1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

£28 for a Tai Hao set... OUCH! I got Dolch and Olivetti for £7 each (new, on GH forum), and still have the Olivetti (ANSI set with ISO add-on pack). Part of me wishes I kept the Dolch but it was sold with my Quickfire XT. It's such a nice looking set and I'd be tempted to get it again, but for £28... again, ouch.

In any case, thanks for the share!

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I bought a Tai Hao white on black doubleshot set for my work board, a little over a year ago - the alphas are shinier than a shiny thing already. They look great going on, but they ain't made to last.

3. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Wont lie and say I'm not a bit worried about the quality. As for the £7 set Lenny I'm truly gutted I missed that and will have to keep my eyes open in future!

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I used the Olivetti set on my v60 mini for a while and it held up relatively well, but I suppose I'm not typing all the time (I mainly use Photoshop). And yeah, I got pretty lucky with the £7 deal, because when the group buy happened a lot of people bought more than one set so there were a lot of unwanted & unused sets going cheap.

One thing I've noticed is that Tai Hao sets are inclined to be very expensive in the UK.

5. Lankius Maximus

My intention is to keep my alphas as the white Ducky shine 4 set I currently have on. I'm hoping it will mix well with the blues of the Raindrop set especially when using the blue back lighting. As for the price, most sets seem really expensive in the UK (Ducky, Vortex etc) so I set myself an upper limit and try to keep within it (most of the time).

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm holding out for Vortex to start producing UK ISO add-ons for their sets.

7. Lankius Maximus

I emailed Vortex last week with the same enquiry and simply got a reply that they are not doing them yet (with no time frame unfortunately). Hoping now that Ducky release colour packs for the One or Shine 5.

8. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

I got my PBT set from UKKeycaps. Brilliant service and would recommend.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Nobody know the answer to my question?

10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've just ordered a raindrop set myself and it was down to 24 at final payment.. Not as cheap as £7, but with my keyboard (Gigabyte Osmium browns) being reduced to £45, I can't complain overall!

11. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well I got the keyboard yesterday. I definitely need to adjust the way I hover of the keys as they are very sensitive to even the slightest touch.
    The software, yeah, apart from the pre-set lighting modes is a bit of an exercise in tedium.

Overall, I'm happy with it. The softtouch keys and wristrest are a particularly nice change from the plasticky feel of any other keyboard I've used.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

These raindrop sets - who is supplying them? My Raindrop R2 from CtrlAlt wasn't £7...!

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Don't think anybody got any raindrop sets for £7, but a while back I got some Tai Hao sets for £7 each on the GH forum...and this was after paying almost £30 for the white on red set I got from OCUK (ouch).

On a different note, I've been trying to get hold of some GMK CMY mods on GH and nobody ever bloody responds to PMs there!

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Ah I see! Even £30 for a WoR set is cheap - I seem to remember my KlaXXon sets costing quite a bit more than that...

I've (temporarily) stopped buying keycaps. This is a Good Thing.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Is it software installed on the PC? Hack the config files?

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes it is installed software but I'm not sure what I would need to hack in the config files.

I have changed stuff in config files before but more to do with resolutions for games etc.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've just ordered one of these from Amazon for £29.99

[​IMG]

It's called something else on Amazon but all of the pics show that ^

My first mech board in modern times was a Cherry G80? is it? a large light grey unit. I liked it (and blues) but a cheap Razer on blues came up (£32 or so) so I have had that for a while now. Thing is it's enormous and I want to create some more desk space.

So yeah, I got one of those and one of these.

[​IMG]

I will do a quick write up once I have it :)

18. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Not a bad price at all :)

Dubious about the cheapy boards. But, I get the appeal of cheap mechs. (he says, typing away on his domes)

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'll admit I did not do a ton of research last night. I figured at that price and it being Amazon I had a bit of a safety net in place. I have done some more research today though and came up with this.

That one is on blacks but having listened to blacks and then blue in this video.

It's pretty clear that I would prefer the blues. Apparently this keyboard was on Massdrop a while back for £60 and people were all over it.

It definitely seems to be of a reasonable quality.

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Nice. I think the layout is a bit poo, but it's nice that it uses standard size caps so that's not a problem that the layout is poo!

My favourite switch at the moment is gateron browns.