1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC sells 15,000 Vive bundles in just ten minutes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Pvt_Ryan

Pvt_Ryan What's a Dremel?

Too expensive. I'll wait till they are ~£250 which is much more reasonable.

Had the occulus been £200 and this £300 i'd have stretched but £700 is insane for what is essentially a monitor. :/

3. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I've stuck with Rift, either is a bit of an early adopters gamble atm but I'm hoping Rift game support should be the better. I'm not interested in the full body movement or hand controllers.

4. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

£700 is insane for what is essentially a monitor? Isn't that about the cost of a high-end gaming monitor at the moment?

I'm not launching myself at either the Vive or Rift right now given the prices, but I really don't think either are particularly unreasonable. The fact that they've sold 15,000 shows that it's a sensible price, anyway.

5. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

i would say the price is about right compared to the rift, £60 delivery is insane, pretty obvious they bumped the shipping prices up just to make more money

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

@Jim and Pvt_Ryan

Neither platforms are "just a monitor". You're also paying for controllers, a sensor system, and developers.

Still - it is expensive. OSVR is a good cheap alternative.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Oculus does not ship with controllers since the Xbox one controller does not really count as the touch controllers will be extra.

We will see the complete package price for both come a few months and oculus won't be far from VIVEs price.

Personally removed my pre order total cost of new system and oculus just too much to stomach with the games currently listed for launch.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Cheap, but not so good. Currently OSVR HDK v1.3 has a display about equal to the DK2 (except 60Hz rather than 75Hz), slightly better but not fantastic optics, position tracking about on-par with DK2, and is overall rather heavy due to the oversize singlet lenses (far heavier than the Vive and Rift CV1, due to their improved ergonomics).
    It's definitely not a consumer product by any stretch, so unless you're already familiar with the fart-arseing around needed to get traditional HMDs working (read: unless the application you want to run on it is may by you already, you're SOL) you probably shouldn't get one and expect to be able to use it easily.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not any more: Razer just announced OSVR compatibility with a bunch of SteamVR titles, no messing around required.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

when was the last time you shipped anything next day from the other side of the world then??

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Levels of facepalm at maximum! :wallbash:

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Interesting they list TF2 and HL2, as neither are compatible with the Vive (or Rift) and have not been for some time, due to Valve ceasing to update their SteamVR integration (stopped updating long before the Vive was announced, only shortly after the DK2 was released). Checking the OSVR forums, it looks like they're supported by adding an OpenVR hooker for older SteamVR implementations rather than the games themselves being updated!

13. rollo

rollo Modder

So razer has a brain after all. OpenVR hooker seems like a way to get a lot of games to support VR

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Indeed. All those years of R&D cost nothing. Where can I hire those people? :clap:

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Mar 2016
  15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just because something cost x doesn't mean it's worth x or more to be fair.

This is definitely of no interest to me at the moment (which I'm glad about considering the price of them all) but I'll try to keep an eye on how they develop.

16. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'm nervously lifting my hand to admit a pre-order. Don't lynch me.

1) I could never afford new tech when I was younger, but 30 years on, and plenty of hard work, I find the desposable income to make up for many un-answered wishes from my youth.

2) We already have a good idea that Oculus will be good, and my use of DK1 and DK2 has proved to me there is a lot more to this tech than PC 3D and TV 3D. But Vive ... everything I have read has rated Vive over Oculus - negating cost.

3) HL3 and whatever Valve release next to work with VR will be made for Vive specifically and then tweaked to run on other VR solutions.

4) I have a room available to make use of the satellite camera positioning to make full use of roaming, albeit after moving a little furniture.

April can't come quick enough.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Never apologise for going full geek. :)

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Agreed, you're in a safe place here :)

Personally I'm sticking with the rift, as I've got no room or real urge to move around, but I can't deny the Vive looks great.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nor me, but I respect a first gen new tech costs as much as it does. I agree it'll have to come down in price and there has to be software I really want to use it with. 2017 will be the key year, but probably 2018-2020 for mass market adoption and greater variety of software.

20. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Don't worry, you're not alone in going for one.
    I've pre-ordered a Vive as well, I couldn't resist after testing one out... the experience simply blew me away. Going to have to do a bit of furniture re-arranging but I should have ample space to make best use of it.