1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project mATX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jeffinslaw, 12 Nov 2015.

1. Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Renders done by QinX

Hey guys! Long time no post. My name is Jeffery, I'm pretty active over on OCN, not sure why I don't post here more often. Lots of great build logs. You can check out one of my other builds in my sig. Well I'm back with another build log. This one has actually been going on for quite a few months but I couldn't post it over here at bit-tech since I didn't have any real pictures of modding. Just lots of screen caps. Well I finally have some decent progress pictures so I'll share them with you!

Introduction --------------------------------------

To order your case, please check out this link.

Well I'm getting that itch again, no not that itch, get your mind out of the gutter. It's time for me to do another build. Although, this one will be different. I will be designing my own case based on the Compact Splash. I will try my best to design a case that takes design elements from the Compact Splash case and have it be something I am proud of. I have some preliminary 3D models that I will try and show you guys.

Parts ------------------------------------------

Components for Build:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Gene X79
    GPU: 2x PNY GTX 970
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 Mhz
    PSU: Silverstone 600W SFX PSU
    Storage: 2x 500GB SSDs in RAID0

Looking forward to the process :thumb:

-Jeffinslaw

Table of Contents

Update 1 - 11/11/15
    Update 2 - 12/5/15
    Update 3 - 12/6/15
    Update 4 - 12/13/15

Last edited: 13 Dec 2015
  2. Jeffinslaw

Update 1 - The Case

Here is the only update I have so far. It includes some pictures of the design process and pictures of the prototypes I have received!

Some in progress pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some preliminary renders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the model was good to go so I contact some manufacturers. Here are some in progress shots the manufacturer sent me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the pictures I received, I could tell the case was quality. I didn't know just how quality it was until the prototypes showed up at my door. Here are some pictures I took of the unboxing:

[​IMG]

What could be better than ONE prototype?

[​IMG]

How about TWO???

[​IMG]

Packed well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my Compact Splash case next to my Project mATX case.

[​IMG]

I also received a white version as well.

[​IMG]

Some minor design changes between the two cases.

[​IMG]

Special designed pump brackets. A DDC version as well as a D5 version.

[​IMG]

A detail shot of the bends and the finish. Both excellent quality.

[​IMG]

Interior. Has room for two 2.5in drives.

Here are some better quality shots of the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore that sagging pump, it was fixed :blush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some SSDs mounted.

[​IMG]

With an mATX motherboard installed, the SSDs are hidden.

[​IMG]

You could even use an ITX board in here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of my pump mount.

I hope you guys enjoyed the pictures! If you are interested in purchasing the case, go ahead and sign up for an account at overclock.net if you don't already have one. Then, you can reserve your case by clicking the link here.

Thanks! - Jeffinslaw

Last edited: 6 Dec 2015
  3. rogergamer

rogergamer What's a Dremel?

very nice, I'm a whore for SFF cases!

4. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

looking good but one question. Case feet ???

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

this is exactly what i have been looking for!
    right down to the interior hardware layout!!!

one thing that would make me buy the case is, if the top rad could be moved forward - just enough to being able to mount small carrying handle(s) on top for easier lugging around...

will definately be following this one!

6. Jeffinslaw

Well then you should enjoy the build that I'll be doing in this case :thumb:

You could totally slap some case feet on this case. I'm actually thinking about doing that. Get some nice low profile feet from Mnpctech such as these ones.

Well unfortunately there won't be any case redesigns, plus, you can't push the top radiator forward or else it would interfere with the front radiator. HOWEVER, there is a good inch of space between the back of the case and the radiator so you could easily fit a handle there and then a handle on the front of the case. If you are at all interested in purchasing the case, I encourage you to go comment in my OCN Artisan thread to reserve a case :thumb:

-Jeffinslaw

Last edited: 13 Nov 2015
  7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great case design!

Great choice! :D

8. Jeffinslaw

[​IMG]

Sorry guys! This should have been posted earlier but I'm working with 5Mb/s upload. Takes forever to upload 20 photos. Here's a teaser, incase you couldn't figure out one of the sponsors :D

[​IMG]

Other sponsor will be revealed in a few days! You guys can guess on who it is :thumb:

-Jeffinslaw

P.S. The color correction on the upcoming photos is all over the place. I may need to go back and redo them.

9. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Where the res/pump combo is mounted on the rad' I'd suggest maybe strengthening the mount with a support/arm either from above or below the mounting plate of the bracket to the top or bottom holes on the rad ? on maybe just one side.

Oh and most/all of your pic's are stupidly large, resize please, thanks.

10. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Just out of curiosity.. What's the exterior measurements of the case? :)

11. Jeffinslaw

Resized ;) and the reason it is sagging is because I had the pump mounted all the way forward on the bracket. The sagging is easily fixed by mounting the pump further back on the bracket.

Exact dimensions are: Height: 32.78cm (327.8mm), length: 36.92cm (369.2mm), width: 16.51cm (165.1mm). In inches, that is 12.91in x 14.54in x 6.5in (H x L x W).

Will have some pictures with parts in the case this weekend! Things are getting crazy with the end of semester finals!

-Jeffinslaw

12. Jeffinslaw

[​IMG]

Update 2 - EK Sponsorship Parts

Heads up, the color correction is all over the place. Something I need to work with! Also, SilverStone has jumped on board the project after graciously sponsoring me a SX600-G for the build! Thanks Silverstone!

[​IMG]

Some nice black compression fittings! Sizes 3/8in x 5/8in.

[​IMG]

90° fittings as well as four EK HDC fittings with two, two slot tubes.

[​IMG]

A sexy EK Supremacy EVO in acetal and copper.

[​IMG]

RAM blocks in acetal and copper. The RAM blocks will be for fancy tube routing :wubsmiley

[​IMG]

Lots o' blocks!

[​IMG]

Stripping them down slowly... parents, this next part many not be suitable for small children.

[​IMG]

Ooh so sexy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DIMM modules.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed a pump as well! Went with a nice DDC w/ reservoir combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two radiators! Of the SE version. You would get away with push/pull on the SE in this case, just barely though. You'd be at 76mm of total thickness. Might fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture is really cool. Those radiators really are thin!

[​IMG]

And last but not least! Some Vardar F4's! Four of them for push.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black wire, I like!

[​IMG]

Black sleeving, I also like!

Hmm looks like I forgot to snap some pictures of the coolant. Well, it is EK Pastel Mint Green. Should look pretty nice in there with the hints of green sleeving and once all the red has been covered up.

Hope you enjoyed! Look for pictures of the power supply tomorrow and pictures of parts IN the case! Oh yes, I have the fans, radiators, and pump installed.

Oh yes, before I forgot, here is a picture a lot of people have requested! A size comparison between Compact Splash and Project mATX.

[​IMG]

-Jeffinslaw

13. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Cheers :thumb:

14. Jeffinslaw

Glad you approve now :)

[​IMG]

Update 3 - Big Things Come in Small Packages

The updated banner looking quite nice with those sponsors on there! Featured in today's update is the PSU I received from SilverStone, the SX600-G! Let's get on to the pictures!

[​IMG]

The box looks very similar to the 450w version (the PSU in Schwarz Nickel, my Compact Splash build).

[​IMG]

The different connectors.

[​IMG]

Specs.

[​IMG]

Technical mumbo-jumbo.

[​IMG]

Contents of the box. From right to left: PSU, manuals, SFX to ATX plate, mounting screws, AC power cable, and individual cables.

[​IMG]

I've had it with these snakes on this plane! Oh wait, those aren't snakes, they're cables.

[​IMG]

Nice flat black cables as well! SilverStone has revised the cables since I purchased my 450w version. That version has the thick bundle of rainbow wires.

[​IMG]

The unit itself!

[​IMG]

Hmmm... that looks small, but how small?

[​IMG]

OH! Very small!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully SilverStone doesn't mind I use a CoolerMaster power supply to compare :eek:

[​IMG]

If you guys are used to the huge full size power supplies, you will be shocked when you receive this unit from SilverStone. I'm still amazed that they can cram 600w of power into such a small footprint.

[​IMG]

And now... what you guys have been lusting for! Some pictures of stuff INSIDE the case! Woooo! Not much, just the front and top radiator/fans, the pump, and some tubing has been installed.

[​IMG]

I'm digging these runs so far, very organic and smooth. I love soft tubing compared to hard tubing. I love the natural, organic look it has to it. Just wish a company could come out with a flexible tubing that stays as clear as acrylic.

[​IMG]

No sag on the pump mount :) my suggestion when you get your case, *IF* your pump does sag, try flipping the bracket 180° to fix the issue. That worked for me.

[​IMG]

Connection to the top radiator.

[​IMG]

Just a random detail shot of my board.

[​IMG]

PSU installed. Good size :thumb:

[​IMG]

Nice SilverStone logo on the back!

And that's it for today's update! Hope you enjoyed the few pictures of the case :)

-Jeffinslaw

15. rogergamer

rogergamer What's a Dremel?

do you mind if I ask which company manufactured your case? I'm trying to draw out my own and send out the design to be made as well

16. Jeffinslaw

I'd encourage you to locate a local manufacturer. All manufacturers should be able to create a finished product similar to mine if they have all of the necessary tools.

Got a pair of GTX 970's in the other day. Bought them water block and backplates, matching EK of course ;) will get some pictures of those soon.

-Jeffinslaw

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Will the memory blocks now fit with the PSU in place?

Nice project.

18. Jeffinslaw

Unfortunately the PSU does not fit with fittings installed on the RAM blocks :( they could fit if EK had some short, stubby 90° fittings like Bitspower but they do not.

Thanks for the comment! :thumb:

-Jeffinslaw

19. Jeffinslaw

[​IMG]

Update 4 - Installing Blocks

Put the RAM and CPU blocks on their respective parts this weekend. Also filled the loop and turned it on only to discover it won't boot. So I have to take it all apart and find out why. Enjoy the pictures in the mean time.

[​IMG]

Using some spare RAM since finding a sponsor for RAM is about as easy as finding a unicorn.

[​IMG]

Plain packaging from EK for the Monarch modules.

[​IMG]

About 30 seconds with a heat gun on low was enough to remove loosen the adhesive. Ewww ugly green PCBs.

[​IMG]

Lining everything up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled! And yes, I did remove the protective stickers :) did that with the remaining two modules and then threw them in the system.

[​IMG]

CPU block.

[​IMG]

Box contents.

[​IMG]

Block itself.

[​IMG]

No scratches at all!

[​IMG]

Don't forget to always remove!

[​IMG]

So shiny!

Tried some outdoor shots but they aren't the best. There is supposed to be a blanket of snow on the ground this time of year here but ya know, "weather." Instead, it's bright and sunny, when it's not raining that is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to change loop order so I can flip the block around and have the EK logo facing the right way. Can't figure out how to remove the logo without scratching the hell out of the block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures!

-Jeffinslaw

20. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Challenge:

Fit another rad in the bottom!
    could possibly be achieved using a singlepass rad?!

PS. this is me being excited about the progress :thumb: