1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What should I consider when choosing a mouse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goatee, 2 Nov 2015.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm after a new mouse, my current one is an old generic POS on its last legs and so thought I might as well upgrade. I tend to use a joypad/joystick for most games (Fifa and Elite) but play a bit of CIV or other games of the ilk.

I have done some research and it appears I use a palm grip but the choice seems fairly extensive and i'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations in the £15-30 bracket? Do I get anything tangible for spending twice that?

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I saw that but the Claw shape, I think, would not be comfortable.

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

In that case, go on eBay and have a look for older Logitech mice.

I had a G5 for 8 years before I replaced it with a G600, and it was the best mouse I ever had. If it had more buttons, I'd still have it.

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm not adverse to spending more but what I want to know is are "extras" you get worth the extra money given I am not playing FPS or MMO's?

• Given my usage are 20 extra "programmable buttons" useful?
    • Do I need 1 billion DPI or is 3500 sufficient?

Stuff like that.

6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

If you're playing Civ, then the extra macro buttons can be pretty handy for swift unit/city selection instead of having to go hunting for them around the screen.

Extra features are QoL improvements more than anything. They're not 'needed' by any stretch, they just make life easier.

Extra buttons are the only things that will really help you to play a game of the genre you're interested in. Lights, DPI settings etc, are all superficial when you have all the time in the world to make a move.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you have a decent sized PC World/Maplins/similar nearby with mice on display it might be worth popping in and finding out what sort of thing you find comfortable. It might have allthe performance and features in the world but it's still far from ideal if it doesn't fit your hand.

8. techmonster

techmonster What's a Dremel?

Go for GENIUS mouses,they are cheap and with good quality. GENIUS Wireless NS-6015.
    is the one that i am using it, it doesn't have a fancy shape, however its comfortable and doing its pretty well :D

9. creative

creative 500rwhp

I had the same thoughts recently. I have never had a "proper" mouse and after mooching about what was available I went with the Razer Naga 2014.

I dont play MMO's at all, more first person shooters but I have found all those extra buttons very very useful! Setting up profiles so my mapped keys are ready, dependent on the .exe the profile is bound to make it a breeze when switching games as its all auto and I also found remapping the buttons from the keyboard to the mouse when using normal programs and the web ( example: the back and forward buttons in firefox are bound to the left and right switches of the scroll wheel ) have made it a much better user experience when using the PC now.

My advise would be to not rule out extra buttons, they can be very useful just in day to day use and not just games.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2015
  10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

After a bit of research I think i will go for a Logitech G600, but cant seem to find one in-stock anywhere to try one out.

I have large Maplin and PCworld, along with staples and none have any in stock. Might just bit the bullet and order anyway.

11. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I got a flubit offer of £36 on the white version, I think I will just go for that.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

That's rather interesting. I hadn't considered a wireless mouse, but I like the charging cradle.

15. Vault-Tec

It works very well wired too. My new PC for some reason does not leave the USB ports powered after I shut it down (my old board did) so I keep forgetting to charge it, because when the PC is on I tend to be using it lol.

I've come from owning several Razer mice (including the NAGA epic) and each one of them developed a fault. The Naga's right click button became very temperamental so when using a scope on a gun it just kept zooming in and out and made me feel rather sick.

My Boomslang also became unusable due to no software updates after Win 7 (bit gutting for £140 !) and I've had two other Razers die (Salmosa and one other I can't remember..)

It's quite sad really. Razer make very attractive products but sadly they make them all like dog toffee so they don't last. My step son spent over £200 on a Tron mouse and keyboard and the mouse has developed the same right click issue mine had.

All a shame IMO. At least my keyboard was only £32 and has proper blue switches in so it should defy Razer's usual logic (I hope).

I was turned on to Steelseries last year when I bought a white and orange Sensei mouse. I got it in a sale and was going to use it as a quick stand in but I actually fell in love with it. It can take a beating too. Thing is my wife liked it so I gave it to her and bought the NAGA, thinking I was upgrading...

The main issue with peripherals now is that more money does not mean better quality. I've spent stupid money on mice and they've just fallen apart..

16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I think that's one of the reasons I will go with a Logitech, they seem to have a decent rep for reliability.

17. Vault-Tec

Yes they do :) I had a Logitech keyboard for about four years and even though pretty much most of the writing had worn off and the keys were a little bit loose it continued on like a trooper.

Microsoft make very sound peripherals too.

Goatee likes this.
  18. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I can wholeheartedly say that I concur with this.

I have only ever owned Logitech products and they last!

First combo was a G5 mouse and G11 keyboard. Both lasted ~7-8 years, and they still worked when I replaced them. Just felt like a change.
    Moved on to a G110 keyboard and G600 mouse with no problems with either at all.

The keyboards have also been dismantled and put through the dishwasher countless times to keep them spangly. Still no problems, so long as you remember how to reassemble them.

Goatee likes this.
  19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have a G600 on order, thanks for the advice guys.