1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Seems like a percentage of people have issues with mad katz (saitek). One guy admitted he was heavy handed during combat though so it makes me wonder what kind of abuse the product goes through? I've had 3 saitek hotas over the years and no issues. It seems that things have gone downhill since mad katz took over.

I'd go thrustmaster over CH. CH appear to have barely changed since I owned one back in the 90's. Looking at the flightstick pro it appears to be identical to the unit I had ages ago. You need a lot of switches and controls for Elite thus I would say Thrustmaster is better.

Firstly you need voice attack software: http://www.voiceattack.com/

Then head over to HCS website and listen to the various voice packs they have for sale.

http://hcsvoicepacks.com/

I haven't purchased yet but I reckon I will. Once set-up your ship will respond with your purchased voice when you talk to it.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well... In a strange twist of fate I've just been offered a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for nowt.

Not a full HOTAS, but I'm not going to say no to a free flight stick.

3. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

It's a good stick a bit small for big hands but OK. I sold my x52 a year ago to save up for the new wave of sticks coming out pending the sc release (hopefully!)

4. Stanley Tweedle

What new wave of sticks?

The official SC one is made by mad katz so will have the same complaints about breakdowns. I get sick of hearing how bad mad katz is over on frontier forum. My x52 pro has never been a problem or the one I had before that. That SC hotas is butt ugly.

Are there any others coming?

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I can confirm the current CH fighter stick is almost the same as the one I had in the nineties.

So it's still boring and plasticky but pretty much indestructible. I went with one over a Warthog because the Hog's throttle isn't as good for space as the CH one. The extra control stick on it's a God send (and it's a real stick as opposed to a mouse nub), lateral and vertical thrust are extremely easy.

The mode switch and software are better for CH stuff too, it let's me have all the macros, ALL OF THEM.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Like.. this butt ugly?

[​IMG]

If it is, I'll take ten!!!:eeek::naughty:

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I love having an 8.5 gig patch forced on me for content I won't have access to, via the planet update for the game that should have had a separate single player mode. But it's ok, because if I want to land on a planet, drive a rover or pilot a Cobra MK4, I can pay £50 and the content can be un-locked for me....

There is some positive, they have added more mission variety according to the patch-notes, which is great but no word on scaling the rewards appropriately. I took a cargo run post patch, 289k was the pay, for a station that was 35,000LY away... yet I have had missions that pay more to do sub 1k ly hops. It's a stupid, broken core system that needs a much bigger change made to it, before they add new ships and content that not all players will benefit from.

Elite Menu's 1.5 is out now.

8. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Must update the game and try it out as I have already paid for it........

I'll admit I lost interest a few months ago and need a reason to kick me back into it....

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That 8.5GB also contains 1.5 and a 30 page long change log of fixes etc.

They are a business at the end of the day mate, they are there to keep people in work, so they can feed their families, buy whatever product the company you work for company makes, to keep you in work, so you can feed your family etc etc. No one is forcing you to buy it, and if you think its too much, just wait until the price comes down instead of complaining about wanting it for free/cheaper right this second, when there are lots of people happy to pay the full price. I personally don't think Battlefront is worth the cost due to its lack of overall content, so I'm going to wait a while and pick it up when it does.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Agreed, minus the buying bit :D

But RE the bit I cut out, yes, no one is forcing me to buy it (I won't be any-time soon) and yes they are a business but they are offering 'horizons early access' for £40... it's a piss take and they should be called out for it. And they are forcing me to experience it via what to me is currently an over sized patch for content I wont see. It's a clever business model for sure.

Most of the fixes mentioned should' have (and probably would have been) required anyway, so IMO not to be trumpeted as extra value.

I think this summarises it nicely:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/16/elite-dangerous-horizons-release/

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just.... buy it when its cheap if its not worth that much to you. Its only a rip off in your eyes remember. There is a guy at work with 623 hours in Elite - to him Horizons is an absolute snip! He's got a huge and technically impressive add on to a game he loves. To some people paying £250 for a GTX 970 would seem like madness - to you it seems like a good deal.

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Well obviously it's all to me or in my eyes, it's my opinion :) In the same way that in my eyes, RPS are bang on the money in their summary of some people (like myself) who are dissatisfied.

I have a planetary landing module equipped on my ship, not by my choice and it's pointless for me, as well as several screens now in my game, related to content I won't have access to. It's a terrible (and avoidable) visual intrusion. I believe they call this customer dissatisfaction.

13. Stanley Tweedle

Before I purchased Elite I used to bitch about the price of it when I saw Horizons was going to cost the price of the original game. Having been an Elite player for a few months now I've changed my choon completely. I've not had one bored moment and have been so impressed that I did something I've never done before: pre-ordered a game at full price (albeit with the £10 discount).

Before purchasing Elite 1.4 I'd been convinced that space games were no longer viable. Since buying Elite it's the simulation I've played the most this year. I paid for Horizons beta which will give me early access to all season 2 releases. £40 per year? That's actually not a lot of money for something you spend a lot of time on.

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The value for money argument is irrelevant. The issue here is deceptive business practises. People paid full price (and often more) for a full game. However it wasn't the full game, ED:H is the full game, carrying an (in)appropriate price tag.

Frontier Developments, by lying through omission about their future plans, consciously undermined their own customers capacity to make an informed purchasing decision about their product. Even if it was The Best Game Ever™ this business practise should be condemned; If it works and there's minimal fuss you'll find yourself paying twice for games more in the future.

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, just to clarify - Horizons brings a bunch of expansions, right? First one is Planetary Landing, right?
    Second will be loot and crafting system in Q1 2016, right?
    What is next, how many more is going to come out under Horizons?

I have £30 to spend, don't know which one to choose - Horizons or Fallout 4:)

Last edited: 23 Dec 2015
  16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Next in season 2 is:
    - ship-launched fighters
    - multi-crew
    - character creation
    - crafting and loot

All in newsletter #104.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

People bought a game that they were quite clearly informed was the first in a series of paid expansions. As such ED:H is not the 'full' game either; more paid expansions to come. It was quite clear that a lot of goals are ambitions, no guarantees implied.

I always knew what I bought. I find it really hard to imagine that others didn't.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cool, cheers:thumb:

19. Stanley Tweedle

It is incredible that so many buy Elite without understanding what they're buying.

20. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I don't recall, at least when I purchased ED, reading the world "standalone" in the marketing material about future expansions. If I had it may have affected my purchasing decision as it's a different proposition - It renders the original purchase moot, costing more long-term.

"Paid expansions" implies modular. "Standalone paid expansions" implies iterative.