1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zinfandel, 13 Jul 2011.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I only just started mine. Sandbox I propose given the challenge already in place.

My attempt at the MAV/MDV.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8kjnid4sb125rc/KSP 2015-11-15 20-13-49-41.bmp?dl=0

Have started to make a rocket to try and get it either into orbit or Direct to Duna.

2. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Be careful about those engine bells and ground clearance as Duna is not flat, don't want to knock an engine off while landing.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah appreciate that, the landing gear are actually not supporting the weight at the moment as they are not long enough and can't be mounted to the engine cowling.
    I may put a stack separator between the engines and lower fuel tank, then mount the landing legs on that, hopefully lowering them.

Performance wise, that MAV/MDV is PAD to space capable by itself, with an awesome gimble range on those new thrusters. The problem however, is that it is VERY heavy, so making a separate rocket to lift it and get it to Duna is a challenge. Challenge Accepted!

Speaking of Duna and landing in general, has any tried the new parachute physics yet? A drogue is now a must unless you have other ways to bleed off your speed. No more deploying all your parachutes at 2000 m/s...!

4. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

My most successful mission to date of a surface outpost on the mun supporting 5 kerbals, a research lab and some other stuff. Landed in the middle of a crater and detached to rover at 5m altitude before landing next to it. In doing this I have done 2 docking manoeuvres around the mun as well so I am fairly confident on docking, only have about 3 weeks left of gametime until a duna launch window so that is my next mission!

[​IMG]

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

That's a really nice lander and rover! how big was the rocket that got it into orbit?

6. atc95

Rover:
    [​IMG]

And Lander (just over 600 tons at launch), which I need to rebuild as it suffered from a 1500m/s loss of delta v explosion in kerbin orbit, might need to downgrade to a rhino for the kerbin to mun soi transfer.

[​IMG]

7. aramil

Mission Duna Crew Delivery Landing/return Craft designed:
    [​IMG]

Planned a slow boat to Duna (still in the works) but should carry the lander and other bits, Hab being sent on a quicker tug.

8. atc95

Looks good, I have just started my first ever trip to duna, and first trip outside of kerbin SOI for that matter. Have combined several missions in one and have a rover to leave on duna and lander for ike so that counts as my first component for the martian challenge I guess.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

That Rocket looks so small and simple, initially I was wondering how it would even get to Duna, then I realised all of my rockets since the start of the martian challenge have been hilariously over engineered and too complex as well as too heavy!
    Nice work!

Congrats! For me, getting Kerbals landed on Duna and a Probe to EVE have been my best achievements so far. Never been to Ike (that Duna's moon?) or any other planets/moons beyond minimus and the mun. Once the martian challenge is over, I really need to work in getting kerbal boots on the ground of Eve and perhaps a probe to Eloo.

Course lets not get ahead of myself, I can't even get that hilariously heavy MAV/MDV replica onto a stable orbit with enough fuel to go anywhere yet... so I am going to re-design the launch vehicle, probably with much bigger tanks around the main and probably with some Asparagus Staging. Wish me luck!

10. aramil

yeah that craft can reach Duna (direct from launch) which is how the secondary crew will arrive.

As for Primary:

Main Transfer stage Launched to orbit ready for fitting (255 days to transfer)
    [​IMG]

Hab Modules (side mounts) Rovers (top/bottom mounts) & lander docking (front) in progress (unmanned until crew delivered)
    [​IMG]

Docking orbital escape system:
    [​IMG]

Craft Moved to higher orbit and ready for crew! (154 Days to transfer)
    [​IMG]

All Launched from the launcher used in the lander picture with various payload configs.

11. aramil

Escape burn is a go!
    [​IMG]

Release escape section (section fuel used/dumping extra weight) and small burn to finalize course
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burn to orbit:
    [​IMG]

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Made it to Duna finally!

Launch and Transfer vehicle:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7rryvh5xp07jk/KSP 2015-11-29 20-00-37-37.bmp?dl=0

MVD/MAV on planet:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/csu0s0jd8ph0ds9/KSP 2015-11-29 19-12-39-16.bmp?dl=0

As a bonus, I also made to it eve, manned for the first time ever, sadly, my orbit was so bad, my approach was 3000 m/s, x4 nuclear engines with too much mass were not enough to slow me down, so I had to ditch everything that was not behind the ablator!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gz126299s48dnu8/KSP 2015-11-29 20-49-45-64.bmp?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/36p9mqxj13lhfs4/KSP 2015-11-29 20-53-54-48.bmp?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0knvcpfhubeciv/KSP 2015-11-29 21-01-01-05.bmp?dl=0

13. aramil

Nothing like a massive rocket ! well done!

And amazing job on Eve, lets see how you get your Kerbal Home.... :thumb:

14. aramil

Bumpety bump

Prerelease version of 1.1 available through steam.

64bit unity 5 goodness now available

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Very exciting, just saw Scott Manleys preview video for 1.1. Should make mods perform a lot better, let alone the main game and huge complex rockets should be less of a drain on performance.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2016
  16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Damn, looking at some of your rockets make mine look like flares!

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ok, so the new 1.1 update is accesible as pre-release via the 'beta opt-in' sub menu, it's about 1 gig in size.

First thing that stands out is how much faster everything loads, switching between any building or between space/kerbin or a planet is so much faster.

I did experience some odd physics behavior on an existing rocket though, just after launch it was spinning and warping like it was being pulled apart by a black hole or made of jelly. Weirdly it did not explode or fall apart until I tried to detatch the SRBs when out of fuel.

I tried a few of the new stock rockets after and they were ok so I assume it's something to do with the new physics impacting on some of the more absurdly and over complicated designs of mine lol!

Also the Nav ball icon / readout has been re-sized, made bigger, presumably to look better on a TV that you will likely be sat further away from in using big picture mode or the upcoming X Box 1 port.

Either way, so far, so good.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2016
  18. aramil

nb don't forget to right click kerbal in steam and select launch 64bit or find ksp64.exe in it's folder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

currently running at 6gb memory lol and many many mods

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Reminds me of this gif i saw on reddit yesterday

[​IMG]

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder