1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Gig thread

Discussion in 'General' started by thom804, 21 Dec 2015.

1. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Any gigs you've been to, or forthcoming ones that you feel people need to know about?

Personally, went to Orange Goblin at King Tuts' last Wednesday and Ghost at the O2 ABC on Friday. Both pretty amazing gigs, but Ghost takes the absolute cake purely because of Papa Emeritus. A fantastic showman who really knows how to get the crowd going.

Future stuff: Booking tickets for Download in the next couple of months so long as they don't sell out this year. Missed the first (and the last) time Rammstein played, so it'll be fantastic to see them in a festival environment.
    5 Days sitting in a field, drinking, playing board games, and watching bands. Absolute heaven!

The thread could also be a place to organise before gigs if such a thing was ever to occur amongst BT members!

Last edited: 21 Dec 2015
  2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

last thing i saw live was Bonobo at Alexandra Palace, it was amazing.

i've got nothing planned for the future, hopefully i'll be able to get tickets for next Radiohead concert...

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Had a busy few days this weekend, saw Texas at the Hydro on Friday and then Madonna last night also at the Hydro.
    Have Coldplay at Hampden in June, seen them once before at The Barclay Centre in New York which was pretty cool.

Caught the Killers at Bellahouston Park last year which was awesome, although they were just as good when i seen them in Aberdeen.

Had tickets for Ed Sheeran last year, but couldnt make it in the end - would really like to see him when he tours again.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2015
  4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Jealous of Orange Goblin.

Past couple of months I have been to:

Ghost
    Fear Factory
    Slayer & Anthrax
    Lamb of God
    Prodigy
    Skindred.

Got tickets for:
    Bloodstock 2016
    Sabaton
    Machinehead
    Mushroom Head

EDIT: I was tempted by the download lineup but I am done with that festival, on a personal level after trying Bloodstock finally this year, I found that the differences between 14000 and probably 10x that number.

While its a day less I much preferred it, and found myself enjoying it much more.

5. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

You should try the camper and caravan site. That's where my friends and I all go nowadays and have done for the past 4 years. It's so much more settled in there, showers, properly cleaned toilets and less risk of pikies pinching your stuff. That and it's less than 200m walk to the arena entrance.
    I'm tempted by Bloodstock, but although my mates like Metal, they don't like it enough to make a festival of it. Download has a pretty decent mix so everybody has someone to enjoy.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I will look into it.

And I can understand that, one of the things I oddly enjoyed most about BoA was the fact if you do the entire thing like with download camping you don't have that Thursday where you have nothing to do but drink. One of the things I will say is that its well worth trying at least, and there was music from about 5 or 6pm on the first night. Most enjoyable festival experience I have had since my first download.

7. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

After every Download, we say we're never doing it again. 5 days of drinking really does do you in. We talk of going to Europe, to Hellfest or RockAM. But no, come every June, we're back in the Midlands, sitting in a field, getting drunk and playing Boardgames until 3 in the morning.

Anyway, if I don't go this year, at least it'll give me an excuse to go to more gigs. I can't wait for Ghost to come back, I'm even tempted to go down to their 2nd London gig later in the year.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm surprised this thread didn't take off and attract more discussion, especially with Glastonbury having taken place recently. Even the original gigs thread had many more replies!

Anyway, I've had a busier than usual year as far as concerts go. I'll preface this list by saying that my best friend and I have seen each other through some pretty tough times in the past year or so, probably the toughest of our lives to be honest, and I think she'd agree that we both find comfort in music. Nothing clears your head and lifts your spirits like enjoying a good gig with the people who matter most to you and that's what we've been doing for the past while.

Also, at some point last year I realized that all my favourite musicians, singers and bands were playing in the UK, many of them actually here in Northern Ireland, and I was constantly missing out on them. So even back then I had decided to do something about it.

Foo Fighters (supported by Ash & Hozier), Slane Castle - 30th May 2015
    This was a Christmas present from my older Brother, and despite him being the one to introduce me to FF when we were both still kids, it was his first FF gig. It was the third time I'd seen them and turned out to be a really special night. They never disappoint. Sound, stage and lighting on this night was their usual immense spectacle. When I saw them in Milton Keynes in 2011, I'd just entered the "entertainment industry" working for a small, local sound and lighting company. At that point the scale and complexity of their setup in MK Bowl blew my mind. I've seen a lot of stages and setups since, but Slane was still absolutely amazing. I would give almost anything for the opportunity to be involved in their touring crew in any small way.

Imagine Dragons, SSE Arena Belfast - 17th Nov 2015
    Great show by the boys from Vegas. I love their music and would actually go back to see them again, mostly because their frontman is a brilliant performer.

The Coronas, Ulster Hall, Belfast - 20th Dec 2015
    My friend who is a lifelong fan told me that these guys had to be seen and heard live to really appreciate how good they are, and she was right. I stood at the front of the Ulster Hall with her that night absolutely in awe of them. One of the best, most intimate gigs I've ever been to. Danny even came down off the stage into the crowd during their last song. I liked their music before this gig, but wouldn't have called myself a fan. I'm now a fan and we're going back to see them again this November!

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Croke Park, Dublin - 29th May 2016
    What can I say, he's the boss! Absolutely amazing gig, the sun shone all day, everyone was in good spirits and if seeing rock heroes like Bruce and his awesome band perform for over 3 hours wasn't enough, this came with the added bonus of meeting a few new friends! The scale of Croke Park adds an extra element of awe to any show and I'm hoping to catch a couple of concerts there again next year.

Biffy Clyro, Belsonic 2016, Belfast - 25th June
    I saw them support Foo Fighters in Milton Keynes back in 2011 and instantly wanted to see them headline something. It took 5 years but it was worth the wait, and will definitely not be the last for me. They absolutely rock, and this night was the first time I'd seen or done anything with one of my close friends in about a year, so it was awesome to spend an evening with two of my best mates and fellow Biffy fans.

Ellie Goulding (supported by Walking on Cars & The Coronas), Belsonic 2016, Belfast - 28th June
    All right, a little bit of a guilty pleasure. A couple of years ago I would have told you that modern pop music was nothing but complete and utter garbage, but I can't say the same today. I'll admit that some of the pop music which has been released in the past year or two has been both brilliant and moving in one way or another. Ellie admitted herself that she's performed the same show seventy something times before taking the stage in Belfast last week, but you could never tell; she still put on a brilliant show. Let's face it, she's a badass babe with awesome dance moves, some seriously catchy songs and a very respectable voice under all the effects. Despite a couple of technical problems through the show, her lighting and video effects were really impressive as well. Walking on Cars are a new favourite of mine and that coupled with The Coronas made it a night to remember.

Upcoming:

• The Corrs, Belsonic 2016, Belfast - 18th August
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers (supported by Cage the Elephant & Fall out Boy), Tennet's Vital 2016, Belfast - 25th August
    • The Coronas, Ulster Hall, Belfast - booking as soon as tickets go on sale
    • Walking on Cars - so impressed with their new album that I have a friend of a friend trying to get me a couple of tickets for their (already sold out) show at The Limelight in November.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2016
  9. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Bloodstock Tickets just arrived. Less than 4 weeks now till it starts, and I cant wait

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I would love to see more gigs. The sad part is that I am 1500km from anywhere where anyone that I like plays.
    This makes going to gigs a multi-day mission that costs a fortune in accommodation, etc.

That said - I am sleeping on someone's couch in London in December, though the exact dates are probably around the worst possible time to catch anything at all (Dec 28th to Jan 2nd or so...).

11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've never been to "gigs" as such, with me being a huge Trance fan (& DJ).. But the next big thing for me, which is close to a festival is FSOE 450 in Victoria Warehouse, Manchester! I'm also playing at a smallish 3-stage festival/BBQ on Saturday in Portsmouth. Not sure if that counts as me playing, or fanboying over the other big name DJs.. Haha

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

:rock::rock:

Hoping weather is better than Download

13. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Same bud, the weather was good last year, fingers crossed and virgins sacrficed to the appropriate deities that it should be ok

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Saw her recently in Glasgow at the Hydro, and to be fair it was pretty decent - also saw Anastasia at the Royal Concert Hall recently and was quite impressed.

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Well back from bloodstock and now fully recovered.

Holy Hell Batman, What a year. Will go through a few Highlights for me:

Twisted Sister: Mother Of God... They absoloutly killed it, I believe its the largest crowd for a band at bloodstock ever and its easy to see why, Despite most people i spoke to only knowing one song (no points for guessing which) everyone loved it and seems like a fitting performance for the last ever one in the UK.

GloryHammer: the Cheesiest of power metal and i had a smile on my face the entire time, they were not a band i had listened to much before bloodstock but that has already changed since getting home, would have liked a longer set, but if thats my one complaint then so be it.

Evilscarecrow: Another band I knew of before the festival but was not that familiar with. Loved them, a very strange band who clearly love what they do and the crowd love them, They do not take anything seriously and i found my self laughing my head off during most of their set, Will be seeing them when they tour in January for sure.

Behemoth: I wont say much about this, Amazing Band and they were playing one of my favorite albums in the Satanist so I was happier than a vegan telling everyone they are a vegan.

Anthrax: Loved their set more than Slayer, huge fan of this band and the energy they put into their set, and they had a much bigger crowd than slayer too which was great.

Slayer: They were slayer, enough said.

Goatwhore: killed it, they were the last band of the festival on the Sunday night and everyone loved it including me, a band i only got into in the last 12 months but loved every min of it.

Footprints in the Custard: A band full of friends of mine, they won a public vote through hobgoblin to play on the new blood stage on the sunday at a very high billing, Was camped with them all festival and all of use camped there were waiting for sunday and getting to see them at what was the biggest gig they have done. They did not disappoint, the 3rd Stage tent was completely full and there were people stood outside trying to see them play. They completely nailed their set everyone went crazy for them. And it looks like they set a new record for the biggest crowd at that stage ever but will have to see. I would recommend anyone to check them out, If you like a fun party metal band who don't take things seriously and just want to have fun.

I cant wait for next year already :D

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Seeing this thread has reminded me, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed and In Flames In January, just ordered.

Does Frozen on Ice in November count too?

Last edited: 17 Aug 2016
  17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

going to go to that gig just for inflames and disturbed, will walk out before A7X

also just remembered have Blackstone Cherry Tickets and that should be good :)

18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Dude!

That sums up my entire experience!
    Any chance we was camping together?!
    Camp cockwomble?

Have a huge love for Gojira and Behemoth and Fear factory nailed it for me playing Demanufacture

Upcoming:
    Avenged/Inflames/Disturbed
    Volbeat/Gojira
    Evil Scarcrow
    And more, Mrs just keeps booking them

19. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm doing A7X in Jan - no Frozen on Ice for me though!

I've got the 'Quo in December, too! :D

20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Mate!!

We did not. i was with Camp Kreig but i know i saw a pic of your flag on my facebook feed as i believe i know a few people who were in that camp.

and i was unconscious for gojira and im so gutted :(

I was ok with Fearfactory as i saw them on the Demanufacture tour not too long ago so it was the same thing for me but with none of the classics and i was a bit annoyed