1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi launches new Zero, the £4 PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I know you can use USB dongles, but Integrated wifi would be a real boost on these. I assume that can be achieved through GPIO and Arduino parts too?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You could add Wi-Fi for under $3 at AliExpress prices, and wired Ethernet for the same - that's how much a compatible dongle and USB OTG adapter would cost. So, under £7 for a *networked* PC. Pretty neat, huh?

4. David

I have OTG adapters and dongles - I was just wondering about the GPIO route for integration with Arduino add-on boards. I have an as yet unformed plan (read vague desire) to try and run a mechanical arm off the back of a Arduino robot car, with the Pi as the brain.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Depending on what you're doing, the GPIO port alone with no Arduino might be enough. Realistically, though, you get a lot more flexibility by sticking a $2 Arduino clone on top of a Pi - and you don't even need to tie up the USB port: just wire the Arduino's serial to the Pi's serial (using a bidirectional level shifter if you've bought a 5V Arduino, or direct if you've bought a 3.3V version) and wire the power lines together. Bosh!

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Also available stuck to the front of MagPi magazine #40, at all good newsagents for £5.99
    Just think, we're here to see the world's FIRST cover-mount computer giveaway! :jawdrop:

7. David

Been in Sainsburys, Morrisons, Spar and the local Co-op.

No joy. :(

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Just spent my lunch hour in Manchester trying to hunt some of these down...didn't see a single one (or even a space where they might have been).

:(

9. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I am just going to subscribe will be easier than looking, I have not even bothered trying to find one in Manchester today as I don't think numbers of stock would be high enough.

10. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

If they left the CSI connector (even unpopulated one), this would be worth a look, now - meh. Odroid-W was better.
    p.s. anyone have any info on unpopulated J5 connector at the bottom side?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Pads linked to the JTAG interface in the VideoCore GPU, for an FFC connector.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's an incredible achievement. I talked the other half into sacrificing her lunch to pick up a copy of MagPi for me (I'm amazed she found a copy in Tesco) and I've got another arriving from The Pi Hut tomorrow.

I really really hope they continue to produce this model. It really is astonishing that they can do this for the same price as a pint. I still can't wrap my head around it.

But that would add cost and would probably push it over $5. Which leads me to my next point: The Odroid-W was $30, this is $5. It's 1/6th the cost.

We've reached the point where a fully functional computer is so cheap that it can be distributed for free on the front of a magazine, and people still want more?!?!

EDIT: Gareth beat me to it.

13. Gareth Halfacree

As an aside: every time HardKernel release a new Odroid, I send 'em an email saying I want to review it for two international print publications with a very interested readership. Never had a reply. Not once.

14. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

This looks great, and the price is amazing. I rang up MagPi earlier because issue 40 is out of stock online. They said that they are indeed out of stock for all new subscriptions, however they're speaking to the publisher about printing more and they should hopefully know early next week. They took my contact info, so it might be worth doing the same thing if you're interested in taking out a subscription :)

15. Gareth Halfacree

Four words for you, there: "research and development costs." The Pi is cheap because the BCM2835, its most complicated component, already paid off its R&D costs: it was obsolete before the first Pi was ever released, having been originally developed and sold for multimedia set-top boxes, and would long have ceased production had the Pi not rescued it from oblivion. Compare and contrast that with the custom SoC Apple developed for the iPhone 6 and you'll see where a chunk of the 'missing' money is going.

Sure, Apple makes a big profit - but it's not as big as selling price minus direct manufacturing cost.

EDIT: Damnit, I said I wasn't going to comment on news articles any more, didn't I. Okay, I'm shutting up now.

16. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

its not a fully functional computer, at best its a SOC breakout board. You still need microSD card at min, prob. a usb hub, power supply, some sort wifi/ethernet adapter.
    C.H.I.P looks a lot better, for not a lot more. Even EMW3165 or ESP8266 is better than this for most of applications (look at Rpi projects, majority can be done on 8bit mcu).
    HardKernel had no backing of Broadcom, was not subsidized in any way and needed to make a profit.

p.s. farnell listing it for 16Eur...

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hate to break it to you, but I think you broke that little vow a while ago :)

18. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Would have been an impulse buy at the stated price despite very modest CPU and RAM ... But at 16+ EUR apiece they can keep it.

19. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Couldn't find any issues :(
    Shame, would've loved to have a play.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

What a shocker :jawdrop:. The richest company in the world has a high markup on its products.