1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Scout-A Robopocalypse inspired ID Cooling T-60 SFX[Completed Feb 21, 2016]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 3 Dec 2015.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That thing looks scary!

2. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

reminds me of the little dwemer bots from skyrim:

[​IMG]

i really like the idea of recessing the fans halfway through the case as you have done in the top.
    that has inspired me a whole lot, as "in my case" (pun) the distance from my gpu shroud and to the front fans is something like 16mm

3. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Perfect! That's the reaction I'm going for. Sort of a PSA against AI, LOL.

Steampunk robots! One of those would be an awesome mod!

It's a good way to gain space in such a tight case. Slim 15mm fans would work, but this way adds some depth and interest to the case. Keeps it from being just a box with a computer inside. Plus, I had to show off those aluminum frames!

4. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

I love this little thing!!

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Now I wish I kept it! :wallbash: :lol:

6. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

I'm certainly glad you didn't! :D

7. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 18, 2016

SCIENCE TIME!!! Well sort of. While I'm playing the waiting game with primer and body filler, let's play around with some plastics or plastic resin to be specific. Actually, I've been playing around with them for a few months now trying to get enough experience with them to really use them effectively. They're one of those things that have a thousand possibilities, but no real instructions beyond "Mix part A with part B". After playing around with a few types and figuring out which ones give me chemical burns and which ones allow me to do what I want, I'm starting to get a grip on them. Now it's time to put it to use!

First step in every great science project...get a lab coat. Totally worth it. Great for catching that coffee spill AND looking like you know what you're supposed to be doing!
    [​IMG]

Next step...Crazy flashing goggles.
    [​IMG]

They don't help at all, but really add to the "Mad Scientist" vibe.

Third step...Mix part A with part B. :D

I can't give you all my secrets, right? I mean the lab coat and goggles are like 85% of the process and I told you that for free. :lol: But I can show you some of my results for the Scout build.

SSD Covers-I've been working on these for a while, trying to get a perfect mold for production. I'm close. Close enough that they're going to work for Scout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And in their intended role, covering a SSD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clear really isn't the best choice for these since they're meant to dress up the SSD by hiding it, but for what I'm planning I need clear this time. So there's still a bit more work to do on these for Scout, but that will be later.

The second experiment for Scout has been the side panel. I wanted something different. Something crazy. Something like...
    [​IMG]

A black side panel??? Ok I admit it. I screwed this part up a bit in my experimenting. I made it too black because it's actually tinted...a whole lot.
    [​IMG]

That's my super bright LED shop light shining through it. Or rather trying to shine through it. The dots are the individual LEDs. Whoops, guess I need to start measuring things a bit more. The cool part of this panel is a bit hard to see since I made it so dark this time. It's barely visible in the next pic.
    [​IMG]

If you look real close, there's a faint green line that the arrows are pointing to. I can barely pick them out and I know what I'm looking for. That is actually...dum-dum-duuuuum...
    [​IMG]

A strand of EL wire embedded in the panel. Or one of three to be more exact.
    [​IMG]

A previous version had some issues with design (it sucked) and execution (it sucked too), but it gives you an idea of the end product better than my patent pending, supernova-level, light shield
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next try, I'll make the panel thinner (it's 5/8" thick and needs to be 1/2" or less) with a little less tint and I'll have 'light stripes'...meh. EL stripes...nah, looks like someone murdering Spanish. Electroluminescent pinstripes...bit of a mouthful. Brite Stripes...hmmm, I like it. :)

Til next update!

--End Build Log--

8. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

LOL, love the mad scientist vibe! If those are Darkside LED strips, that thing MUST be tinted for those things not to shine through. Those things are eyeball roasting bright.

9. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! It fits my personality and the haphazard way I work. LOL

That's one of my LED shoplights (check them in the second pic of that post). Darksides on steroids.

10. mnpctech

Munky Mod Lab Coat! .....yeah, good to wear when dealing with chemicals etc

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Not really. The sleeves are like magnetically attached to whatever you are working on. You need a Bubba lab coat, with the sleeves removed just past the shoulders. -maybe with frayed edges too.:D

I'll say it again: This is so far beyond all the people that wanted the case that said they would "paint it black and add a ROG sticker." -or whatever. :thumb: You earned this freebie a looong time ago. I hope you drive their sales way up.

12. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Especially if you're like me and tend to wind up working in decent clothes. It seems like everything I own has paint or glue on it. Nothing like tinting your new work pants red with some overspray.

Cheaps, sadly, the Bubba lab coat would fit in around here. But then people would start asking me about NASCAR, deer hunting, and how big of a lift I have on my truck and my cover would be blown. LOL!

A ROG sticker! That's what it's missing! HAHA! It definitely needs a Munky badge though, I'll have to snag one next order. And thanks!

13. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 25 2016

Feels like I'm falling behind on updates even though it's only been a week. Currently everything for Scout is under primer and ready, but I'm waiting for some special coatings to come in before I start spraying. So in the interim, I've been working on the side panel. Everything is the same as before, except this time I actually calculated for the panel I wanted. 1/4" of tinted and back fill the lighting with 1/4" clear. I figured clear on the back because with tint in the back fill, you could see a change in brightness due to the depth of the wire. And this EL definitely didn't want to lay flat. I stuck with superglue(hahaha, get it?) for sticking the EL to the panel. I figured if I could do a decent job of gluing, it wouldn't show too bad.

And the results:

Back side
    [​IMG]

Front unlit
    [​IMG]

Front lit up
    [​IMG]

It's not super bright, but it shows up. I'm hoping that's partly because my batteries are weak in my transformer. In the case, the transformer will be wired to the PSU, so power shouldn't be a problem.

Shot a little video of it blinking to show the effect better.

I won't really know how well it works til I get the case painted and the panel on, but for now, I think this is the panel I'm going with. :D

--End Build Log--

14. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

-Build Log-
    Jan 27, 2016

Small update. Knocked out the paint on Scout. 7 coats of paint. 2 black, 2 mystic chameleon, 1 prizmacoat flake, and 2 clearcoat.

[​IMG]

Pictures don't really do it justice. And they make it look VERY purple. This video tells the whole story.

I can't wait to see this thing in some daylight!

--End Build Log--

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I like the paint.

16. mnpctech

Great paint choice dave!

17. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

He likes

Mal

18. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! I've, um, over-ecstatic with how it came out!

Haha! It'd be the perfect pet for him! :lol:

19. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

That paint looks amazing! :rock:

20. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks!