1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Using 2x Tenda TE-N3 N150 WiFi router in Repeater Mode using ethernet LAN cable?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ShahJahan, 4 Nov 2015.

1. ShahJahan

ShahJahan What's a Dremel?

Hello.

I have a Tenda TE-N3 N150 WiFi Router http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B005DDKCJ8

which is pretty good and has 1 WAN input and 1 LAN output. I have configured my Router and now it applies my ISP username and password over a PPPoE connection type and logs me in when I switch the router ON.

Now this router can be used as a repeater, BUT in a wireless mode. Can I set it up so that I can use an ethernet (LAN) cable (like the one that connects this router to my PC) and then use it as a repeater? Since it's range is pretty less (less than 10 meters). I plan to use a 20m ethernet cable to connect it so that I can have connection in my garage?! Kindly do NOT advise to buy another Router which can cover till my garage. Since if it can work, then I plan to buy one Tenda N4 (which has 4 LAN outputs) and from these I can have 3 Tenda N3 and cover a vast area each connected with 20-30m cables, which a single Router can't.

My current setup:
    ISP ethernet cable goes to WiFi Router WAN > another ethernet cable goes to my PC LAN.

[​IMG]

My idea is (will it work?)
    ISP cable goes to WiFi WAN > Ethernet cable (one which connects it to my PC) goes to ANOTHER Router (same model) > From this 2nd Router, ethernet cable goes to my PC LAN.

[​IMG]

BOTH the WiFi should work and of the second Router, even the LAN should work.

I sincerely appreciate your suggestions. Thank you very much.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2015
  2. ShahJahan

Hello. Thank you all for your replies.

I connected the Routers in the way as shown above (as was planned) and this is what I faced!

Primary Router = The one connected to the ISP
    Secondary Router = The one connected to the Primary Router

I disabled DHCP, as was advised to, on the primary router and now that router cannot connect devices. Devices can find the router, log in to it, but remain stuck on "Obtaining IP Address". The secondary router works with both WiFi and PC, but it connects EVERY device without asking for my WiFi password! It also flashes some warning, something like it is unsecured or something! Both the routers had different names (SSID?)

I want to use the Primary Router too (as WiFi) and the secondary router as WiFi + Ethernet and they should BOTH ask for WiFi Password. Plus they should both work seamlessly like I should be able to move from one zone to another and it should automatically connect to the nearest WiFi.

I sincerely appreciate your suggestions. Kindly help me please! Thanks!

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you need to add a switch to first router, connect second router to switch via lan port and turn off dhcp, make sure it has a different ip address than first router, connect computer to switch

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If you have disabled DHCP on the 1st router then none of the devices connecting to it will get an IP address, not a problem if you only use it to connect the other routers and keep them on a different subnet to the main network.

I would use the following approach,
    Router 1 enable dhcp, connect into a switch, other routers configure in AP mode, or buy Access points, plug these all into the switch and disable dhcp on them.

There are exceptions, but generally in a home environment you would only need to have 1 router configured as a router with dhcp running.

As for the WiFi connection without a password it sounds like you haven't enabled security on the 2nd router.

5. ShahJahan

Thank you all for your replies.

I followed this guide and it helped, a little, but there are still things left!
    http://m.wikihow.com/Cascade-Routers

My primary router has IP 192.168.0.1 and I gave my secondary router the IP of 192.168.0.2
    Primary has DHCP enabled, secondary has disabled
    Both are connected LAN to LAN
    Both have different SSIDs and Passwords

Now the WiFi works great, but even if the signal is pretty bad on one of the routers, it doesn't swap to the other router which has better signal, unless it completely loses signal and connects to the better one, OR I manually do it. IF I manually do it, I have to retype the passwords everytime I change routers. It does it automatically if it loses signal of one router.

Now that since BOTH of my router's LANs are occupied and my router has just ONE LAN, I cannot connect it to my PC. I need ONE of the routers for a direct ethernet access.

So now, is there some setting or an app (which works on NON-root devices, since I cannot root ALL of them!) that can move to the better WiFi automatically?
    And is there a way to free ONE of my router's LAN for direct PC access via ethernet?

Thanks again for all your help. We are getting there and it couldn't have been done without your guidance. I appreciate it!

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Not that I know of, unless you give the WiFi the same names and same keys, I also think that they may need to have the same gateway, otherwise you will need to manually switch or move out of range.

As there is one port on the routers there is no way to achieve your goals. Basically you want to have one interface to the other router, one for the WiFi and one for the pc.

I can't immediately think of a way of achieving your goal with your current hardware.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

as I said, you need to add a switch to the mix to give you more lan ports you can pick them up for £10-£15 nowadays for a 5 port one