1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Worlds smallest ITX case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MightyBenihana, 30 Oct 2015.

1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Got a SFW link that works and won't get blocked by filters?

3. MightyBenihana

I added another link, but there are not really any pictures of the internals in the second link.

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

That is pretty cool! I wonder if anything 10mm wider and 60mm longer could be made so that a slim dual rad could do in the base for VGA and CPU cooling.. that would be pretty cool!

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm on the waiting list, its so tiny.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

8. MightyBenihana

Hope they get the dust filters sorted, that is is an important point IMO.

9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Agreed, some low profile slot in filters would be nice.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This looks fantastic. I've had my eye on it for some time - I can't justify £200 on a case, but if I had money to burn then I'd really love one of these. 7.25l is just incredible! I'm a massive fan of titchy wee ITX cases and this is right up my street.

11. Parge

Yeah, that was what it came down to for me in the end too, just couldn't justify £200 on a case. Ouchy. Ended up going with a second hand Ncase, but I certainly wouldn't mind picking one of these up in a few years time once someone else has paid the $200+, as well as the postage and packaging and import duties.

12. MightyBenihana

I didn't realise that they had announced a price for it yet?

13. Parge

Yeah $200 - $230. It's in the FAQ.

14. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Yeah, that's a lot of money. I would not want one for a gaming rig, but it sure would fit nicely in a home theater setup.

I do wonder about Lian Li though. I have dealt with several of their cases and frankly, while they look nice, I have not been happy with their build quality for the prices paid. Jagged edges on sheet metal were disappointing. And less than true (exactly 90°) bends resulted is poorly fitting panels and bays and wobbly cases. :(

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I think a good portion of the cost comes from the shielded riser. If that can be sourced cheaper hopefully cost will come down.

16. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Nah! It is just more sheet metal with a couple off-the-shelf connectors, and a cable. It cost so much because it was made by Lian Li and they probably don't expect to sell a whole lot. Granted, aluminum does cost more than steel but we are still only talking about 2.75lbs of aluminum which currently cost about $.65/pound.

17. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm sure that was the reason given, as they intended to use a 3M shielded riser.

Given Lian-Li produce a shielded riser, I am not sure why they would do this.

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Are we getting to a point where size is issue purely because companies are selling it as an issue and people are being sucked in. Oooooh Ooooh I must have the smallest most powerful pc ever even if it does comprise thermal issues.

My core V1 is pretty small and to be honest it's awesome, I really can't be arsed to change it just to save a small amount of space, I think we have are hitting the limits of what is actually sensible.

Parges NCase M1 is really nice but in the end it really only saves a small amount of space.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2015
  19. MightyBenihana

With how technology seems to progress I see no reason why a tower should be a monolith of a thing. Think about how mobile phone have shrunk in 10 years despite being exponentially more powerful.

For me the problem is the ATX standard. Is it just me or is this standard out dated a little nowadays?

Look what the Asus Impact can offer for example, how the mini 970 GTXs still perform exceptionally, the Silverstone SFX series of PSUs knocking a few centimetres off the ATX standard whilst still remaining powerful and efficient (and many PSU are semi passive nowadays anyway so why the need for a fast spinning 120mm fan?)

In my opinion the ATX standard, whilst important on a compatibility front, is now holding back innovation. No company is going to invest a large amount of money into something no one would buy due to it not be compatible with all existing equipment.

What percentage of users really use the majority of the features on a motherboard, use more than 500W on a PSU, use more than 2 sticks of ram etc, even among the enthusiasts?

Whilst MITX exists, and is growing, it still lags far behind in terms of the amount of available equipment available compared to ATX.

Times are a changing and I for one am happy about it.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The hilarious thing is, 'companies' are failing to address this market. All these boutique cases (the Ncase M1, the Dan A4, the Lone Industries L1, the Kimera case-formerly-known-as-the-Nova, the Frelight Brevis, etc) all exist because mass-market versions are not available. In merely the last few months have cases like the Node 202 or RVZ02 started approaching this sort of compactness. Even knockoffs of bespoke designs - e.g. the RoG PC-Q17 WX apeing the NCase M1, the MSI Nightblade MI apeing the Dan A4 - bloat the design and/or have weird comprimises (e.g. the PC-Q17 adding weird angles that make it larger for no benefit, the Nightblade MI using a laptop cooler).
    Your Core V1, for example, is 22.7L. The Dan A4 is 7.25L. You could literally fit THREE whole PCs of equivalent performance (barring maximum 3.5" HDD storage capacity) into the same space. Most mass-market ITX cases are massive wastes of space.

Thermal issues are also a nonissue. Dondan has run a X99 system with a 5820K in there, with acceptable noise and completely adequate temperatures. The combination of direct air intake and exhaust (eliminating case fans), modern processors not being Pentium D spaceheaters, and the avaialability of 500W, 600W, and soon 700W SFX PSUs, means a massive case just isn't necessary to avoid compromising performance.

As for why compact chassis are popular enough to support SEVERAL bespoke case development projects? Because portable computers are useful. I can just about squeeze an NCase M1 and a DK2 into a pelicase and have a portable VR demo rig that can survive public transport or flights. That is impossible with an ATX tower or any current laptop (the upcoming ones with a full-fat 980 will juuuust squeeze into the minimum requirements at an insane cost premium).

If having a compact case isn't worth it to you that's fine, but it's clearly worth it to enough people to sustain independent case designs with the premiums that short-run (anything less than 10k is a very short production run, and these cases usually sell only a few hundred at a time) entail.