1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft adds Windows 10 upgrade to Windows Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

They can recommend all they want. Disabling and/or removing altogether WU service is the best choice in the world right now. From personal experience, there is no force in the Universe which will force me to switch to that abomination.

Bought BOX W10 license to try it as VM never tells the whole truth (30 days before activation is enough to judge and I wasn't that daft to abandon OS install - MS don't gloat I won't activate it ever so I'm not one of that 200M devices). It was total disaster. 90% of my work software refused to work outright. Remaining 10% after some tinkering work somewhat. And requirement for permanent Admin elevation when accessing directories on C: partition even when running on Admin account is idiotic. Considering I copy a lot of files from/to Users and Program Files basically every day, just on this retarded feature alone W10 is disastrous fail.

Thanks but no thanks. Returned to solid W7 and not looking forward to any MS system upgrade. If you work, use a lot of legacy software (legacy - anything from .net 1.1 to 4), not game and if you value your mental health just stay away from 10. I've spent money so you won't have too.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I quite like it, but tbh for me the OS is little more than an application launcher (and file manager) - it's all about the apps no treble.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'd like to upgrade to W10 on my tablet, but imho W8 is still far more pleasant to use than W10 on it. I suspect I'll end up upgrading in the end and probably regretting it.

5. koaschten

koaschten What's a Dremel?

The worst is, that Microsoft thinks they can just push the win10 update to any device, but for example my sister owns my handed down Laptop with first generation Nvidia Optimus which will definitly not work with a different driver than the supplied driver from the OEM... Last time Microsoft pushed the win10 update she had to have it reverted because it simply wouldn't boot anymore.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I thought the default setting was to install 'Recommended' updates. :confused:

7. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Have set WU to only automatically download critical updates.

When I see this w10 recommended update ....I'll just 'hide' it. Not interested at the mo.... still too many reported issues glitches etc ...chief of which... that automatic updates for win10, As I understand it there's no choice or opt out. So if if a patch causes issues you're stuffed.

And win10 doesn't always play nice with old games like Bad Company 2.

Happy to be told I'm wrong ...anyone? anyone?

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Yup, that's why I just went and changed my update settings.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's been so long since I've installed Windows from fresh that i don't have a clue what it defaults to, normally i just re-image an already setup install with Windows update set to never check/install.

Probably going to switch to Linux Mint in June when they release v18.x, maybe keep a version of Windows on an external drive.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Personally...I'm running W10 on two home PCs, work PC, laptop, tablet (still waiting for WP10 for my Lumia 930) and can honestly say I've had zero compatibility issues, everything runs as it should, and I'm completely happy with it.

And, of course, I now find myself using other people's machines running W7/8.1 and wondering why the hell i can't do certain operations, 'til it hits me.

I don't know what all the fuss is about :/

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

What are the odds that W10 will move from "recommended" to "Essential" updates by Jul 1st? :p

12. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Havent tried it myself, but was on teamspeak with a mate who'd gone back to playing BC2 for a bit and he was playing it happily last night and he switched to W10 pretty much from the word go.

I havent tried much in the way of older games though (or that many new tbh). After a few month of living with it, theres nothing that W10 hasnt been able to run or install that i can think of, certainly everything i was using on W8.1

Not saying its wonderful, or faultless for others attempting to play something like BC2, but it can work straight out the box cos my mate isnt one to faff about with stuff to botch it into working etc.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Me too, upgraded to W10 from W7 in August. No compatibility issues, fast, easy to get along with and very stable. Only significant glitch was some in-game graphics issues, which were fixed by Nvidia driver updates, back in September.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I haven't used my free upgrade yet as you cannot turn off updates. I always wait a while before updating as it saves me borking my computer. The sad fact is I will likely have to give in soon-ish as I will want DX12. If I wasn't a gamer I would just stick with Windows 8.1

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I dunno why so many people are being stubborn about windows 10. It's a upgrade to windows 8.1 and I've had no compatibility issues that didn't already exist from windows 8.

That said I hope they get around to putting all the settings in one place like in windows 7 and before, it's a bit of a faff having to check the setting you want to alter isn't changed via the app and not control panel.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I could think of many reason why people are being "stubborn" about Windows 10 but how about Windows Media Center, the forced updates that could brick your PC, or the privacy issues. If you don't know why people are being stubborn about windows 10 you really need to listen to some of the real world problems it's caused.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This, surreptitiously, is what MS and the whole PC industry wants. "Oh it doesn't work, I better get a new one" +1 sale.

We've long reached the point where a 5 year old laptop is still good enough. The only thing that goes bad is the battery.

MS wants to move as many people as possible ahead of its shift to subscription model mark.my.words.

18. TechTaku

TechTaku What's a Dremel?

I don't know... I see this as both a positive and a negative. I'm with Microsoft's stance that people should move on to Windows 10 as quickly as possible, it's a far better experience and performance (opinion) is much better with reduced boot times and so on. Any gamer is going to eventually need to move up, or at least duel boot Windows 10 if they're looking to gain the potential benefits on DX12 over the coming years.

Where I think this move is a little worrying is the fact most users will no doubt have their windows update settings set to install recommended updates automatically, and what Microsoft might have overlooked is the fact a lot of users are running machines that are quite old and the driver support just isn't there. I have an Asus X101CH notebook and that refuses to play nicely with 10 no matter what with freezing during startup, drivers missing and reduced performance (not that it had much to being with), but to the point it becomes a nice slideshow.

It's an aggressive push that could cause some problems.

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm still waiting for someone to make a compelling argument as to how my life will be better running 10 over 7, and I won't change without that reason. The only reason I went from XP to 7 was for the newer version of Movie Maker, and i don't even use that anymore. That's the lack of a reason to upgrade.

The reason (for me anyway) why NOT to "upgrade" is MS tactics trying to encourage, and now force, people to do so. This is my computer, I paid for it, I built it, and I alone will determine what goes on it. Their "you must upgrade because we tell you so" attitude REALLY pisses me off and their assertion of a right to what ever is on my computer even more so.

I tried the various ways to get the annoyance screen to go away and finally just disabled WU alltogether. So far the world hasn't ended, either.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For me I've no interest in DX12, mainly because of what it's attached too, Vulkan on the other hand. :)