1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: F.E.A.R

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 20 Nov 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

What a game! One of the best of my secondary school days. Nothing as satisying as the nail gun in slow-mo!

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I remember this game. The Girlfriend still tries to use it to tease me to this day.

I'd been awake for 3 days. I'd had drunk nothing but energy drinks and had a headset on with skype running.

It's 3 am.

She's been in bed for hours.

I'm slowly edging round a corner when I feel a hand on my shoulder apparently I almost hit the ceiling.

I slowly turn around and try to get my heart back in to my chest to see the girlfriend standing there grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Asking me do I want a cup of tea and a sandwich.

According to the people on Skype I also screamed like a little girl. I still proclaim that it was a manly yell of victory as I continued killing things however.

but still a great game. It's a pity F.E.A.R 3 went the way it did.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Blast from the past this game, I remember trying to push my Radeon X700 to get every possible extra frame :D

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Loved this game, there hasn't been a with AI as convincing since. In fact this is one of the last single player shooters I enjoyed

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

To this day there is nothing more satisfying than pinning one of those frikkin infuriating ninjas to an office wall with the nail gun!

ZeDestructor likes this.
  7. dipzy

dipzy Minimodder

Easily one of the best pc game i've played, enjoyed every bit :)

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

F.E.A.R was great. First game I bought to really push my X1900XT (and later XTX which was a free upgrade when my XT decided to go *pop*).

I guess everyone's different but the horror bits really freaked me out. The AI, the fact you could see your own feet (a first, IIRC, in FPS games)...

..good memories.

Also enjoyed F.E.A.R 2, although 3 was a real letdown...

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Rick, my favourite weapon was the HV Penetrator. The combination of that 'Dunk-dunk-dunk' sound and the giant fricking nails that pinned things to the wall made it so much fun. The lightning/rail gun thing that reduced basic mooks to red mist and a blackened skeleton was quite fun too.

It's a bit of a shock that it's suddenly ten years old though. This was one of the first video games I can remember having reaction videos on Youtube (remember when that was a new thing too?), they were hilarious then.

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I remember this being the first game I played on my new Radeon X850XT at the glorious resolution of 1280x1024 :)

11. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Not to derail the thread but Doom on the PlayStation had such a good ambient track with babies crying and such that my gf at the time would fall asleep whilst I would pay and she would have awful nightmares, usually waking with a scream and me laughing... Fear was good at that too!

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The blasphemy, the horror, stay back devil, thou shalt not take the name of the super-shotgun in vain. :eeek: :D

13. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

Weird, I reinstalled this on Monday to see if it was as good as I remember. It IS! Apart from the part where I got stuck because all the corridors look the same.

14. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

awesome game, I first played it in the dark and I thought spookyness was perfect .. I was scared of a little girl lol
    I've just been playing FEAR 2 , graphics are better, but I think I'll have to revisit the first one again soon

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've never played it.

When it first launched I was skint and had to sell my gaming PC (Athy XP 1800 OC to 2300 speed and a FX 5950 ultra). By the time I could afford a gaming PC again many years had passed and FEAR 2 had been out for about a year so I decided to try that. Loved it !. Sadly FEAR 3 was impossibly hard so all it left me feeling was frustration.

Going back to screaming like a little girl? hehe ! I remember playing Doom 3 on my gaming rig just before I sold it and the double take bit in the bathroom when you look in the mirror had my arse clear my seat by a good foot. I was sitting in my chair cross legged like a hippy and I jumped so hard that I broke my keyboard tray and sent my keyboard flying lmao.

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I still rate the moment that Fettel whacks you with the plank as the single best jump shock I've had in any game. For me its never been equalled, certainly never bettered.

I agree on the AI being superb and whilst the fleeting glimpses of Alma have lost their impact after repeat plays, they still make me a bit twitchy. The first game was definitely the best in the series, the other add ons and sequels did have their moments but it just wasn't the same.

I think I'll pay it a visit again, some time soon.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2015
  17. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I like to reinstall it every now and then just so I can turn all the settings up to max and revel in the fact that I own a machine that can run FEAR at max settings.
    It feels weird to have a retrospective that makes not one mention about how taxing the game could be on the computers of the era.

18. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

This game was so intense. I remember getting a brand new x-fi soundcard with 64mb onboard memory and this game. It really made you feel like you where in the game.

19. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I think F.E.A.R was the only game that gave me genuine freights. Back then I had my PC hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound amp which maybe added to the immersion. I have still to jump while playing a game like I did in F.E.A.R though.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Jesus christ I thought it looked better than that.

Tags: Add Tags