back plate :sigh:

[​IMG]

And finally a look at the working PC.

[​IMG]

The background pic is the original welcome screen of the PS/1, a simple shell for PC-DOS 4.01. I also installed another classic piece of IBM memorabilia for the picture: an IBM RT3200 including a trackpoint, ThinkPad style.

The whole thing has a Thinkpad/Intellistation feel actually.

What’s next?
    • I realized I forgot to put a HDD LED, I will install it on the A: LED space on the front.
    • I may make a better back plate.
    • Think about a custom water cooling.
    • I have the project of putting the same gears in the original PS/1 2011 case (half the heigth of this one) with a custom WC with pump/tank/rad in a small tower outside.

[​IMG]

List of the gears used in this built:
    • Intel i5 4670k@4200Mhz, cooled by an Antec Kühler 620
    • Asus ROG Impact VI motherboard
    • 2x8GB DDR3-2400 G-Skill Trident X
    • EVGA Geforce GTX 770 SC 2GB cooled with a Corsair H55 mounted with a Kraken G10, mildly overclocked to 1161/1213MHz for GPU and 1788MHz for memory.
    • SilverStone SX600-G SFX 600W PSU
    • Crucial MX500 M.2 500GB SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5’’ HDD
    • Lian-Li PT-SK03B kit for the power button
    • 2x be quiet! Shadow Wings PWM 120 mm Fans
    • 1x Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX fan for the front air intake (through the floppy drive hole). I am thankful to Noctua for coming with this rather unusual form factor
    • BitFenix USB 3.0 Upgrade Kit for Outlaw and Shinobi for USD 3/USB2/Audio front ports
    • A 120mm Silverstone magnetic fan filter, stuck underneath the case.
    • A blue led to replace the original orange one.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I see no pictures?

You need to have in work pictures in your first post.

3. IBMer

IBMer Minimodder

Thanks for letting me know. Pictures appear on my screen, they're hosted on a Bit Tech album. But there might be an issue on how I posted them.

4. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

dug this one up after seeing your new build
    i really like your projects!

specific to this build, how are temps with 2 radiators staced?

5. IBMer

IBMer Minimodder

Hi and thanks for the interest.

Both GPU and CPU stay below 60° these days with a room temp of about 22°... I'm actually used to much lower temps, hence the idea to go for a custom loop on the new project...

I could also try to invert both rads and see if I obtain better temperatures.

6. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

i'm not surprised, but it's not as bad as i thought it would be!
    really wish i had gone for an itx mobo when i upgraded last - it opens up for more versatility

7. IBMer

IBMer Minimodder

Answered a bit fast sorry:

Temps iddle/low activity: CPU around 35°, GPU: below 30°

Gaming (I mostly play PlanetSide 2): both CPU and GPU around 55-60°

8. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

wow, those are nice idle temps - thought idle and active temps would have been closer together...
    nice! :D