1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any 'vapers' out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 May 2013.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Low quality nicotine kills juices, I'll bet they've changed supplier and the end product has suffered.

When I first started mixing my own I had a great batch, then once that had run out I bought the cheapest I could find, which was so rank I ended up pouring it down the drain.

Been nic free ever since, yummy.

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you want a decent UK made nicotine base at very reasonable prices, have a try at the 7.2% VG or PG base from Vapers Emporium. I've been using it for nearly 2 years now. I'm down to 3 or 6mg depending on how I'm feeling, so 100mls lasts a LONG time and is less than a tenner.

3. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

+1 on this but I'm pretty sure my last purchase from them (over a year ago) was 1 litre for around the £60 mark? I've been running 50/50 homebrews for 15 months or so, I still buy the occasional commercially produced juice but mostly find them to be a bit rank TBH.

I'm still running a Subtank Mini but I don't like the vertical coils and din't get on with the original RBA so bought the RBA 2 - deep joy! :rock: I use a 3mm, 6 wrap, 26 gauge Kanthal simple coil with a Cotton Bacon wick and it's good up to around 25 Watts with no burnt hits on a 50/50 mix. Easy to build, works well for a mouth to lung.

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I'm starting to think a Jargon buster would be handy for people like myself.

The ones who want to start out vaping to seriously quit, but want good quality.
    What the differing resistances contribute to, different wick types, coil duration and what they actually do etc etc

There's probably a lot of us out there who just go to a shop, pick up the 'over the counter' e-cigs and don't end up quitting real ciggies because these ones are horrid.
    If there are any beginner websites out there that don't just want to sell you stuff, please let me know so I can do a bit of research before my kanger turns up.

5. Shirty

My advice would be to watch YouTube videos and experiment with coils and wicking until you're happy.

What Kanger kit did you go for? We're more than happy to advise if you hit a wall :)

6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I went with the Kanger Subox mini.

Got a 2500mAh battery to go with it and a few random flavours that were near 50/50.
    If I get on well with it, I saw that 8-bit are recommended for good price/quality, but their website isn't letting me register just yet.

7. Shirty

Watch the video below several times before it arrives, and get stuck in. Once you've mastered the art of rebuilding your RBA (rebuildable atomiser) deck the ongoing cost of ownership is limited to occasional cotton/kanthal wire purchases and whatever juice you throw in it. The kit you receive may or may not have some kanthal and cotton in it to get you started, but it's cheap enough to pick up - 26 gauge cotton and Koh Gen Do cotton are a good choice for this tank, but regular cotton balls will suffice perfectly well.

Once it's second nature I'd recommend grabbing an RDA (rebuildable dripping atomiser) to play with, you'll learn lots of new techniques playing with one of these, particularly a dual coil model.

(Rip is a bit of a berk, but his advice is mostly sound)

Finally, learn to mix your own juices if funds are tight. The Subtank can burn through lots of juice if you hammer it and premium liquids are painfully expensive. You can make 30ml of excellent juice for well under 50p once you've set yourself up.

8. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Ordered a Lavabox DNA200 and Smok TFV4 from Grey Haze last friday.
    It's not arrived, It was sent by Royal Mail Tracked Recorded 24, the tracking shows that the package has been dispatched but nothing else.

Beginning to think the package has been lost.

9. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Question for Shirty then, or anyone who's more experienced with the more advanced kits.

The OOC and RBA coils, what's the difference?
    Judging by the enclosed nature of the former and the open design of the RBA, I'm assuming the OOC is just a perishable coil that when it's gone, it's gone. But the RBA has a coil you can change when you want?
    I tried both and seemed to get a more cigarette like hit from the RBA, or was that just a fluke?

Last edited: 4 Dec 2015
  10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

You are correct, RBA means Rebuildable Atomiser so you can change the coil and wicking material yourself. The rba probably had more wicking material in there which gave you a tighter draw

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

11. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Excellent!

Well, I know which one i'll be using from now on. Though the seals did leak like a mother___ when I first put it together. Opened it up and the seal was poking out of one side. Might be an idea to invest in some plumbing black O-rings.

12. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I made a box. Its angry.

[​IMG]

Series mosfet box + 0,4 ohm setup.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

IIRC you got a subtank; there should be spare seals in the box. But if they weren't seated when you first assembled it then there's the reason for your leak. They do tend to slip out quite easily, especially when wet, but I've never had a leaking problem when the seals were properly seated.

14. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Nope, no spares with the subtank. The seals in general are very poor quality.

Read up on a few vaping forums and poor seals seem to be a fairly common occurrence with Kanger stuff. Bit rubbish for a product that costs the best part of £70 all in.

I'm getting some black rubber O-rings later on. Got some PTFE to put over the threads as well to seal the whole things up nicely.
    Only problem left then is any possible leaks through the air holes.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

:jawdrop:
    I got spare glass and O-rings on both sub tanks I've got (one as a tank and one as a subox mini kit)

16. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I got a spare coil for the RBA, a 'driver, and 3 spare screws. That was it apart from some wool for the RBA.

17. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Had a quick google, but none of the top results I looked at briefly had a concise step by step guide on what you should be buying and where to really buy it from.

I'm guessing the Vaper's Emporium is the best place to start? I saw it mentioned in this thread so i'll have a look around there.

I don't seem to go through a huge amount. After I'd sorted my leaking issue, I'd estimate I will go through 15ml in about 3-4 days. Even still, if I can make better stuff for cheaper I'd be a fool not to.

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

http://www.thealchemistscupboard.co.uk/DIY_Mixing_Starter_Kit_Gold/p1708884_9576441.aspx

Jobbed jobbed, I've been using them for everything need for home mixing for years with no bother, good liquids, keen prices and excellent delivery. They've screwed up once by sending me the wrong flavourings, and it was rectified within a couple of days.

You might want to add some additional flavours in addition to the 2 you pick with the starter kit so you can experiment more but other than a bottle of water http://www.thealchemistscupboard.co.uk/product/pure lab water as thier VG is now very viscous you'll be set.

19. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Just mixed my first 1 litre batch.

Good lord that was so much fun.

I've been using Vapable.com - I found the Alchemist Cupboard to be a bit pricey and lacking.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2015
  20. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Do recommend these juices - a new company I found on reddit called GoldfishSauce. £20/100ml and pretty good for the price.

Theres an active discount - ecreu for 10% off.

[​IMG]

I also highly recommend NovaVapes - £6 for a 30ml or £18/100ml, all their juices are delicious. Reddit10 for 10% off