1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Liquid-stained SSD from Amazon - would you return it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 9 Nov 2015.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My dilemma is this: I ordered an SSD from Amazon and it arrived unboxed (they're normally boxed), wrapped in celophane and with tea or coffee stains all over it. Smells pretty funky.

Thing is, it works fine. SMART data shows it's never been used. But my anxiety is, if I try to warranty this further down the line, they might use the stains as a pretext to refuse warranty. So would you return it, or keep it?

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Unless your silly desperate for it now, return it - not worth having the niggle in the back of your mind for the future possible warranty and in my personal experience I find the inclusion of stinky tea stains much less appealing than a mini pack of harribo :)

free gifts gone down hill lol

3. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Should have not signed for and taken it if that were the case in the first place!.. Any ways I'd be contacting Amazon for the piss poor postage service and get a refund or get them replace it with no cost to you if you're wanting to have one still!..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The last time I RMA a Corsair SSD they were incredibly fussy about it.

The SATA connector on the drive was ever so slightly bent and they initially rejected it. It was only by me complaining on Corsair's forum that I got it resolved.

I remember back in the 90s I used to RMA a lot of Samsung hard drives and they were very fussy about the visual condition.

I would return it personally.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That first sentence is really not helpful, tbh. A lot of Amazon deliveries don't require to be signed for, but even if the delivery did need to be signed for, how exactly would the OP know that the SSD was unboxed before he signed for it? By "unboxed" I'm assuming that it came in an Amazon cardboard box, but the drive itself was not in a retail box but instead wrapped in cellophane. As far as I know, pretty much every item that Amazon ship comes in an Amazon box, envelope or packet, making inspection of the contents rather difficult before signing for them.

Anyhow, I'd contact Amazon and return the drive.

6. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

send it right back.

Leave it too long and you might as well say you bought a used SSD with no warranty

any trace of liquid inside during a RMA means you wouldn't get a replacement.

7. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Ah yeah, your assumption makes more sense... My bad... I thought the OP meant the postage packaging box and not the retail packaging, my mistake of this assumption... :p

Any ways, if OP bought it as sealed & brand new and it came unsealed and either open boxed or with no box then like @sniperdude advises I would send it back asking for a sealed boxed one...

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It was in a bigger box with other items, unfortunately! I'm very surprised, Amazon are usually top-notch. Anyway, their customer service still is, as always. Free return post and a next-day replacement. Just baffled as to how it even happened.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Who'da thunk that some minimum wage, warehouse worker might not actually give a hoot about you or your purchase. Shocker I know :jawdrop: