1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zinfandel, 13 Jul 2011.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

So you started a colony? Excellent. :)

Unfortunately not. That would be the 1.1 update which is still being worked on according to the devnotes.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2015
  2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I finally did it!
    And this time without resorting to MechJeb! I am very proud, and Jeb seems like he is equally stoked!

[​IMG]

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ohhh congrats! i have never docked two space ships in orbit before, let alone without mech jeb.

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

great job!

Explored Duna

Duna Orbital science station
    [​IMG]

Duna Equitorial Landing site
    [​IMG]

Sent our Explorer Series up a Mountain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to hunt some science

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I had one goal when I sat down to play last night, and that was simply to dock two ships in LKO for the first time. I blew through a lot of monoprop, but the goal did not have efficiency in mind. Now I hope I can make it routine, and thus start building my orbital refuelling depot.

Ooh, that is lovely. I've only ever managed one successful Duna landing ... that turned out to be a retrospectively intentional permanent outpost. If I am finally able to consistently dock my ships I will see about exploring Duna propely as well.

Great work. :thumb:

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Duna landing is nice in that Parachutes work a treat for safe landings, maybe a little too well given the thin atmosphere on its real world counterpart but that's the game for you!
    The Problem with Duna, is not landing but take off, back into orbit and then a return trip to Kerbin, you needed masses of Delta V - even more that taking off from Kerbin if I recall correctly? Or at least, naturally you will have less DV, as you'll be using a lander rather than a full Rocket!

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well, the one time I landed successfully was back in 0.24, and that time I put too much trust in the parachutes so I landed hard. Still, the kerbals survived so it was obviously a great success.

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I think atmospheric resistance was changed significantly between 0.24 and 1.0, let alone the latter updates. Gravity may also have been changed unless I miss remember it. Landing on Duna does actually seem a little easier now that then but i'm ok with that :D

Anyone who has recently seen the martian is surely going to want to replicate that in KSP! I have been to Duna many times but have never once made a surface base or even managed to get a station into orbit. That needs to change.

I need a HAB, a MDV, a MAV and an interplanetary Rocket to get me there and back....

9. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Sounds like a fun community challenge actually. Oh, but you forgot Sojourner/Pathfinder...

Edit: Obviously if we really want to do it properly we will need a couple of rovers as well, and then a Long March booster to resupply the Hermes. Hmmm, I can't see that me not having been able to do a return mission to Duna yet will be a problem. This is a good reason to succeed!

Last edited: 21 Oct 2015
  10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ha yeah. the MAV will be *fairly* easy to make as there are many pictures available but the MDV, to my knowledge they didn't show many images of it?
    The Hermes would be massive if made with KSP parts - what a great challenge :D

I have never transported a manned rover to another planet not have I ever made a decent rover on Kerbin. Rovers & Planes are not my strong-point i'm afraid :/

Over complicated, over sized, over priced rockets that have 50% chance of getting into orbit without exploding on the other hand, right up my alley!

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hehehe, this sounds eerily familiar...

12. aramil

Challenge accepted!
    reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First concept (simulated in sandbox): (got to break it down into launchable parts & refine)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Oct 2015
    Bede likes this.
  13. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ok. It's Monday. Monday is sometimes **** (it is today!), and is a good time to start the official KSP 'The Martian' Challenge.

The rules (if everyone agrees):
    Everyone must attempt to build (on Kerbin) and transport (via a rocket) the following to Duna:
    1. HAB.
    2. MAV.
    3. MDV.
    4. Rover.
    5. Pathfinder.
    6. Hermes.

• Stuff can be shuttled over to the planet in any order you like, in one big journey or lots of smaller ones. There is one exception to this - given that in the film, the the MDV would have been required to get the crew of the hermes down to the surface, you must mimic this action. An example being, either the MDV is attached to the hermes (on the pad or via docking in space) or is sent on to orbit ahead and later docked with the hermes for crew transfer and decent.
    • No mods (although mech jeb is permitted) or modded parts.
    • given the size of the hermes, it's perfectly acceptable to ferry parts into space and dock them to build a ship scott manley style!
    • The items in question must look broadly like the items listed above from the film.
    • MAV & MDV must be upright and on their landing legs, the MAV still orbit capable.
    • All other items will be functional. The charred remains of a crashed probe do not count!

Given the challenge involved here - I was thinking 2 to 4 weeks from when we agree to start? Winner(s) by community consensus and or hilarity! Winners are on a per item basis, if some one is really good, they can win all 6.

Good or have I massively over complicated it? suggestions welcome!

Last edited: 26 Oct 2015
  14. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Can we have a noob challenge, I have about a 50% success rate of doing a return trip to mun or minmus so far and that's about it, I have a ship with more than enough deltaV to get to duna but the planets were not even remotely aligned when I took off so it is sitting in kerbol orbit for a decade or two while I wait for a decent approach. :rock:

15. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That is gorgeous - and it has given me a severe case of performance anxiety. ;)

Sounds good to me.
    I've still not been able to land on Duna and return home, but I will definitely have a crack at this. At least I am getting better at docking!

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ohhh somehow I missed this link/image, despite looking at the pictures above at the time of posting! Very nice!!!

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hell i struggle landing anywhere! May try an assemble a Hermes the rover an pathfinder an lob them into space.

*Edit*

Operation "Saving Private Jeb" is a go.
    Started work on actually getting a craft to land on another celestial body (something ive not done) I dont think a vessel travelling 3000+ MPS is going to survive landing anywhere. We tried it, its not been entirely successful.

Any advice on getting things to orbit?

Last edited: 28 Oct 2015
  18. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

19. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Got the new update tonight and decided to start a new career which is stock apart from 150% funds and science to take a bit of the mid-game grind out. Have done a successful return from minmus and a few early tourist and test missions and although small I like this new update a lot, has given me a lot of new ideas already.

Currently making my first kerbin orbit station with processing lab and can then finish the 300tier of science.

20. aramil

sounds good, just getting my new save up and running. (no mods)

so sandbox/sci/career? (anything other than sandbox may need more time for funds/parts etc, depend on where ppl are upto in the game)

the trick is to start your turn early worry less about your altitude and more about balancing it against gaining some orbital speed.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2015