1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress (FINISHED) "Dark Matter" by Envious Mods •3D Printed Parts•

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EnviousMods, 7 Jan 2016.

1. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

PSU Floating Mount: Floor Installed

The bottom or floor of the floating PSU mount is finished. This slightly raises the base for the PSUs to the same level as the frames cross-bar. Eventually I will cut slots in the floor of the PSUs mount for added air circulation. A floating mount adds space for wiring as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable Management/Water-cooling Passthrough:

I have started to mockup the metal shroud for the mobo's main wiring. It comes out of the side of the passthrough and behind the metal shroud. This metal shroud will have sections in it which keep all the wiring in order with the help of 3D printed cable combs. The outer portion of the metal shroud has an indentation that I am cutting a piece of thin acrylic for. I will release more information on this as it starts to come together. I will update with pics ASAP.

Update On The Overall Progress:

[​IMG]

2. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

A Donor Case Arrives:

I was fortunate enough to find an old case that I could use as a donor. It took a while because as soon as I started looking; the price of junk cases went though the roof. Someone must of sent out a memo saying that I'm searching for an old case. After lots of searching I found a smokin deal on an old case that fit within my requirements.

I made it clear to the previous owner that I planned on hacking it to bits. To reassure my intentions I put my air cut off saw in my trunk. That way it was in plain sight when he helped me load it into the trunk. He muttered, “wow you weren't kidding” and then smiled when I paid him.

[​IMG]

The parts needed out of the donor case consist of the motherboard tray and the rear pci/io plate. After tearing into this old dinosaur I found a lot of neat little features. I always find case construction interesting. The best feature is standoffs with little nubs at the ends. They help to quickly align the motherboard as well as hold it in place so you can screw it in place. These standoffs are genius and I will use them on the scratch build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounting The Motherboard Tray:

The new motherboard tray went on with little to no issues. I was lucky enough to find the the mobo tray was the exact size of the sub-mount which saved a lot of time. Theres a small lip around the edges of the mobo tray so I used small spacers when mounting it to the sub-mount. The next piece that will need to be cut is the back panel on the case itself. I will need to double check all the measurements due to the back panel being stainless steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Announcements: I will be announcing a couple of new additions to the Dark Matter build very soon so look out for those updates.

3. eucalyptus

eucalyptus I am 19 and Swedish!

What are those blue stripes? If they are some kind of diffused acrylic stuff with leds it's the best thing I ever seen :D :D

4. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

It's an effect I've been playing with and I will reveal more on it down the road. Thanks. :thumb:

5. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Quad Vertical PCI-E Mount:

I had originally planned on doing a single or dual vertical PCI mount but, when looking at the donor parts I decided it would be neat to do 4. I have just enough width to add 4 of them next to the stock atx setup. This will give me a lot of options down the road. As of right now I have mounted 4 slots to see how I like it. The main advantage of having 4 slots is the ability to do SLI vertically which I've never seen done quite this way. It also has enough space to water-cool the vertical SLI setup.

I used the PCI slots from another old, smaller case in order to make the four vertical PCI setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd Floating Mount:

I finished up the insert plate for the 2nd floating mount. This plate is primarily for the full size hard drive and the pumps for the water cooling system. I haven't completely decided on what ill do for the section in between the two floating mounts. Some of it will be used for the cable management coming from the dual PSUs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Paint & Primer: SSD Rack

We've had a couple days of sun which is almost unheard of this time of year. I took the opportunity to start priming and painting what I could. Starting with the triple SSD rack I was able to prime and remount to see what it will look like and I'm very happy with the outcome so far. Hopefully I'll have time to at least prime the top panel and a few 3D printed parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paint & Primer: Gskill Custom Backlit Badge

Currently I have the Gskill printed parts being primed. With this build I decided to step up to automotive paints. They are a bit more expensive but, the durability is worth the added expense. Im also using a paint gun and my airbrush for smaller details which will give it a more even paint job. The front and back of the badge have been covered in primer to make sure that no light will travel where it isn't supposed to be.

[​IMG]

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I like your work so far. A lot of measuring and trying and adapting :)

8. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thanks Hukkel and your right on the money. I've spent a good amount of time a thought into the design but, not everything works the same in real life. There's also some portions I left open so that I could let my imagination and inspiration complete these bits. I like to try out different things and change them if they don't live up to my standards. Thanks again for checking out the log.

9. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Priming Top Sub-Mounts:

During the few days of sun I was able to sand and then prime some of the top sub-mounts. These panels will be under all of the outer panels that haven't been cut yet. This helps add rigidity as well as giving the outside of the case a clean look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vandal Switch Mount:

I finally had some time to mock up the switch panel. It will consist of a couple vandal switches and two indicator lights. As if right now I only have the single vandal switch mounted and it looks sweet. Its amazing how beautiful these switches are with the angel eye lit up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

I'm curious as to this lighting effect you spoke of. That blue S curve looked pretty sweet man! I thought it was a paint job for a second. Really digging that design! I much prefer curves to the usual "straight line" stuff. Looking good as always!

11. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thanks buddy. I usually try out all kinds of different ideas while building but, I've taken it to another level with this one. Testing different materials and techniques have had some neat outcomes. This build has a lot of straight bends as well as some curved ones. I'm learning a lot when it comes to bending metal. The lip along the bottom edge has a lot of curve to it as well as a few more pieces I haven't built yet. You'll get the best of both worlds.

12. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Case Mod World Series: Vinyl

I took the new 2016 Case Mod World Series design and put it into my cut software. This allowed me to cut some vinyl pieces in the new Ice silver vinyl I ordered specifically for this build. It took a long to “weed” (remove negative vinyl pieces) due to the sizes of the letters. I am currently working on a piece of acrylic that this vinyl will adhere to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The piece of thin acrylic works awesome for a backplate to display the vinyl design. During the few days of sun I sprayed the acrylic with primer after roughing it up with a fine grit sanding sponge. After the primer was completely cured I added a layer of matte black vinyl to one side. The matte black vinyl will help to make the ice silver pop.

[​IMG]

Cleaning Up Cuts: Metal

After doing a lot of rough cuts I decided it was time to start cleaning up the edges. Depending on how rough they are I will usually start with a metal file and then work my way though sandpaper. Starting off at about 150grit and working my way towards the 400+ range. Metal doesn't necessarily need the real fine grit to get a nice edge. I also took this opportunity to prep these pieces for primer. Now that they have been cleaned up they really look a lot better.

[​IMG]

13. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Mini Touch Screen Arrival:

The mini TFT touch screen arrived today but, I wont have time to play around with it for a little while. I still need to download the Arduino software and files. Once I get to start with it I will update.

[​IMG]

Paint & Primer:

I managed to prep and prime the floating mount that supports the two power supplies. I also prepped the other floating mount but, I haven't had a chance to prime it yet. The first mount was a little tricky due to all the edges and bends. I hang the majority of the things I paint so it had to be rotated quite a few times for an even coverage. Once I have my walk in paint booth setup it wont be nearly as difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Sorry I was having issues with posts but I got it fixed

Last edited: 16 Feb 2016
  15. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

This is a great build.
    I like your craftsmanship.

16. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Thanks I really appreciate that. I have a lot of neat features coming in a little further into the build. :thumb::thumb:

17. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

3D Printed Prototype: Mini TFT Touch Screen:

I needed to make a basic case that would help protect and cover the electronics for the animated case badge. I designed a setup that had a cutout for the TFT touch screen as well as spots where the usb could be plugged in to program or power. This will allow me to have easy access for updates or changes to the touch screen.

[​IMG]

I did the same methods to smooth the 3D print as I did with the previous prints. It will take a while to apply filler and sand in between coats. I find it to be something relaxing to do while watching TV. Its a time consuming process but, it makes 3D prints come out with a great quality look.

Below is about half way through the process of applying filler.

[​IMG]

18. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Acrylic Work: Between The Floating Mounts

Ive started working on the space between the two floating mounts in the bottom of the case (on the inside.) I had spaced the lips between the two floating mounts so that there would be a 3mm gap. This gap was the exact thickness of the acrylic. I haven't completely decided how I'm going to finish the piece other than this piece of acrylic. More than likely it will make for a good location to do some sweet vinyl work.

[​IMG]

The primary reason for mounting the two “floating mounts” was to keep them above the actual floor of the case. That way I can mount the PSU, pumps etc without having wiring going everywhere. The platforms are raised about 20–25 mm which leaves a lot of space to run wiring.

[​IMG]

Announcement:

I have been recently hinting at a couple announcements for the build recently. The major announcement is about BeQuiet joining the build and sponsoring Dark Matter. I will wait to announce the exact PSU and fans that I will be receiving until they arrive.

I can tell you that Dark Matter will be getting some Dark Power though. I would also like to thank BeQuiet as well as my other sponsors: (Printrbot and RantoPad) for believing in this build. You'll be seeing this monster at some shows this year for sure.

[​IMG]

19. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Finish Work: Case Mod World Series Badge

I had to re-cut the Case Mod World Series vinyl because I messed up when applying it to the acrylic backplate. Unfortunately I have involuntary hand jerks at time due to my brain damage. When I was just about to apply the 1st one my arm jerked and it was ruined. It takes a long time to weed small lettering in vinyl so it took a bit to get a second one ready to apply.

[​IMG]

This one came out perfect and I couldn't be happier with the way it looks. I also took the opportunity to test one of my new photography LED lights. I have another idea planned for this badge before it mounted in its final location.

Update: 3D Printed Case (Animated Case Badge Electronics)

I am finally down to the last few layer of filler/primer and sanding. The more I look at the case the more it reminds me of an old IPod. As you may know I'm a stickler for the details in a build. I think the small details really do a great job of bringing the design together. This case will go behind the front panel of the case so it really wont even be seen as mentioned. I still think its important to make it look like its a feature.

[​IMG]

20. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Part Arrival: BeQuiets PSU & Case Fans

Today the parts arrived from BeQuiet. They sent one of their 1,200 watt Dark Power 11 Pro PSUs and 7 X 120mm PureWings 2 PWM fans that will be used throughout the case.

[​IMG]

DarkPower 11 Pro PSU:

I am in love with this 1,200 watt, platinum rated and modular PSU from BeQuiet. You can tell that it is quality immediately after opening the box. It comes well packed and is comprised of some of the best components available.

[​IMG]

A neat feature is the ability to, “overclock” the PSU. You can turn it into a single rail 12v that packs close to a 100 AMPS. Thats right I said, “close to a 100 AMPS.” If you prefer running multiple 12v rails; all you have to do is flick a switch. I can't wait to start mocking up this PSU. It also comes with every little do-dad you could ever want including a huge set of modular cables. I will be building a 3D printed cable management system for this setup.

PureWings 2 PWM 120mm Fans:

The PWM version of the PureWings 2 fans are relatively new to the market. Its always exciting to get parts that just became available. The overall look of these fans is impressive. They will fit in perfectly with the design cues found throughout the case. I am going to design and 3D print some inserts for the fans. These inserts will add originality to the fans. They will also allow me to add my own flare of color and design. The design phase for these inserts will start right away

[​IMG]

Replacing Rear 80mm Fan:

The rear fan on the donor parts used is an 80mm fan. Almost all newer cases have a 120mm fan or larger in this position. I will cut out part of the old donor backplate to make room for the new 120mm fan. Once the final back panel is fitted you wont be able to tell that there was ever an 80mm fan.

Its always easier to go larger than smaller as long as you have enough space. This wont be diffacult due to the fact that I designed the case to have 120mm fan. I will use one of the screw holes from the 80mm fan to position the new 120mm fan. Once I level the fan I can drill the second mounting hole. All I have left to do is cut out part of the backplate to give the 120 enough space.

Here's the 80mm fan that will be cut to fit a 120mm fan:
    [​IMG]

I mounted the fan to the outside so that I could see where I needed to make cuts. It will go on the other side of this panel when fitted:
    [​IMG]