1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Lenovo Vibe X3. Sales launch on 15th Dec it seems. Got to love stores selling it sooner :D.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

[​IMG]
    A Zhongyi Lens Turbo II Fuji FX to Canon EOS focal reducer. (Don't have any EOS lenses any more, but I'm using it as an intermediate adapter with EOS-M42, EOS-OM, EOS-Topcor, etc. for my manual glass.)

It really does what it says on the tin. The crop factor is reduced to near full frame, and lenses gain a stop of light (with a maximum of about f/1.2).
    Of course, there's some quality loss (as expected): wide open lenses are just a bit softer (esp. near the edges) and there is a bit of distortion present. I was pretty impressed the adapter didn't seem to add or exaggerate any chromatic aberrations though.
    I was surprised that the insane combo of my Sigmatel 135mm f/1.8 with this focal reducer (resulting in a 135mm f/1.4!) actually worked pretty well. The Sigmatel has quite a bit of spherical aberration wide-open by itself, so I expected it to become nearly unusable as anything but a soft-focus effect lens, but with the lens turbo the sharpness actually seems to stay exactly the same.

It's a small thing, but I also like they made it 2mm shorter than a regular FX-EOS adapter.

A word of warning though if anyone would want to use one with lenses with rear elements that protrude quite far into the mount: there's not a lot of room. Sufficient for most lenses, but my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lightly touches the glass with the helicoid right at infinity (actual focus past infinity, maybe due to the thickness of my EOS-M42 adapter). I'm pretty sure something like the original 8-element Super-Takumar 50/1.4 would not be able to reach infinity.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

£20 of Indian takeaway to my Office, because my life is glamorous.

Dining Al Desko it is.

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Not so much me buying this one as my wife buying it. But it was delivered to me so.... here we are, a Spyderco Dragonfly Tattoo:

[​IMG]

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

you've got to eat it with screwdrivers and pliers like the guys at Acorn if you want to be hardcore :D

I bought my lady a Wheels & Dollbaby tank top on Friday after seeing that her pile of Xmas pressies was much bigger than mine. Cost a fair few bob and I wasn't expecting it before Xmas but got a nice surprise when I received a DHL shipping ticket this morning telling me it was coming on Friday.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This is sweeeet. Tempted to get a Spyderco but I'm positive my wife would kill me...probably with it too. :lol:

9. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Nexus 6P - something of an upgrade from my HTC One M7.

My daughter thinks the OK Google........show me the video of <insert song popular with 4.85 yr old girls here> feature is epic and kept asking it to show her more and more versions of little mix singing black magic!

10. Almightyrastus

Thanks, I almost don't want to hand this one over to my wife, not now I've polished the edge...

If you are going to go after a Spyderco then go for this one:

[​IMG]

The Vallotten, at least that way, she'll be justified in killing you, given the cost of the thing, I saved hard for mine.

11. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Absolutely lovely phone, had mine for a month or so now.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i love knifes, but cannot work out why people buy them, there all illegal to carry :/
    Do you guys just use them to whittle wood in the house? or look at in a display case?

[i know its legal to carry a folding blade under 3inc that does not lock. but there no fun]

13. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Same reason I bought a 5 foot long sword I imagine.

No? Ok...

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, certain knives are illegal to carry in a public place without lawful excuse. On your way to or from work where you use a knife? Perfectly legal. Heading to, from, or currently participating in a fishing, hunting, or camping trip? Perfectly legal. Just bought it from the shop and are heading home? Perfectly legal. Going to a friend's house to help with the gardening? Perfectly legal. Taking your knife to the ironmongers for sharpening? Perfectly legal. Going mushroom foraging? Perfectly legal.

Taking your machete to the pub? Yeah, not so legal - and there are few who would say that's a bad thing...

Personally, I typically have two knives about my person: one as part of a Victorinox Classic Alox Swiss Army Knife, which is on my keyring, and one as part of a Leatherman Juice S2. Both are below three inches and non-locking, but that does not make them de-facto legal. Yes, they're exempt under S.34 - but the law on offensive weaponry covers everything, including S.34 exempt knives, if carried for the purpose of using as a weapon. My teeny-tiny Alox would be enough to get nicked under the offensive weapons legislation if the arresting officer had reason to argue I was carrying it with ill-intent. (As would a table leg, or a branch, or my keys if I stuck 'em through my knuckles and punched someone with 'em.)

As an aside, I have a Spyderco Clipitool: combination non-locking straight-edge folding knife and separate serrated edge blade. It's my picnic knife. Lovely little thing.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2015
  15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I do believe these pokey sticks require their own thread, theres enough of us on here with a slightly unhealthy obsession with them (that an im after a few)

16. Almightyrastus

If you go on Instagram at all then take a look at Tzusskin (that's me...). At the moment I'm trying to post up a different knife each day from my collection, it'll give you a few ideas if nothing else.

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Here goes:

- 6l High gloss pure white paint
    - 3l "iron Ore" (dark gray) flat wall Paint
    - Two 180mm paint rollers with handle
    - One 50mm paint roller with handle
    - Six flat brushes in varying Widths
    - 25m 2.5mm two-lead lamp wire
    - Lamp socket, copper
    - 3W G9 LED bulb
    - Six "aged tin" drawer handles
    - 20 M4*20mm bolts
    - One package of eight felt floor protectors
    - Three rolls masking tape
    - Six rolls x-mas wrapping paper
    - Three bags of x-mas present decorations
    - One red 200mm candle
    - Ten purple straight candles
    - Ten red straight candles
    - Two red spherical glossy candles
    - Two purple spherical glossy candles
    - One "nanodrone"
    - One Lego city kit
    - One Lego friends kit
    - Gourmet chocolate mint for making hot chocolate
    - Big Box mini marshmallows
    - Coffee syphon
    - Big bag Monsooned Malabar whole beans
    - Crystal skull vodka glasses and carafe
    - Two cured sausages (red wine and venison)
    - Knife for said sausages
    - Cutting Board for above
    - Jar of aquavit gel (for the above)
    - Two lightswitches
    - Two rolls of electricians tape (white and black)
    - A case of makeup

Probably more, but that's what I remember. Some of the above is presents for x-mas, but we'll do a last minute round of shopping for presents saturday when we can outsource our children for a few hours.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2015
  18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Electrical tape o "secure" the children?

Much crap bought of late for the festive season, in terms of non festive its been annoyingly expensive after the drainage channel for the cars pollen filter clogged meaning the front an back passenger footwells filled with water, list of stuff to fix an bits purchased

Moisture traps X5
    Large fluffy towel things X2
    Pollen filter
    Trip to garage to abuse the wet vac
    Amp (lives under seat)
    Fuses blown by above amp learning to swim

Now, bar the amp that lost cost me about a tenner, amp though, £200, ive not pressed the evil buy now button on ebay yet. I'm praying a bit of TLC will bring it back to life If not I have to decide, amp or a optical loop back connector so I can tell the stereo there is no amp so it works again.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Tatar! Uuuuuu I love it!:)

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

On this note, A few years back, I was frisked going into a music venue in London.
    The bouncer found my Leatherman in my daysack and asked "What's this for?"
    I replied "I'm an engineer, I always carry it."
    "Oh, OK" and he put it back in the bag & let me in. :thumb: