1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA launches Origin Access subscription service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I don't like Origin personally, just another background service, but this has me interested if they introduce a few more games.

3. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Good luck to them - anyone with common sense won't be falling for it though. Pretty much their entire library has been in humble bundles at one point or another - Hell I know, i've got half of that list just from HB's.

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Really crappy list of games there.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Eh, I pay £20 a year on the Xbox One. That's a much better deal and it's actually worth it (to me anyway).

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

This is what I thought when I saw it, then it was followed by me thinking they won't be doing any more Humble Bundles again.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Only EA could say "Free content for £3.99!"

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

ISPs do it all the time...

FREE Broadband! Free Calls! [if you pay us £15/month in line rental]

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Or supermarkets: "Buy one, get one free"

----------

I suppose this kinda makes sense if it covers new releases, but looking at the game list and that it is called "The Vault" rather suggest it gives you limited access to a selection of game released a while ago that you might be better off picking up in sales.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Eh... in most cases, it isn't 50% off (in other words, you'd still pay full price if you only get 1) so you're still technically getting the 2nd one free. But yeah, you're still required to make a purchase in order to get something "free".

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Remember the Line Rental charge goes to BT, not the ISP, unless you go with BT for BB.

12. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I will never buy my PC games through Origin unless EA links Origin to Steam, or directly sells their games through Steam.

I will never subscribe to Origin even though £3.99 seems extremely reasonable pricing.

I made a mistake by purchasing the EA Origin bundle on HumbleBundle (thinking it was EA games on Steam) and have access to some of these games - but seeing as I don't want Origin on my gaming rig, I've never played them. And never will.

I'm certainly not alone in only wanting Steam on my gaming rigs.

I would pay good money to have these games on Steam. But I am happy about not having access because I don't visit EA websites, or use Origin, or have the time anymore to keep on top of the latest and greatest game releases - so I don't know what they release, and I don't miss anything.
    :thumb:

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That seems a bit irrational, especially when you own games that you want to play but won't because they are DRMed through Origin. What is so wrong with Origin when compared to steam or any other steam like DRM/Service? I would understand if perhaps you were on an EA boycott or something like that, but that doesn't appear to be the case since you own EA games, or you were anti - DRM to the point of avoiding it all together which also doesn't seem to be the case since you use steam.

14. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

A lot of the EA humble bundle had steam keys, I claimed everything I could on both systems. I've only installed Origin for the BF3, the exclusive HB games and the Star Wars beta, otherwise its uninstalled. I didn't like the fact that it always started at boot, despite setting it not to do so and then found out it was a common issue. Also, it provides nothing over Steam. I have over 150 games and don't like not having the option. Rockstar didn't pull GTA5 off Steam, it just had a slight premium. The only thing worse than Origin is UPlay!

15. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

3.99 per month to play games you have either clocked or got bored playing almost 2yrs ago... great deal.

16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Tbh, I'm so far behind with games, that as and when I get around to wanting to play Dragons Age Inquisition (for instance), this might be a good deal, what with EA games not dropping in price very much...

17. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Or you just don't have a BT line.

You still didn't really answer the question. I'm not a fan of Origin, but if there's a game I want to play, then i'll run it.
    I've also never had a problem with setting it to not run at startup. You can make doubly sure by disabling it on startup through task manager, ccleaner, spybot etc etc.

Finally, it provides nothing over Steam, except every EA game that has been released since EA stopped using Steam as a distribution platform.

I used to get the hate for Origin when it was a PoS, but honestly, EA have greatly improved it and in some ways, it's far superior to Steam. It just needs the library to compete.

18. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Question is, if you stop paying the subs, does your ability to play the games stop?
    What's to stop anyone buying one month's subs, going nuts and downloading as much as possible, then cancelling?
    Sounds like a very thinly disguised rental agreement to play a selection of old games

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Ah great point, I am getting the Uplay bundle and the EA bundle confused. Any Uplay and Origin exclusives are wasted on me because I just refuse to be forced into using a publishers digital content delivery system written by suits rather than industry veterans like Valve.