1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

So according to Radar Online he apparently apologised to Gaga at an afterparty....

.... I bet he did...

...apologised all over her face :rock:

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

5. SuicideNeil

Lol, hardly. As they say, mis-use of legally owned firearms is so low, there is basically no point in recording the statistics. Go figure...

In other news:

[​IMG]

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

There must be a better way

7. SuicideNeil

No!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glorious...

8. Nexxo

Hungerford. Dunblane. There's some statistics for you. But you're looking at it from the wrong direction. In the US they have plenty of legally owned guns, and how many of those are involved in crime? What's their track record on school shootings again?

9. SuicideNeil

Hello, welcome to the UK!

2 mass shootings in 20 years- one every 10 years as I said the last time I destroyed the SJWs on this forum.

More people die from falling down stairs each year vs dying from shootings- take your short sighted, naive, emotionally charged unfounded bias and stick it somewhere dark and moist- I expect better of a friggin shrink, of all people. The statistics that are available show that ( legally owned ) firearms are no where near the top of the list for lefty liberals to worry about when it comes to criminal activity, as I've had to state countless times because some of you pheebs are incapable of discussing the issue in a sensible, objective manner, and/or can't remember anything they are told, repeatedly, for more than 5 minutes.

OMG, guns am teh bad! Grow up. :rolleyes:

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its not the quantity of misuse that should be considered, but the ratio of ownership to misuse and how that ratio changes as ownership increases. It may be a linear relationship, it may be an exponential relationship, although unlikely the number of incidents could also remain static or even drop.

Once you have those variables, you have to consider the expected peak number of gun owners if the laws are arranged to whatever your preference is. You must then determine the number of associated incidents at that peak level of gun ownership. Once you have that value and the number of incidents remain insignificant, then you have a valid point in your favour. But at the moment you don't, all it seems to say is that with tight regulation there are few incidents.

11. SuicideNeil

~0.001% mis-use by legally owned airguns, hows that for a start? Peak ownership is hard to nail down as it's something that is always likely to increase in line with population, assuming the liberals don't get their way and have them licensed or banned. A linear relationship between mis-use and ownership is very much likely.

As I said though ( FFS... ), the statistics for legal firearm mis-use are not recorded, or not recorded properly- as the linked article a few posts back explains. That said, it also states that IT IS SO LOW IT'S NOT WORTH RECORDING. How many times do I have to keep saying that? You can assume also that the relationship there too is linear, given that any time you hear about these incidents it's usually an old war vet being caught out with owning an old service revolver, or a farmer not keeping his shotgun locked up when he should have- clearly, they are in league with the devil, truely crimes of the century.

Illegal mis-use is what you should be worrying about, and even that is incredibly low, which you can check yourself thanks to freely available statistics. Stats for illegally owned firearms are impossible to estimate, you can only make a wild guess- even then, the stats for recorded incidents are relatively VERY low, as I've said enough times already.

Please, just stop trying to make a mountain out of a flat piece of ground- you will not succeed.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2016
  12. Nexxo

Shrink knows how to interpret statistics. Comes with the job.

As theshadow2001 says: it's the ratio that counts. If we take the US as a comparison, we see high legal gun ownership and a concurrent high incidence of deaths resulting from them, whether a depressingly high number of school shootings, random crowd shootings (where, incidentally, it never happens that other citizens, armed presumably in readiness to defend against criminals or an oppressive government, take down the maniac with the gun) or little Johnny coming across daddy's gun and shooting his sibling or parent. This would suggest to me that if legal gun ownership in the UK were to increase, so would its misuse.

Of course more children drown in backyard swimming pools and more people die in car crashes, but arguably cars and swimming pools are, generally speaking, justifiable and even necessary parts of normal human life. Guns are unnecessary. Moreover many things can kill, but guns are only for killing, and that kind of dictates how they end up getting used (that's a shrink thing again: the psychology of how your appraisal and decision making changes when you own a gun. Long story, but interesting).

More significantly, research in the US also shows that the main criminal source of illegal guns is legal guns. The cheaper the supply of legal guns, the higher the number of illegal guns in circulation.

So you can indulge in all the colourful proctological suggestions you want, my hotheaded friend, but my opinion remains that guns have no place in a civilised society.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2016
    Pliqu3011 likes this.
  13. theshadow2001

The current state under the current law is known, there is an insignificant amount of incidents with legal guns. If you relax gun laws the number of gun owners will increase and the number of incidents with legally held guns will also change. What that is likely to change to is what is important, not what the current state is. The outcome of a change (relaxed gun laws) is what is important not the current state. The current state of something offers little information on the future. If you say there is a linear relationship between the number of legally held guns and misuse incidents then great, but what's the basis of it being linear?

If misuse of illegally held guns is what is important then why are you bringing up misuse of legally held guns?

14. SuicideNeil

1. Hello, welcome to the UK ( again )!

2. No, guns are not just used for killing. Subjective opinion noted & discarded.

3. Yes, if you relax gun laws then statistics on use/misuse are likely to change, though I doubt the Uk will turn into the wildwest; handguns were only banned recently, relatively speaking, and I don't seem to recall the UK being the wildwest before they were banned. So....

4. You do realise that percentage and ratio are basically the same thing, right? 50% = 2:1 ( half ), for example? You guys not do math good, rite?

5. I said a linear relationship is likely- you can look up number of crimes vs number of legally / approx number of illegally held firearms, and trace it over time; emphasis on YOU CAN. Like I said though, the numbers are so low as to be not worth keeping track of- whether you want to express those numbers as percentages or ratios is pretty much pointless. The numb er of recorded incidents is in the low hundreds, if that, and the number of owned guns in the millions, for airguns, and tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands for firearms- so... 100,000:1? 500,000:1? it's so low as to be laughably pointless to bring up as a debating point.

6. Oh dear, you failed, just as I predicted; my original post that linked to an article was specifically about stats for legal firearms not being recorded as they are so low. Try to keep up darling, m'kay?

Well, thanks for entertaining me again with your SWJ BS arguments and opinions- it was fun seeing you fail to pay any attention yet again, & just resort back to the old 'guns am bad cos I said so' dogmatic stance.

---------------------------- DEBATE OVER, SJWS IDENTIFIED, MY WORK HERE IS DONE--------------------------------------

[​IMG]

:(

Last edited: 15 Jan 2016
    walle likes this.
  15. theshadow2001

No you can look them up. You're making the claims, you supply the evidence. I'm merely pointing out your failures in putting forward a position which is even marginally rational. As I am now saying for the third time, the current numbers are irrelevant. If you want to change the gun laws, you should be fit to demonstrate how that change will not significantly alter the current ratios, percentages or so low its not worth keeping track of number of incidents involving legally held firearms.

16. SuicideNeil

You're the one who wants to try and dress up an issue by applying a pointless method to interpret the statistics- like I said multiple times, ratios or percentages makes no difference to black & white numbers. Numbers, that I've posted multiple times in the recent past- go look at them a few pages back.

You talk about being irrational, but think that expressing a number as a ratio is important somehow?

The current numbers are completely relevant as they are what politicians and idiotic liberal minded freedom haters are basing their decisions on- not future projections, current numbers.

As I also already stated and demonstrated, the handgun ban actually made things worse, not better, in the short term, and the numbers have gone right back to where they were pre-ban. Point demonstrated.

The number of crimes involving automatic weapons was so low as to not even register essentially- those were banned a long time ago and were never the issue that politicians made them out to be, but they banned them anyway, just like they always ban things in order to make the public think they are doing something about a non-issue. Stop being so naive to think otherwise.

So yeah, point demonstrated, discussion over- go to sleep.

[​IMG]

RE: mentioning the USA, and talking about pointless interpretations of black & white statistics and debating statistics that don't even exist yet and using that as leverage in any potential for law-making- that ad hominem demote posted on the last page didn't escape my attention. The thing is, calling a spade a spade doesn't qualify as an ad hominem attack... ;)

17. Nexxo

You mean the country that's the colonial wellspring of the US? OK.

What else are they for?

The UK was subject to gun control laws before then.

That's because they're both ways of expressing fractions or proportions. Not sure how that is relevant to the conversation, unless our mathematical ability is your straw man.

In human behaviour relationships are rarely linear. One reason (of many) in this case is that the population of gun owners changes as gun laws relax. At the moment, the relatively few legal gun owners there are, are mostly well-screened, responsible and skilled hobbyists. They're not the people that worry me. Relax gun laws sufficiently and anyone can join the party (which is what we see in the US, for instance), including people who have neither the mental disposition nor the skill to handle a gun responsibly. Those are the people that worry me.

(And automatic weapons? There is no way you can justify their private ownership --not even for use at a gun club.)

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I use mine for paper targets...

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

More people died in vending machine accidents than were shot by police in Iceland last year.

Moving on, someones called into work to say the bus has been delayed as someone overdosed on it. Demote right there.

Also to add, user has been using their deleted items folder in Outlook for the last 12 months to store what they term as important business emails. They are now kicking off that we should be able to recover everything from this folder.

20. Nexxo

No fun if they can't shoot back. :p

More civilians were randomly shot by legal firearms than died of terrorist related incidents in the US last year.

YMMV.