1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

using something for some reason other then its intended purpose

you know, life

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The 3rd Japanese hell: chasing cables with one chopstick.

I'm reminded of Archer and his childhood vacuum cleaner accident suddenly. :lol:

[​IMG]
    -Bill slipped me some Darkside LEDs a while back. I clipped a strip down to fit under the new GPU block and rewired it to connect to the on-card fan connector. Most know I salvage massive amounts of electronic components from old computers. When I got the Windforce card, I dug around for a matching connector, put it in the project-related bin, and forgot all about it. When it came time to do this, It was like: "I need a ...Oh, I already have one." :lol:
    I broke down and did all the switch wiring at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    -I wasn't going for pretty here. :p The idea is the toggle switch and both momentary switches are wired together, so you have to switch the on switch on, and press both buttons. I'm sick of people fiddling with my buttons. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -A better pic of the lighting test.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a block for mounting the GPU. I have to make a new one because I drilled the screw hole that goes in the card bracket wrong.
    [​IMG]
    -Et tu, gravity. It seems the parts fit together differently than the original tubing assembly, because I turned it on it's side. Yeah, there's a lot of play in the parts. This time around, I have collision against the pipe and the GPU block.
    [​IMG]
    -Anyway, wiring funtime. :( I have a lot of extra, and I don't really want to do any trimming. Nothing quite sucks like working out what wire is what on black ribbon cable.
    [​IMG]
    -3 extra inches on the 24 pin. I'm OK with this. -especially after seeing the snarl going into the plug. Before anyone says it: There's no f(gosh darn) room for individually sleeved cables. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -What's the friggen deal?! Everyone else was too long. I thought I'd re-wire this pig, but I have a reel of 40 wire ribbon, and this stuff is 50 wire. :( To make matters worse, I just tossed a massive pile of IDE cables that I could have used. I was worried this wouldn't work anyway, so I broke down and bought a decent cable that doesn't waste an inch and a half of it's length on a straight connection card.
    [​IMG]
    -The main power plug needs a quick-connect, or it would be trapped in two parts. I picked up some shielded connections and promptly hacked them into something useful.
    [​IMG]
    -Snip. Anyone need a DIY bathtub heater?
    [​IMG]
    -I don't need this extra plastic. Gimmie a few seconds with the ghetto lathe.
    [​IMG]
    -Alright, Time for the solder party.
    [​IMG]
    -De soldered, re soldered. I just hope to God the black wire was in the right place on the PSU I gutted for this part.
    [​IMG]
    -One of the voices in my head said it was a good idea to solder this in place. I think it was Eccles. :(
    [​IMG]
    -A little melted plastic to keep her from breaking a wire, or shocking the crud out of anyone. The case is just out of the shot. I kept it together to ensure I could get the plastic blob through the hole, and that the plugs were in the right position.
    [​IMG]
    -OMG! It came apart! I had to hammer the connectors on because of the extra material.
    [​IMG]
    -Rats! I think my body filler putty might be a little stiff. That's what I get for not using it in the 15 years since I found it.
    [​IMG]
    -Cheapskate plan B! Yes, that's tile mastic. I use it a lot patching up damaged woodwork in houses. It should be passable for a body filler on plastic. Some experimentin' is in the works. ;)

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  3. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

You should try mixing some wheat flour with vinegar. The sticky goop become rock hard and you'll have a edible connector...:D

4. Cheapskate

:lol: Nothing I typed as a reply can be repeated. -Hard, wet, sticky, nasty... Literally you posted a reply trap that ensures someone will say something embarrassing.

5. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

That's not what I've heard/gathered/seen ..... liar :naughty:

Oh and the builds coming on nicely, come the nuclear holocaust there'll be the cockroaches and this build left :thumb:

6. Cheapskate

That's hearsay, Your Honor!
    I might have trouble with those roaches. I'm planning to add rubber in parts. I saw Damnation Alley.

7. uerseya

I bring to your attention article no. 1 m'lud as you'll see the evidence is incontravertable, there's no need for the jury to retire .....

8. Cheapskate

:lol: Stop picking on me, or I'll post 50 pictures of my hard drive.

9. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

BUUUUUUUUUURNNNNNNNNNNN!

10. uerseya

Tear down the Wall .... of HDD photo's :wallbash:

Anyways I'm not picking on you, have I had a go at you about picture size or quantities :eyebrow:

I'm trying for 'ornorareree mod .... as I have no mod's to show off :waah::waah:

How goes the wiring ? there's not 50+ pics so I guess you're more busy moddin' than

11. Cheapskate

:lol:
    I'm uh... not working on it ATM. :worried:
    I'm re- mounting an 8 foot mirror.. by myself, so there's all kinds of wacky rigging being built.
    -and those stupid mounting clips they sell at the hardware store don't have space for the screws, so you have to bend a the heck out of them to work.

Edit: And I don't have any atx pins...or a crimper.:(

Last edited: 8 Dec 2015
  12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Just do it like the assholes did it in my house. They freaking GLUED the mirrors to the brick! Rested the bottom edge of the mirror on the backsplash and set it like that. The brick in my house is almost 200 years old. I know two things will happen when we decide to replace the mirrors. 1 they will break. 2 they will most likely pull half the brick out with them. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

13. asura

asura jack of all trades

Or 3, the bricks will randomly shift and the mirror will - with no prior notice - make a spectacular sound (how can a sound be a spectacle?) as it snaps... un-less they used a rubberised glue which remains flexibility when cured?

14. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

From the other crap I've found around here, they probably just used regular construction adhesive. The house was added onto in the late 80's and I believe this is when it was done. Nothing has cracked yet, so fingers crossed. The wall is one of the interior load bearing walls, so it probably won't move as much as one of the exterior walls that are exposed to the weather.

[​IMG]

15. Cheapskate

How much space do you have behind it? My trick with that kind of thing is to saw it free with a wire cable, although getting through some glues might be tough... I'd rather have your problem, honestly. I have a 100lb+ mirror held up with 2 clips mounted in drywall. Corner cutting builders...

This neighborhood had a "mason" or maybe two that didn't use anything to tie the brick to the structure. I knew someone that was almost killed when their 2 1/2 story high fireplace facade collapsed. I also have a house that was so badly built that I had to custom cut all the doors so they would close. The place was like PeeWee's playhouse.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Lol sounds almost welsh although my house is built with 22inch stone walls when I moved in there was a door that I could get my hand in the room over the top of the door when it was closed :eeek:

17. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Looking nice :D GPU block is pretty amazing, nice job!

I see what you mean about the cable :eek: that just sucks monkey ****

18. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Yea, that would probably work, but see the corner? It's like that on both sides. About an inch of space to the side walls. I think we'll just keep it this way.

PeeWee's playhouse??
    [​IMG]
    The window is level, the house, not so much!! :rock:

Last edited: 12 Dec 2015
  19. Cheapskate

Ah, but the sides are at least parallel.:lol:
    @Teel - We had a house that was a block away from the 1976 grain elevator explosion. I had to chop the door to the garage about 3 inches because the wall leaned so badly, it would strike the floor about 1/4 of the way open. The house was solid. It's just like it was bounced a bit.
    @Crown - Thanks!:D I have a LiHeat cable coming via slow boat.

20. Cheapskate

Spent the holidays buffing my tube...

Hi kids! It's the holiday version of Groundhog's Day. I'm just peeking out from my bunker real quick. If I see my shadow, you will get two more weeks of scary drivers.

[​IMG]
    -So...What did I get for Christmas? Well, It was neatly wrapped.
    [​IMG]
    -I managed to blow up more hardware on the mill setup. I'm slowly pushing my way back to 1990.
    [​IMG]
    -Most of this update is just to prove I was doing something during quiet time. I sanded the plumbing down and removed a lot of stamping and logos. To my horror, I found the old pipe I was using had branding stamped into it.:(
    Check out that sexy, filthy shirt.:D
    [​IMG]
    -OK, now check out the shirt. That's 2 sanding passes on one tube.
    [​IMG]
    -Rockin' the craft foam. I need to isolate the PSU exhaust from the rest of the rig. I'll have a vent in the front of the housing.
    [​IMG]
    -I got a new PCIE riser from LiHeat. I'll be testing it soon with all the plumbing in place.
    [​IMG]
    -:lol: Someone left me a can of spray lacquer. I got these like this with files, 80 grit sandpaper, then 180 grit, 240, 300, 400, 600...(Then REAL 400 grit 'cause it turned out the 4 was an 8)... Then finished up with #7 heavy polishing compound.
    They didn't come out spectacular because I was working with poor lighting again. The sun has been picky about coming out this month...:p
    [​IMG]
    -Wait...I thought we were going for a grungy metal look?
    [​IMG]
    -I needed a spacer for the SSD so I could plug the cables in. I whipped this little purple thing out real fast. (Stay classy, Cheap.)
    [​IMG]
    -That works. Now I just have to attach that power connector to the PSU. The one in the pic was clipped off a different PSU.
    [​IMG]
    -Ghetto time! There's a white sticker on the back of the SSD. I needed something shiny to cover that, and the inside of this mylar candy bag is silver.:D
    [​IMG]
    -Do you see any text in the purple? NO! With this, I have enough to put the core together and do a test run Then I can get started on the outside. I'll leave touch-ups like cable cleaning for another time.

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017