1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

My thoughts exactly [emoji19]

2. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

Eh?!
    i would rather see the mATX, but life has a way of changing everything

so show us the internals and the lack of plumbing all ready!
    we need a vid!

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

:duh: I thought it was an update...

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Me too my heart actually stopped for a moment.

Harumph. A very loud one at that.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, Is it bump season? I saw a Modsquad project bumped too.:(

6. disturbed13

tis the season right?

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ah Modsquad and Craigbru project logs..

Those were the good old days when everything wasn't just individiually sleeved cables and expensive photography...

8. Cheapskate

You get a grumpy old man part added during one of your surgeries? :lol:

9. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

I don't see the fun in that (bumping). Please elaborate (I'm not mothertongue so maybe I'm missing something...:worried:)

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nah, thats genetic..

And you get a booster when you get your British Passport.

11. disturbed13

everything is getting smaller
    it (for me) would have been a bit more interesting to see him deal with the mATX (in all of its small size) instead of shrinking the size.
    but im just... weird/disturbed

12. Cown

Cown Minimodder

13. Gramps-Makarov

Gramps-Makarov What's a Dremel?

+1
    Not okey! :geek:

14. Fsylar

Fsylar What's a Dremel?

following from kenya

15. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I really should check in more than once every 4 years or so, huh guys? I figured I'd give a progress update regarding this project as it stands right now. In short, there has been another major revision. You shouldn't be surprised at this point, but it's a side effect of progressing technology. As my needs change, I've discovered I need less and less space. Viable ITX sided GPU's are now an option, as well as high capacity SSD's. In fact, I haven't used any 3.5" drives in several years. I've got a nice NAS setup that helps relieve any burdens. Also, with companies like HDPLEX offering a very nice 400w power supply option, overall size case is even less of a concern. Independent SFF case manufactures are springing up like weeds too. That's all well and good, but it's really helped redefine what I want in a case. It could be argued that if I'd actually finish a mod as planned, I'd have kept up with the changes and each revision would have just been a new mod. I wish I had that kind of time!

Speaking of time, I've simply had way less of it than expected. I've been prioritizing other projects, and that's all on me. I moved a few years back, and lost my dedicated shop space in the process. At least one that was heated and cooled for all weather working. That said, I'm currently adding an addition to my current house which will allow me to take care of that shortcoming. With a properly set up shop space, I'm hoping to finally make some ground again. A lot has indeed happened since the last post in this thread, so I'll give a quick recap.

I did get a new CNC machine! A CNC RouterParts 48x48 Pro. Size is no longer a concern. Ironic since I'm a SFF guy...

[​IMG]

Oh, and I picked up a 3d printer too... Which itself has already seen multiple upgrades.

[​IMG]

Oh, and Jeeps, yes, they are still a passion of mine. This one has extensive mods.

[​IMG]

I also haven't forgotten about carbon fiber.

[​IMG]

So, with all that out of the way, let's talk about this project for a minute. Below are the newest renders. You can see the new outer shell design and a few interior pics. The interior will be 3D printed. I've not decided on whether or not I'll print or mold the outer shell yet. There are pros and cons either way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, not happy enough about the renders? How about some real life test prints? Please do keep in mind these were printed at higher speeds than normal, and are just for test fitment and revision purposes. When printed for the last time, the layers will be much smaller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, where does that leave things now? Honestly beyond a few revisions, I don't expect any real progress to be made until sometime early next year. I am sorry for the semi-update update. All that have followed from the beginning of this thread, what's a little bit longer? Haha.

16. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

Now there's a blast from the past :D

craigbru likes this.
  17. Cheapskate

As someone who just spent 5 years on a single build, I think I have the right to tell you you are a massive tease.

craigbru likes this.
  18. craigbru

Yeah, tell me about it! We're coming up on 10 years since the first post in this thread. So much has changed in that time.

Haha, it's totally deserved! I suppose there have been so many revisions, it's not even the same project anymore aside from the name.

19. craigbru

So, if you all don’t mind a little backstory, I’d like to recap the mindset and associated revisions that brought me to this point. Just a little insight to my design numbering convention. As of last night, I hit version 9.9.5 with the OSIDIAS project. The leading number indicates the overall project idea, or platform if you will. It’s the fundamental layout and initial design aesthetic. The second number indicates major structural revision. It would be a change significant enough that it would be hard to revert, at least not without some difficulty. Think of multiple changes that dictate how parts interact or fit. The last number indicates minor revisions that may involve a single part, but are more easily reverted without affecting other components. I bring all of this up, just for context on how long this project design has been going on, even despite the apparent lack of activity here.

As previously stated, changing needs and evolving technology meant my original ideas were no longer practical. After the ROGUE project, I really wanted to step up my game. Even more packed into a smaller case, and this time from scratch. It was very ambitious, but I don’t feel the end results were out of reach. Changing circumstances delayed the project long enough, that by the time I was ready to jump back in, certain aspects were no longer practical. It’s fair to argue that none of it was ever really, that practical. It was beyond what a ‘normal’ computer needed to function, but that was the fun part!

Looking back, there were really 4 major things that contributed to the most design change. The first being that GPU’s and SLI/Crossfire setups were seeing diminished value. Single GPU’s were capable of keeping up with most usage scenarios. Having a second GPU was no longer considered a ‘must have’. So, if we drop a GPU, this creates a domino effect. No longer is a mATX motherboard needed. ITX is suddenly a great option, and that brings us to the second major change. A smaller motherboard certainly opens up a few more design ideas. Third, without a second GPU, you can easily move to a smaller power supply. In the case of the MPD-01 project, a 500w unit from Shuttle certainly fit the bill due to its footprint. Taking it a step further, a 400w HDPLEX unit will find it’s home in OSIDIAS (technically it already has, since I’ve been running a system with it for over a year). Lastly, there is no longer a need for 3.5” hard drives to populate my systems. SSD’s are a much better alternative now that the capacity vs. cost gap has become more justifiable. Each one of these 4 points, allowed for a reduction in size and further evolution from the original concept.

With all that said, one of the biggest drivers for the latest version is the addition of my 3D printer. It’s opened up some truly amazing and intricate design interaction that wasn’t really feasible before. Not impossible, but maybe not as practical. I was able to design single piece structures instead of multipart due to milling or construction limitations. Case in point, one of the core ideas of OSIDIAS, was quite literally the ‘core’ or removable inners to which all components were affixed. No matter how many revisions I’ve made, this is one thing that has never changed. Although I never made a formal worklog with the MPD-01 project, you can see this idea in practice below. Heck, since CPU Magazine went offline, I’m not sure these pics are anywhere else in full at the moment. So, excuse me while I derail my own thread for a bit…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whew, with that out of the way… I’ll cover more in the next post.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2019
  20. craigbru

/derail

So, back to the ‘core’ concept. Although it’s caught on in various places since I first started this thread, it’s allowed me more design flexibility. I can essentially get as creative as I want with the shell, and nothing internally is affected. I don’t need to deal with windows, panels, or components that are otherwise hard to access. What you see in the latest version of OSIDIAS, is this core concept refined to it’s functional bare minimum. It does everything it needs to do without being overly complex or cumbersome. As 3D printed, there are only 3 major parts. Motherboard side, GPU side, and case back. These 3 parts mount the motherboard, the GPU, the power supply, and a pair of SSD bays. In addition, most of the major wiring and the flexible GPU riser are within. What isn’t really clear in the pics I’ve already posted, is the fact that there will be a 56 position edge connector at the front of the core. This will interface with the LCD cable wiring, as well as the USB and audio ports on the front of the case. This will allow the core to be fully and instantly removable without disconnecting a single component…