1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've been happy with it, boots faster, everything I've got still works on 10. Don't find the interface to be a problem, it's much better than 8 which I can't use at all.

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The WP8 photo sync ball ache.

On Windows 8 - connect phone, run windows phone app, automagically download all new photos. Job done.

On Windows 10 - Windows phone app replaced by phone companion, basically a glorified manual. Tells me to import files using photos app. Runs photos app, after much arguing about my phone being connected, it tells me all the photos/videos are new. They aren't, I can even see the older photos on the Photos app stored on my PC.

Tries Windows Phone app for desktop, after many attempts at getting it to save setting, which it doesn't, I give up.

Much googling.

Resign myself to just import them all again using photos app. Imports photos/videos, now shows them as being already imported if I try again.

Should of tried that in the first place :wallbash:

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I encountered a ridiculous bug while setting Windows 10 for my grandmother. She need her icons to be big so I set the display size at 175%, suddenly the file eplorer wasn't working anymore :-\ I couldn't access anything, couldn't even unzip files or install drivers. I set the display size at 150% and everything was working again GG Microsoft.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Ahhh, you had this too! I did battle with this 2 weeks ago on my Dad's (with ageing eyes) PC.
    Drove me mad for days, and then sorted it with the 150% setting in the same way.
    I'd never seen a PC where you couldn't even click on any folders or the This Computer icon :worried:

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

At first I tried to uninstall the graphics, deactivate the iHD audio & delete a few keys in the registry, without success. Than I did a format, I thought maybe Windows was corrupt ? After the format, everything was working fine so I just did my tweaks again (Including set the display size at 175% again). Back to square one lloll

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I was playing music through my speakers yesterday, which is a rare thing, so I decided to re-enable speaker fill on my 5.1 set. Set speakers to 5.1 instead of stereo, unticked the Disable all enhancements option and enabled speaker fill.

Doing this caused anything with audio fail to load, the files didn't just play with no sound, they would not play at all.

In the end I had to re-tick Disable enhancements, and sound returned without speaker fill. In the end I had to switch it back to stereo because some games were playing 5.1 through my headphones and I wasn't getting all the sound.

7. creative

creative 500rwhp

Sound is also borked on my laptop.

Works fine through headphones but the speakers no longer work. Did all the usual and gave up in the end as I use headphones more at the moment... But yet another thing that broke with an auto update.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Also had problem making the sound work properly in W10. It was too "flat". Had to re-install the audio software in compability mode to make it work.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

They will never learn!?!:wallbash:

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sure they will, and they have learnt, this time around their going to slowly introduce the changes.
    What's the saying? Slowly, slowly catchy monkey. :hehe:

12. impar

impar Minimodder

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

If it's for Tablet mode, looks like it could be a good idea, if it's for normal desktop use too I don't think it'll go down well.

What I find interesting is that, assuming I'm correct, they've moved "the options" i.e. power, settings from the right in W8, to the left on the assumed tablet mode pictures. I've always liked the options on the right as I operate the tablet with my right hand as I'm right handed and hold it with my left. Before swiping from the right was easy, and didn't involve crossing the tablet with my arm, now with things on the left I either use my left hand or cross my arm over the tablet.

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Not sure MS will listern to my feedback about using a windows 7 menu but Keeping the Modern look.... well i can live in hope (not that I use it much anyway).

My Start Menu...
    [​IMG]

15. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Overall I've been very happy with w10, but I spent half an hour trying to change my wifi network from public to private yesterday :wallbash:.

I ended up using the regedit method in the end, but it really shouldn't come to that!

16. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Qq,

I've been postponing the upgrade for a while.

I reformatted and resinstalled win 8.1 on my secondary rig, during that it gave me the option to upgrade to 10 which I did all working fine.

Wife's windows 7 laptop I reformatted, installed os but now it's got the bug of windows update not doing anything. Tried auto patcher and installing Ie 11 manually but still not getting updates. Any other things I can try?

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Had it since day 1 effectively, Only real issue was incompatibiliy with a ancient usb device that i had for a printer we still had. Must be about 10 years old this printer. Other than that no issues to report.

18. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

So I also tried WSUS offline which worked on one machine but not another.

However after some forum surfing I found references to this KB which should be installed straight after you have installed Win7SP1 (KB3102810). Annoying thing to note when you try and grab this from the MS site running IE8 you get told your browser is too old and needs updating, so dl from another machine or use chrome.

Two versions of the file, x64 and x86. I was testing on a VM and after installing said patch Windows update picked up all the available updates.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Why is everybody so keen to have a desktop with nothing on it?

Oh, I'd also like to see my drives in Win Explorer again, not as suggestions or the likes, just simply plain on top.