1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Overclock the core to 1050mhz and you'll nearly be at 970 speeds with that matey. You'll be on the edge for Elite, but it'll be playable, and I'm sure you'll find some settings that work for you. Valkyrie should be fine since it targets the Oculus recommended spec.

Total and utter codswallop.

Valkyrie is a Rift specific game, developed by CCP in partnership with Oculus. Its guaranteed to work at CV1 refresh rates and resolution with a GTX 970 and i5 4590, which is the Oculus recommended spec. Please don't spread misinformation.

2. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Shhh Parge. How am I to persuade my good lady wife that I must have the best GPU on the market if you go around correcting people?

;)

3. rollo

rollo Modder

EVE Valk might be Parge but elite : Dangerous is not and let's be frank that's the game where wanting to play.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

how on earth are they going to optimize the game so well that it can run on high graphics on a single 970 when you will be rendering 1080×1200 twice over all at 90fps...

There not wizards.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/5/10719326/nvidia-virtual-reality-performance-power

Im not saying it wont run, it will just look crap. nothing like the game play trailers.
    dont get me wrong, i love VR and will be buying, but maybe in 2018 when computers can run VR properly.

5. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

That's cool and your choice but I have over min spec with 2x 970 OC and I'm pretty sure it will be fine. If it isn't I'll buy 2x 980Ti and be done with it, but I'm sure it will be fine. Most people who are in a position to put down £530 this early will be in a position to upgrade whatever they need to upgrade if it comes down to it in a couple of months time.

Also they have a rig test app pretty much in your face for you to use before you order.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

970 SLI will give you a good experience with VR, for you, its totally worth it.
    Im just saying a single 970 is should be minimum spec, not recommended.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The EARLIEST shipping date I've seen is March 28th, so you won't be too far behind. :thumb:

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

When the day comes and we connect up our cv1, I bet even us dk2 users will be all open mouth and saying "oh wow man".

It will be interesting with no pixalation to retry these virtual cinema apps, like I think it's called cinovia or some thing, also that engineering bay demo of star Trex voyager with zero pixalation are going to be just so amazing and will be able to see what an online VR star trek would be like. Would be pretty cool to be on board a full scale voyager or enterprise and in an episode, if PARAMOUNT or who ever owns Star Trek rights did that, the entire user base of Star Trek and there are a ton of trekies, would be looking at getting the cv1/cv2

They can model characters very closely to real life in VR so the experience could be pretty amazing, 64vs64 Borg vs federation multiplayer in VR any body? Firefights could be pretty brutal, easy to get lost on board the huge ships also as ships start to lose power or environment would be pretty cinematic experience with the ships warning alerts in hd positional audio.

William shatner "kirk" could come into game character as captain in VR and command a ship as a guest apperience to promote a Star Trek game and could get to say you served on board with Captain Kirk.

9. Parge

The thing is, you are literally just pulling expected performance numbers out of your ass, and these go against everything that the developers and Oculus are saying.

Today from Palmers AMA:

"Recommended specs are 970/290.. anyone buying a RIFT will EXPECT to play all games at max settings and have the best experience possible.. is a 970 up for that challenge? will Nvidias Pascal GPU's be better suited for VR? what will YOU (@palmer) be running on your rift set up?

"You won’t necessarily be able to play all games at MAX settings on the recommended spec. You will be able to play everything in the Oculus store at a high quality level (90 FPS) on the recommended spec. Personally, I am going to be running the standard rec spec rig to make sure I get the same experience as most users."

So, please, stop spreading FUD.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

The keyword there Parge is Oculus store. Elite: Dangerous won't be in that store and does not hold the same requirements. The minimum I've saw from Elite devs was a Nvidia 980 or fury card with 16gb ram been mensioned as well that was for VIVE but can't imagine oculus specs been less than that.

I'm holding out on a gpu purchase till I get it in my hands then will buy the fastest that's out on launch.

I don't expect a Nvidia 970 or 290 to last very long for VR. With reports this morning that we could get the next version before Christmas 2017 I'd expect to see specs rise every few years. Palmer did confirm that in his posts that the specs would increase as time goes on.

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Assetto Corsa at max on the 980HOF got me 54 to 60 fps, 980ti g1 got me 75fps.
    In dk2
    Some games are going to need grunt Imo,

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

They also said in May that the rift would cost 400 USD ... I do not trust commercial words too much. Considering the huge price increase since May announcement, they just couldn't come and say that you need 1000 USD worth of GPU to the games at acceptable settings.

Lets wait for early adopters review and real world figures.

13. Parge

Otis was talking about Eve Valkyrie. He then goes on to suggest 980 SLI and then tells Draig that a '970 will give him good performance in VR' ..... which is terrible advice as current AFR SLI introduces huge latency to the pipeline.

Elite is more difficult yes, but it isn't a game officially supported by Oculus for that exact reason.

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

As pretty much any single card set up other than a titan X will be sub par for VR (which is the card oculus rift/nvidia use for there demos, ) getting any issues with SLI is going to be priority i hope.

But reading about people's experience with SLI and oculus rift, the latency is only small, and the massively improved smoothness from the much higher FPS which out weighs it in terms of immersiveness.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3gwnsm/nvidia-gameworks-vr-sli-test/

I was using EVE as an example of reasonably high level of graphics for VR but if you think the devs have worked some sort of voodoo on it then fine, thats one decent game that's going to run well for your £500 lol.
    There are tuns of games VR would be great with, but most people just dont have the power to run them twice over at 90fps.
    Few games come to mind that would be out of reach for single card users.
    ARMA 3, GTA V, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous (as mentioned), Skyrim (moded), Fallout 4, Dirt Rally, project cars and so on.

My point still stands that if you are an early adopter of the rift, and have the "recommended" specs, you are not going to be able to fully use the unit as much as some of them properly would like to. Been limited to low graphics at best in titles like them above.

So imo, dual cards are still needed, just take into account as you said there are some latency (not really huge).
    Or get a second hand Titan X

Last edited: 7 Jan 2016
  15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

My gfx card runs games, mostly v.high/ultra settings, with vsync on mostly fine @ 2560x1440. Can we all agree that is 221184000 pixels a second.

Rift will require my card to push 2160x1200 @ 90hz. I think we would all agree that is 233280000 pixels a second.

I'm not sure if there is going to be some magical power reduction (software overhead or something) from running two images at once, but as far as I can tell, all I will need to do is drop a few settings here and there. Most likely AA and some effects. I can't see what all the fuss is about a 5.47% increase in pixels.

NOW, my main thing at the moment is I can't afford/justify that price right now. Guess I will be a late comer.

One thing that would help me justify that price though is if Windows will allow me to use it as a monitor. Then I would quite happily sell my current monitor and jump right in, reviews considered first of course. I'm hoping that you'll be able to simulate a virtual monitor, or two, or three, or a million, on a desk in front of yourself, in which you can play games etc. I have a laptop and phone for browsing, so I can't see why this would be a bad idea.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hmm. I distinctly remember reading a while back that one 970 would not be enough for OR. Then all of a sudden OR release the min spec and there it is. However, looking at one of the games coming out for it yesterday the devs said that you really need a 980.

Now, after taking a good look over the spec and the tech info OR are saying that overall the resolution and eye target OR uses makes it about the same as rendering three 1080p screens @ 60hz. OR is 90hz and I have read that if it drops below 70 FPS you will regret it, IE - it will make you want to puke.

So let's think about that. 3x1080p @ 90FPS with a minimum of 70FPS required. Out of a 970, with a crappy little memory bus like that.. I don't think so.

So ideally you are going to need a 980ti or better to be able to max it out with all of the eye candy.

I made one terrible mistake going 4k too early and picking a side for active sync. Now I wish I hadn't but I'm in now and have wasted well over two grand.

See how all of the reviews make it look like one 980ti or Fury X is ideal for 4k? trust me, it isn't. Not unless you are happy with 30 FPS and like running some games on medium and can accept you will get drops into the low 20s.

I don't know why the 970 has all of a sudden become the recommended minimum spec for OR. From all of the grumbling and noise I heard it was nowhere near good enough.

17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

4k is not relevant here. EDIT: just to be clear, 497664000 pixels vs 233280000 per second

There is a feeling in PC communities sometimes that games must be ran at their fullest settings. You are clearly of that mindset. I've been guilty of it in the past.

Moving forward though, I've noticed the thing that shines through to me the most is the game, not the gfx. To top it all off, even on medium settings, something I have not had to go down to once, are still better than console gfx.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

The most worrying thing from the Reddit post was him admitting that $599 was always the target so why not tell the fans this. He also mensions that they do not make any cash on it at all.

So to sell the device is costing them the bulk of what they are making. That's not great economies of scale. Also explains the reason they joined with Facebook as they can take a few hits that oculus could not themselves.

He also explained the bundled extra cost basically nothing for them to add.

I'd expect PSVR to be the cheapest and VIVE the dearest.

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I don't think it is worrying. I just think it is a bit of a kick in the face when you think about the "ballpark" comments of $350.

It is new, if it is good: it will sell, it will become cheaper. Else, it will die. And there are more vr players in the market now, so if they do it right, who cares? All we wanted was good vr right?

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'll wait until the Chinese get their hands on it. Won't be long before we see the Catleaps and Hazros.