1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft sinks data centres for Project Natick

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I've thought about it, and I'm only giving your Law a B- ;) :D
    (or should that be a C++...?)

It's a nice idea, but I'm guessing that there's a large amount of redundancy built in to each unit? You can't send an engineer in when a hard drive fails :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Three times. Three times I had to read that snippet to figure out what you were highlighting. <sighs, corrects it, goes back to bed>

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I enjoyed this exchange a lot.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sooo... Why not drop the data center in shallow water in Alaska, or on land in the arctic?

6. Gareth Halfacree

'Cos latency. How many clients does Microsoft have in the Arctic? One of the selling points of the project is that half the world's population lives with 200 klicks of a coast.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

On paper at least I think it's a great idea. Tieing them to locally generated renewable energy would really knock it out of the park.

8. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

There is no point building it in shallow water, as it will not survive the radiation from a nuclear bomb.
    The various subterranean seed banks were built for the same reason......continuity after nuclear war.

Not long to go now fellow earthlings. *Chuckles*, (Dr Evil style)"

I better dig out my tin foil hat.

9. theshadow2001

Actually the seed banks were built to maintain genetic diversity, and to recover plants that may go extinct in the case of disease or natural disaster.
    They aren't a postapocalyptic survival tool. That's just a headline as a result of the media being the clickbaiters that they are.

10. Gareth Halfacree

As a member of Da Meeju: I resemble that remark, and here are ten reasons why. You won't believe number seven!

11. theshadow2001

I keep clicking on your post but nothings happening. I must know what number 7 is. If I don't find out, you won't believe what will happen next!

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

But... but... won't putting datacentres in the sea make them vulnerable to phishing? :D :blush:

13. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Number 7 was "this isn't actually a list article"

14. Gareth Halfacree

They're technically known, in Da Biz, as "listicles." Don't worry, the vomit rising up in your throat is a perfectly normal reaction. Likewise, reach for a bucket and enjoy the fact that there is not one but two trademarked terms for those bulky magazines you find in newsagents that are often nothing more than articles pulled from the publisher's normal magazines (you know, the things we used to call annuals or omnibus editons): MagBook (Dennis Publishing) and Bookazine (Imagine Publishing.)