1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I've certainly gone off group buys. One set of caps never showed up, and I'm still waiting on a single very delayed replacement key for another, plus a whole keyboard kit that I'm starting to think will never arrive.

Massdrop on the other hand have been flawless, not to mention really fast, all four times I've ordered from them.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

2. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Hope this is the case. Joined my first one for some Vortex keycaps. Really is a shame there isn't a UK equivalent (or one I was at least aware of).

Really hoping they do another White Fox drop in the not too distant future.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-whitefox-keyboard

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Let's hope my experience is the same. The keyboard I ordered should be shipping in late Feb, so I hopefully won't have to wait too long to see whether I will be disappointed or not.

That's a nice layout, I like that...

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've bought from Massdrop several times - only once was there a delay, out of their control, and they kept everyone informed.

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

Another GH60 sucker here. And my plate for my phantom (PRF125) never arrived, from what I can tell that style was never made and the few of us who opted for it got nothing.

Just got and finished assembling a compact 1800 though, it's pretty awesome so far.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've only ordered from them once and it took a while - the only thing that put me off using them again was the customs charges I had to pay... I'm sure that they declared that the value of the package was more than it was and so I had to pay even more customs fees than I thought I would have to...

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Everything I've had from them has been caught by customs, which is I guess because they declare it all above board, I don't know? Anyway, yeah customs charges are a pain but its mostly Royal Mail's fault. Got some PBT/POM doubleshots (vortex backlit ones) from them last week and the charge was £3.99 + £8 as Royal Mail's "handling fee". If it wasn't for them it'd be cheap. Massdrop operating in the EU would also solve the issue.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Right peeps! Payday's coming up and the w key of my G510 is getting temperamental.

I don't want to pay stupid amounts for a mechanical, but I don't want to compromise on build or functionality.

Any recommendations for a full layout keyboard, built to last and relatively quiet. I'm guessing reds for a start, or if there are other key manufacturers that produce quality keys I'm all ears.

Media keys are ideal too, if only volume control.

If I can manage rgb for under £100 that'd be a big bonus, but I doubt I'll get far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Scan are doing refurb Corsair RGB K70s with MX Reds for £99.98

They also have Thermaltake Poseidon RGB boards with Brown switches for £89.99

Last edited: 26 Jan 2016
  10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

They are TT's own switches, TT browns, I should be able to tell you what that boards like as I have one coming for my son from amazon, probably be here tomorrow.

Not sure whether it has browns or blues though as the description doesn't say.

Anyway its a little cheaper on amazon

11. Lankius Maximus

Yes I'm biased but look......

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_30389.html?gclid=CLfQjuSZyMoCFasEwwodcfoPPw

Ducky Legend

Full layout=Check
    Cherry Reds=Check
    Media Keys=Check (Volume only)
    RGB= Well blue leds anyway
    Price=Ok its £100 exactly here (but thats about 30 quid off)
    ....... And its built like a blimmin' tank.

I know shiny aluminium is subject to taste but I love mine.

12. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well that is only a half hour drive from me!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

<ExtremePedantAlert>

...No. That's not what a dual-layer PCB is for. A dual layer PCB means that there are components and/or traces on both sides of the PCB. You do that to stuff more gubbins on the board (and to make the lives of the engineers a bit easier), not to give it longevity. Unless they mean that they've used two PCBs sandwiched together, and I'm 99.9% certain that this is not what they meant...

Couldn't help but have a (mini) rant; stuff like that really pisses me off.

*mutters incoherently and grumpily returns to PCB design...*

</ExtremePedantAlert>

14. Lankius Maximus

........... I like it because it's shiny and it makes a nice clunk when you press the buttons.........

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Hopefully I will FINALLY get my hands on my GH60 PCBs today (providing the wife goes to the post office).

What I want to know is what the PCBs are worth (if anything now) as I've 2 and my plans have changed and most likely will only need 1.

Thanks.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Anyone here got a roccat Tkl pro.

My daughter has one and would like to setup some custom lighting profiles, we have found in the software that you can turn off each key invidually but it would take an age to do, if you could turn them all off and then just select which keys you want on it would be easier or hold down a key and tap each key you want kit.

Anyone know if that's possible?

17. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I went with the refurb'd K70 RGB. Should be with me on Monday. Can't wait to try it out!

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Good choice. I got a non-RGB refurb. I couldn't justify the extra £35 for pretty lights when what I really wanted was the blue switches on a full-sized keyboard.

19. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

My family like pretty lights (18 month old, wife, and me! oh, rabbit likes them too. Get's all mesmerised and stuff), it'll also match my G600's pulsing colour change quite nicely too.

20. Lankius Maximus

Don't know if this interests anyone with an ISO layout, however, now fully appreciating how hard complete ISO sets are to come by, MechSupply are offering several Tai Hao sets for order. Although the final date has passed they still appear to be accepting orders

http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/tai-hao-abs-keycaps

Seems to be a similar premise to Massdrop but UK based.

They appear linked/ affiliated to UKkeycaps. I've ordered a Raindrop set at £28 and will let you know how it goes for future reference.

There is an email address on the link. I did write and had a quick response which suggested orders were still being taken but I would suggest would contact him first all the same.