1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You can, you just need to use tab to move the cursor from the search box to the list of files.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I hope this will be useful info for someone, in an FAQ on the recently released update Microsoft have stated that..

"If it’s been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won’t get the November update right away; this will allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the November update."

So if you recently upgraded to W10 and are wondering why you're not seeing the update now you know. :)

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So, I upgraded from Win 8 Pro (retail) to Win 10 Pro. However, I have now changed motherboard. I *should* be able to install Win 10 and activate on my new board right?

Well.... it doesn't seem as simple as that as its currently not allowing me to activate.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

So what happens, does it offer any options?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you might need to put your win 8 key in to activate, as the upgrade was tied to your motherboard

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If you installed Windows 10 that includes the November update you should be able to use your Win8 key to activate Win10, if you don't have Windows 10 with the November update included you would have to reinstall Windows 8 and upgrade that to Windows 10.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you had a Microsoft account signed in when you updated, it should activate automatically. If you don't (i.e. a local account) the hardware change means you will have to phone Microsoft to activate in the same way as with previous versions of Windows.
    Microsoft are very good at activating legitimate retail keys over the phone. I've even had L2 live file a bug report after I stumbled upon an activation edge-case (due to Windows 8, and Windows 8 with Media Centre, having technically different keys).

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK the activation is not tied to your Microsoft account, it's tied to the hardware ID.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

So what happens if you use your Microsoft account to sign in on multiple machines? Do you have multiple IDs linked to your account? How will it know you're using different machines legitimately, not just rapidly changing parts?

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Nothing the activation is tied to the hardware not the user signing in on a Microsoft account.

No, the hardware ID is totally separate from a Microsoft account the two are not linked in any shape or form.

Because the license is tied to the hardware not the user.

Note: It could be different with the technical previews.

11. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Waiting for my upgrade.. can't wait how Win10 works on my PC and hopefully be able to upgrade it without any problem.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am potentially going back to Windows 8.1, until nVidia and Microsoft pull there fingers out and get drivers that work properly.

Current issues I have is, not being able to run 2 monitors in my system if they are both of different resolutions and use different connectors and also Shadowplay will not record gameplay footage anymore since the last updated driver, at 1920x1080 but instead records at 1728x1080.

1st monitor is a Asus PB287Q 4K monitor connected via Display Port, second monitor is a Acer 1080p monitor connected via DVI.

When the Asus monitor is only connected it will run at 3840x2160 60Hz but as soon as I connect the Acer monitor the Asus monitor will only run at 3840x2160 30Hz or 1650x1050 60Hz.

Going to install Windows 8.1 on a small hard drive tomorrow and try it and see if it works properly and if it does then I am going back to Windows 8.1, but if it doesn't then for me it just makes it even easier for me to switch to AMD cards regardless of performance for my next cards.

13. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

My Fury X runs my Frankenstein monitor setup just fine through 10.
    19" @1440x900 through DVI to displayport adaptor, 24"@1920x1080 through DVI to HDMI adaptor, 27"@2560x1440p through displayport.

Game primarily on the 27" monitor at 60hz while I can still browse and whatnot on the other two just fine (still both at 60hz).
    Haven't tried gaming using two or three screen as they're all at different heights and all are just too different to try to match up.

But anyway, that's my experience with AMD :D

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Prior to the last 3 driver updates from nVidia I was running both monitors perfectly but, the last 3 have stopped it showing the native resolution as it would normally but the previous 2 drivers to the current one allowed a custom resolution to be used with both monitors attached.

The newest drivers don't even allow the custom resolution to work.

Going to be busy tomorrow but I am sick of nVidia at the moment with all the crap they are pulling.

It would appear though that Microsoft are not having good times with the update to windows 10 the other day as it appears alot of people are having issues with it.

15. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well, you do have older gen Nvidia cards. We all know how much Nvidia constantly wants you to refresh your cards.
    What better way than to totally bork your multi-monitor options?

16. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Reinstalled 10 to see how it'd improved with the november update. It felt a lot more stable imo, however it seemed to be using 60+% disk usage most of the time, coupled with the fact the UI still feels worse on a tablet, no swipe gestures in edge still, no real fullscreen tablet edge and no adblock for edge made me switch back again to 8.1.

They also have some start screen organisation issues when you rotate the screen.

Parge, good luck getting it sorted, let us know if you do.

18. Parge

Quick update.

Went on the MS customer support, chatted with a technician via web chat, he took remote control of my computer, I showed him my Overclockers account where I purchased my new motherboard, he verified the system details, I gave him my Win8.1 Code, and he generated a new Win 10 code and activated windows for me using remote access.

Boom, 20 minutes later, job done.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Glad you got it sorted mate. Did you upgrade your motherboard, or did something break? Was thinking of upgrading my desktop to W10, but I had ideally wanted to upgrade my PC and I didn't want it to cause 'issues' with possible changes between my retail W8 and W10.

20. Parge

Upgraded my motherboard yes. New CPU too.