1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD, GlobalFoundries tape out first 14nm FinFET parts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

if amd could make the gpus themselves instead of relying on tmsc, they'd rule overnight.
    I have no idea how technically difficult it would be to make a gpu on a process designed primarily for cpus

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

AMD don't manufacture anything anymore - Global Foundries was sold off years ago (although AMD might have shares in the business).

AMD have suffered with the size of their architecture for years, back in old days they would be a process away (Intel on 90nm, AMD on 130, Intel on 65nm AMD on 90nm) and in that time AMD had a very efficient design that could easily compete/bet Intel - Since then it's been horrible, poor design and larger manufacturing processes - right now it's AMD on 28nm (older non-finfet design) and Intel on 14nm TriGate, leaps and bounds ahead of what we used to call it's arch rival.

For AMD Having the FinFet process at 14nm available for the release of the new chip design in Zen was critical for them and for Joe Public, without competition we've seen a reasonable decline in performance leaps.

I'd love to see AMD trump Intel, so my hope is that the foundry process coupled with Zen design will give us exactly that.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If rumors are to be believed ZEN supposedly has a 40% increase in IPC, it's anyone's guess what they used in comparison but i would love for it to have been against Intel's latest & greatest.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Against Excavator.

[​IMG]

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My Google-fu is letting me down, do we know how Excavator compares with Intel's offerings on an IPC basis?

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if excavator is 10% better ipc than piledriver - IMO zen would be around Haswell level.