1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Minimum Spec for VR:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

I'm not up with GPUs, but isn't the 980 one of the best cards you can get before you start having to get exotic?

I'm glad I'm waiting till the CV1 is out before I buy a new GPU... any new ranges expected out early next year?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Second tier (980ti/TitanX) is the fastest.

Definitely a good plan to wait until next year. Pascal (Nvidia) and Arctic Islands (AMD) should offer a decent performance bump. Rumoured release is Q2.

Jehla likes this.
  3. GMC

GMC Minimodder

So I'll need more RAM but is my i5-4690 with R9 290 gonna be enough for VR?

4. Parge

I'd say your RAM and CPU will be fine.

Your 290 technically falls below recommended spec for the game (GTX 980) - but maybe you'll be able to reduce some details?

The thing about VR is, dips in framerate just aren't 'acceptable' in the way they are on a normal screen. You have absolutely got to be hitting 75+ fps at all times.

Its a bit difficult right now because the headsets are getting released at the tail end of a GPU generation.

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Disappointing as the 290 fell within the original spec minimum. New card next year then

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

SC is just a game that hasn't had a chance to disappoint people yet.

7. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Took me days to find a star port with SRV hanger in stock. Sorted now and driven around twice thus far.

Last night I was low flying over an ice planet and impressed by the sense of speed at low level. Flies like a fast jet. Still in the process of setting up HOTAS with the SRV. Would be nice if the turret could be linked to Oculus head tracking.

8. Stanley Tweedle

It's already failed in bizarre and wacky control scheme.

I like the ambition but I prefer Braben's more focused approach where each season is a fully playable simulation. Roberts has great ambition but wants to do it all at the same time which means there still is nothing more than a tech demo at this stage.

Edit: Why am I posting two consecutive posts?

Last edited: 6 Dec 2015
  9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Setup the voice attack system yesterday on this and so far it's excellent although when my X55 Rhino arrives, I think I will have plenty of buttons etc to not need the voice attack but will see.

Just started doing the Hutton Orbital GIMPP run, did the nebula and Sag A* a few weeks ago and now just need to do the bubble stations.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Tried a bit of this at the weekend again, for the first time in a little while. Still love the ships, controls, combat variety and flight, as well as the scale of it and how the planets/suns grow in size at a rate that feels natural as you approach them.

But once I started looking for work, (fully A rated ASP, with about 64T of Cargo and heavily armed/armored) I ran into the one big issue that been been bothering me for ages now - the scaling of the mission payouts is still piss poor. I have high standing with numerous local factions yet many of the missions offered are between 30 and 100k for some not insubstantial time/effort in them. Now that was ok back when I was packing a Viper or Cobra but where is the risk/reward scaling?

Assassination missions are too easy in an A rated ASP, I don't understand why the mission rewards are not graded by a combination of faction standing, ship type and level and risk/reward. I was offered one 1 million mission, to hunt down 12 targets across up to 3 systems, but I question if it's worth the effort of finding them all, given I could just farm bounties in a roid belt and probably earn more for less flying about.
    I know Elite is billed as a choose your own adventure but I was really hoping post factions update they would have done some significant work on the standard mission structure and payouts. I should not be getting given poverty missions at this late stage in my Elite Career. I cannot imagine going to the effort of getting an A rated Clipper at rewards levels similar to my early adventures. :/

Last edited: 7 Dec 2015
  11. Parge

Yeah, the mission rewards pretty much suck don't they! Shame, as really, they should be the key component of the game!

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I agree. Time and effort spent on missions deserve more pennies as a rewards.
    Still I feel like grinding brings more money... shame cause I would spend more time having fun doing missions than cargo transfers...

OK, I've been out for a while - what is happening? I new add-on worth the money? Who has played it?
    Is it 15th to be out?

13. Parge

I haven't played it because I'm studying for a job interview right now, but so far the reactions have been generally very positive. I don't know if it adds a huge amount of much needed depth to the game which is a shame, but it certainly adds another huge component to it.

In my eyes, I'd still like to see

• Missions that join up and dynamically alter depending on the outcome of missions before
    • More variety of space stations, and more to do in the area around them
    • More reasons to go to asteroid belts
    • Extremely dangerous asteroid belts with fast moving asteroids that collide
    • Natural phenonema (like suns going supernova)
    • Powerplay expanded to be an easy to access overarching and dynamic galaxy 'story'
    • More involved mining that was a risk (blowouts etc) with rewards for mining more risky sites
    • A reduction in time spent coming out of Supercruise. This is a boring and dumb system. Its already slow enough flying between systems, planets, suns and stations, why drag it out even further?

I'm not hugely fussed by the extra components Horizons will offer in parts 2, 3 and 4 of seasons (Multi crew, CMDR Creator etc)

Really though, I'm waiting on an Oculus Rift. COME ON OCULUS!

14. Stanley Tweedle

HCS voice packs for voice attack?

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not long started playing this; in just over a week I've racked up 26 hours so far.

I still have no idea wtf I'm doing. I was going to start looking into mining, but I seem to be making a ton of money smuggling slaves instead... when I'm not being interdicted and blown to pieces...

And docking using a control pad is ... hard work.

16. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I've only tried mining briefly, must be one of the least enjoyable thing to do in game. The money is also poor.

Once your in a cobra or better you should be able to outrun almost anything you can't beat (assuming weapons and shields). The main exception being the imperial clipper, the "pirates" choice.

17. Stanley Tweedle

I was the same with Elite when I purchased it a few months ago. What I did was watch youtube videos posted by other players... I actually find it fascinating watching these vids and learning from them. I sometimes do that on a day when I'm not playing Elite.

I feel for you with the control pad. Hate and detest the things. It's hard to describe how easy docking is with a HOTAS system.

I know they can be expensive but we've been discussing them over at Frontier forum recently and the affordable Thrustmaster T-Flight has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Joystick-PC-PS3/dp/B001CXYMFS

I use Saitek X52 pro but it seems that some have issues and complain about faults/breakdowns. I've never had one fail on me and neither have my friends.

The T Flight HOTAS throttle and joystick detach so you can place one either side of keyboard.

To be honest I can't even begin to imagine how bad combat is with a control pad. Those little thumbsticks just don't have the range or precision.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I've not long moved up to a Cobra, but I desperately need some more money to outfit it with some better gear. Plus I'm in danger of breaking the cardinal rule of never flying something I can't afford to replace!

You know what, I've been extremely impressed with how well a control pad can handle all the basic controls. Obviously yeah, there's no precise control at all, and combat can be... challenging. I'm sticking to gimballed weapons at the moment until I can get some precise control.

I knew that once I'd bought Elite it would only be a matter of time until I bought a HOTAS. The x52 and T Flight are two that I'm torn between. The T Flight looks like a good budget option, but part of me is still tempted to say bugger it and get the more expensive setup. Either way it'll have to wait until after Christmas!

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If you're going to spend the money a CH or Thrustmaster is the way to go for a 'serious' HOTAS set up. Saitek quality is too variable.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hah:) That was so funny:) dun.. dun... dun dun dun dun.. oh...:)

What is that, how can I get it?