1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mr3D - Project Tatami (mATX computercase from scratch)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr3D, 22 Mar 2015.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

At least I'm consistent: I always do it wrong, no matter how I'm told. :p

2. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

About the CNC-machines. When everything is setup and ready to run, it usually goes really quick(sure, maybe not the fins for the WB, but "regular stuff"). Knowing how to clamp the part, in what order to to all the moments and which tooling to use is really important, something that most people don't know(as p0pe said). Next thing is the programming, I know I showed a pic of the tool-paths somewhere(maybe twice) in the log, to show you how it works. But I guess I need to show you more pictures how it actually works.

You can anodize in a whole lot different ways, and different aluminum alloys give different results. In my case the anodizing is just for decoration, the thickness of the anodized layer is around 0.02mm(a straind of hair is around ~0.04-0.05mm). The anodizing give it a scratch resistant surface(compared to the soft aluminum). You won't be able to scratch it with your nail, but if you use a knife you might be able to remove it, depending on how aggressive you are.

If you take 2 aluminum parts(non anodized) and smash then together, you can hear that the surface is soft, but with anodized parts you can hear that the surface is much stronger. It's like a super thin hardened surface on the aluminum.

Build related: I just applied to Dreamhack casemod championship in Sweden. If I get an invite you can check the case out live if your going to the event. I'll keep you updated on this when I know more. :)

http://dreamhack.se/dhw15/2015/09/16/dreamhack-winter-2015-casemod-championship/

How about some images of the whole case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

MMMMMMMmmmmmmm, Baby!
    I must be having a senior moment. I don't remember seeing that suspicious naked south bridge.

4. mikediflip

mikediflip What's a Dremel?

Just spent over an hour going through this log, I cannot even fathom words. Truly amazed.

5. rogergamer

rogergamer What's a Dremel?

I see, thanks!

6. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Well, right now it actually isn't naked... Made a heat-sink for it last weekend. (check the video link below, that's the one. I'll update the log with it later.)

Thanks man! I'm glad you took the time to read it all!

About milling. I put together a really bad video how NC-milling works, for you who don't know, you might want to watch it. Or not, it's bad. :duh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJlfKyWZpaQ

And a teaser you might like...

[​IMG]

Brutally cutting a innocent slab of copper... :lol:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It was good, quite a lot goes into it, the great unseen of CNC milling, I'd still be lost if put in front of a CNC mill. :D

Nice little heat sink too. :)

8. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Nice to see all the steps of it. Thought it was just put in and let the CNC pick all the drills. :p

9. Nexxo

Oh, the humanity! :p

Liked the video, thanks! :thumb:

10. Cheapskate

Oh God! He's got a youtube channel!! (They don't make a post-coitus face smiley, but it would be here.)
    That laser bit height scanner. (need another obscene smiley here..)
    That vid was pretty comprehensive.:thumb: Your camera was hell bent on focusing on the glass, so pausing to switch to a tripod/fixed focus would have worked better there.
    The sped up 5-axis vid was COOOOOOL. I played that with the audio full blast.:D
    More like sensually molding an innocent slab of copper. I'm betting Patric Swayze's ghost was hugging the mill.

11. Nexxo

OK, that conjures up way too many icky images. >_<

12. Cheapskate

It was worse. Instead of hugging the mill, I originally typed 'spindle.' :lol:

13. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

bowchickabowwow!

14. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Didn't expect y'all to like the vid so much! All I saw was the defects in it. *cough*shittyenglish*cough*

About the camera/video. It was 100% impulsively made. Just recording some clips with my cell phone, then mash it together.

Dude, that 5-axis video is like 3 years or so.... :D When I was studying for CNC-operator.

Hey bby gurl, wanna see my "spindle"? :baby::naughty:
    Yeah, I know all the machinist pickup-lines in the book. :eyebrow:

How about some updates about the GPU block and stuff I did last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the X99 cooler finished.

For those of you who missed the video on the previous page, here is it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJlfKyWZpaQ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When designing a water block, I need to know what to design it after. I used my works profile projector and height measurer to know how to draw it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the progress I made this weekend, most of it is done. Only the backplate left to mill the backside of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Annnnnddddd... A little something you probably didn't expect.

I visited my water-jet guy last friday. He cut this decorative piece from 0.4mm stainless steel. 3 of them was actually made to get it correct. The first one moved, so that wasn't good. The second one was a "compensation part", made only for measuring and compensation. The last one was perfect.

15. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Mind. Blown.

16. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

This entire thread leaves me speechless. Amazing work.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Epic worklog is epic!

Protip: If you place the part of the youtube url after the = between [ youtube] [ /youtube] tags, the site will embed the video into the page like so:-

18. Cheapskate

Right?!? All those cool toys from work... The insane precision...

GPU: More mystery with the acetal layer. Looks like you have a neat cover in the works.
    Inlay is gorgeous. I love that kind of thing, but doing it with my usual, (plexiglas,) is tricky.

19. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

This is what its all about.

Classier than Audrey Hepburn.

20. Cheapskate

That makes my logs as classy as Britney Spears, then.:(