1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone with TalkTalk Fibre? (also what is most likely a silly question!)

Discussion in 'General' started by GiGo, 28 Jan 2016.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

So I changed me Fibre provider this month from Plusnet to TalkTalk.

I have been using a BT HomeHub5 which I got for free of a friend and it's been great 5ghz band is the main reason I took it off him as I didn't want to shell out for a new hub that and the Plusnet routers wireless range was poo!

It is my understanding from the 'Internet' that HH5's can't be used with any other provider, except for Plusnet (as plusnet are just a no frills BT).

So with that in mind I ordered my new service and was charged the £6.95 cost of delivery (stupid price if you ask me) but I thought hey, will get me sorted until I buy a new better router...

Sooooo......

All was well until I rang tech support 3 days before my go live date so I could get my username and password for the broadband service!

Apparently know one there knew anything insisting that the details were 'on the router' and 'we don't offer tech support for other routers', long story short, after 1hr of phone calls and 45mins of web chatting I have been told this:

"You don't need a username or password for our fibre connection if you are using your own router"

So can anyone confirm or deny this?

I had to use a username and password with BT and Plusnet but obviously they are in essence the same company.

If you do need the username and password can anyone tell me where the feck it is on there 'super router' (really is a pile of.....) can't stand it!

Ordered myself a Synology RT1900 :D and very much looking forward to playing, the only thing I wish the router had is link aggregation so I could get 4gpbs down to my switch, but hey that would be over kill.

So if anyone can spread a little light my way on if I need a username password for TalkTalk's Fibre service that would be great :thumb:

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

It's much like sky If i'm right. THe username and password is built in if you know what I mean. You can ask customer service for them, but they can't give you any support if you use a third party router.

3. GiGo

Yes this is what I have done and got the response of "You don't need a username or password for our fibre connection if you are using your own router"

I assume as with most or all service provider routers that all usernames and passwords are pre-configured (they were with BT and Plusnet) and as you say Sky too.

I can't seem to find anywhere on the TalkTalk 'Super Router' where it tells me to input a username. I understand that TalkTalk won't give me any support with my own provided router, but they MUST tell me what settings I need to input to use there Fibre service.

Everyone I have spoken to at TalkTalk keep telling me the details are on the router, and refer to the SSID and Password and then too the Admin and 192.168.1.1 part, everyone even on tech support seem completely dunce to this. One support bloke had to ask me what an SSID was! I have also doubles and tripled checked that I haven't missed it on the sticker on the back of the router.

Too make things worse, there My Account section isn't working and apparently I'm not registered on there yet even tho I've had an email telling me to check out my latest bill.

I'm very close to telling to f off and ask for a full refund and switch back to plusnet for only £5 more per month as they are now offering an almost identical deal!

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

We're with TalkTalk fibre. We've got the BT modem and then the TT router, think the modem has the details either already on it or they're just not needed. BT Man(openreach) (who we had to have come an install it, don't think they would have let us do it ourselves) just plugged it all in and turned it on IIRC, so probably don't need username/password etc.

Have you tried on the TalkTalk forums? They're supposed to be pretty good with the people on there knowing what they're talking about.

5. GiGo

Thanks for that, but I'm using a Router/Modem rather than a Router and Modem (ie the little white box that has openreach on it)

Will check out the forums, if they work, no doubt I won't be able register, I've also lost faith with TalkTalk.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

This looks like it might sort you out.

GiGo likes this.
  7. pre

pre Minimodder

If you are just attaching a router (not a DSL router) onto the BT modem - they are right. It's just plain old DHCP to your WAN interface.

8. GiGo

Looks like it to me! Cheers for finding that, so it appears they are correct then.

Will experiment in the morning whilst everyone is asleep and not using the internet/network.

Will put my old BT HomeHub back on to get a decent 5ghz network and then hopefully my new router will turn up :rock:

Cheers :thumb:

9. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

The forums at http://community.talktalk.co.uk/ are the only thing that's kept me at TalkTalk so far. The rest of the company is dire, as are the customer services; however, the OCEs (aka the official TalkTalk online reps) are actually pretty helpful in general and you can usually speak geek to them if you've got a problem and you know what it is, etc.

Yes, there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the router to add username and password for the VDSL connection. To be honest, I seem to recall that it was the same when I was on ADSL actually, I think leaving them blank worked just fine, so it must be purely authenticated by the circuit.

Some caveats-

• Be aware that if you also go for TalkTalk Mobile (which can be good value when they've got offers on - 12m contract, £5.50/month, 3Gb/1000mins/unlimited texts and tethering allowed isn't easy to beat - currently Vodafone virtual but moving to another hosting network soon I gather) isn't handled by TalkTalk but by Carphone Warehouse behind the scenes and the online reps can't do sod all to help with mobile related queries!
    • Their super routers appear to have some intermittent noise burst issues on some devices - I've only noticed it on NVidia Game Streaming (took a while to pin it down - ended up having to go Powerline network adapter->WiFi adapter to get NVidia Game Streaming working reliably on my Wikipad 7"... but given the Wikipad was only £40 delivered I can't really complain!)
    • They don't do IPv6 and are *really* dragging their heals on the subject. A number of us have been regularly badgering them for answers as to when their parent company are going to think about implementing IPv6.
    • Although their previous SuperRouter (model HG635) had 1Gb ports, the current one (HG633) only has 10/100Mb ports.

Hope some of that helps? :)

Jules
    x

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

No offence, OP, but this is ridiculous. There is no username/password system for fibre so far as I can tell.

I had BT fibre - no username/password (just SSID and security code).

Now I'm with TalkTalk - no username/password (just SSID and security code).

It sounds like you are creating a problem out of nothing. Just wait til it turns up, plug it in, adjust all your devices wifi settings to the new SSID and security code and you're away.

I've had literally no problems with TalkTalk since I joined last year. Yes, the router not having gigabit ports was a disappointment, but it doesn't stop anything working. It was simple as...

11. GiGo

Yes this is what I learnt!

With BT and Plusnet I did need a username/password!

Have now learned today that the 'SuperRouter' doesn't support only modem mode!