1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 2x home hub 5 same Ssid roaming

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by timmehtimmeh, 8 Jan 2016.

1. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Hi, I've got 2 hh5s now connected up at home to sort out some proper wifi coverage. One just wasn't able to make it from one side of the house to the other so I ran cat6 between them outside the house.

However, with the same ssid and passcode, the devices I have will roam between the 2 hubs. One is just a client on the subnet.p and doing no routing with its dhcp turned off but they don't seamlessly.

I.e. If you were mid download of a large file, and you moved from one hub to the other, it would drop the download even though you would connect to the other hub on the same subnet with the same ip.

So, urm... Is there a fix for this? I appreciate that the clients lock on to the device ssid with the most signal. I believe Apple devices start trying to relocate an ssid when they're dropping decibels and change when the difference is 30db? However I'm not really sure. Is it possible to start a transfer off through access point a, then roam to access point b without dropping the connection?

Part of me wants to spend some serious money on networking gear just to flood the house in wifi. Like perhaps even a pair of those asus ac88u routers that are just about becoming available.

Router connected to bt infinity 2 internal ip: 192.168.1.254/24
    DHCP set to give out ips from 64 to 253
    Router b configured to not use dhcp or the stupid smart setup feature is manually set to 192.168.1.63

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

There maybe an actual way to sort this, but I had the same problem when setting up a couple of repeaters

Using the Sky booster (wired via LAN) with the same SSID etc you'd drop the connection when switching between the two devices. It sucked. Never managed to find a way around it.

In the end, I ended up using multiple SSIDS. This worked a bit better - basically meant you didn't switch randomly between the two depending on which gave the strongest signal (and dropping network). We still get roaming - there's switching between SSIDs as you move around the house/garden etc but it's much less prone to randomly switching (and thus getting connection drops).

3. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

The home hubs can't share encryption keys with each other, you need a device that supports WDS or a system that uses a controller.

I am a fan of the draytek ap900 since they do concurrent broadcasting on 2.4 and 5ghz, there are cheaper alternatives

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Are you downloading from the internet or a windows share on the network? You would expect a real time application (voip) to briefly drop out, but something like a file transfer should keep on going after the ap association changes and the MAC updates.

As mentioned above the only reliable way of doing it is with a controller, which tunnels traffic from the (special) ap ( thus no MAC table updates) and buffers traffic until the association changes, but I'm guessing that's not in the budget.

5. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Aha, thats what I want to happen.

Some of the clients are ok when the connection flips over, they wait, and re-establish the new connection on the 2nd HH5's MAC however its not all sweet like that.

The chromecasts in the kitchen and lounge dont like it when you move with your casting device from one hub to the other one. They lose the connection completely.

So I am looking for a device that supports WDS - I shall investigate. Does this Draytek AP900 also have a VDSL modem so I don't need 2 boxes by the master socket? Time for me to start googling...

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

The ap900's are just wireless access points

You could get all crazy and get a draytek router and a couple of the wap's but you are talking a fair chunk of change for all that.

What is your budget?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

doesn't apply in this case, as hubs are connected with a cable.

wireless controller and waps are best, but you are talking hundreds of pounds

you could go for something like this whiuch has a cloud based controller