1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My server's been a bit flakey lately, and I need something with a proper case; I've been thinking about doing the Lack Rack thing.

Which ProLiant model is that? I've got my eye on a DL140 G3 but I'm concerned about noise.

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

The proliant is a DL360 G7

I would say get at least a g6 anything older will suck juice and sound horrid. the g7 I have is barely audible under normal load, it does spin up if everyone is activating plex.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oof. That's a little more than I was planning to spend! Although Dual 6-core Xeons with 32GB RAM sounds mighty tasty...

Of course the alternative is picking up a PowerEdge 1950/2950 and modding the fans; they'll still drink power, but they're more than powerful enough for what I need them for.

4. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Not a bad deal, at all

I got lucky got my g7 for about 150 and but only got 8gb of ram so I need to bump that up to 32gb at lease.

EDIT: also fi you find the x-core sucking a bit too much power, the L5630 will fint fine in that server, and use a lot less power, i got a pair of them for mine to keep the draw as low as i can which still having a good chip

Last edited: 31 Jan 2016
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've got a bunch of old S775 stuff to sell off, so if I can get a good price on that then I'll probably go for the G6/G7 ProLiant. I'm not in any great rush at the moment.

Kinda regretting getting rid of my PowerEdge 2950 now; should've just got off my arse and modded the fans.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Have done that mod on my 2950 actually not using it just yet. hopefully next week need 2 new SFF cables for the raid card then im ready

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I saw your post in the purchases thread; that's what got me thinking about all this again!

What size resistors did you use?

8. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

i used 47ohm resistors

I have not done the power supplies but i will see what they are like on extended use and decide if i want to do them later, should take long if i decide to.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well son of a... nasty person...

Some sneaky toerag outbid me on a Poweredge 2950, beat me by £1 with less than 3 seconds to go.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Did an Ikea today so that I could start building a Lack Rack:

[​IMG]

Next I need:

*Rack mount gigabit switch (managed or unmanaged)
    *Another rack mount server to act as a file server - the PowerEdge there has a 2.5" SAS backplane, and I've already fully populated it with drives.
    *Moar RAM for the PowerEdge - it only has 10GB...

Be nice if I could install network cabling/panels in the wall, but I rent so that's out the window.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

People use sniping tools on eBay, computer parts are sometimes near impossible to win without one.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, it's f-ing irritating, that's why I usually stick to "buy it now".

13. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Hey that's the bodged coolers I see on the dual xeon board I sold you, good to see that it's going to have a use in it's new home!:thumb:

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's been resting on a motherboard box for months; I need a case for it!

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Picked up a new Nas the other month to replace my N40L as I wanted more expand-ability for future use

[​IMG]

Currently running Freenas just like my N40L was but its Has 4x 3TB in a pool for bulk storage of media and documents. Critical stuff is backed up to a separate machine.

EDIT: this allowed me to get rid of the Dell 2950 in favor of something newer and better for my needs, even more when i can get the 8gtb DDR3 ECC DIMMS for this for about £10 each so when my main VM machine gets its upgrade i will drop some more in the NAS too

16. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Been a while since I've posted.

After changing Job's I've be able to get some rackspace in our datacenter.

[​IMG][/IMG]

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

My credenza HTPC. I houses speakers, an amp, my router, modem, a network switch, the HTPC and a Drobo. On top is my Steam Machine (#50), my Vive, my wireless mechanical keyboard and a mouse. At some point I'll get a VR capable video card for my HTPC and can put my Steam Machine somewhere else for sit-down gaming.
    [​IMG]

Inside is the HTPC. The case is an iStarUSA D-313SE-MATX 3U Compact Rackmount case. On top is an 8-bay Drobo Pro loaded with 300+ 1080p movies and ~100 complete TV show runs. I love that I don't have to think about it. My one complaint is that when a drive dies and is replaced the rebuilding process takes ~36 hours, which seems pretty crazy to me.
    [​IMG]

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've got to look at Drobos again.

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

carful with that drobo,
    i had the 8 bay drobo pro and 8 bay drobo pro fs stuck on reboot loop. 2 years apart and drobo support do fack al and in the end suggest buying a new one to get my data.

i would stay away from them if i were you bindibadgi. currently building a unraid box then selling my remaining drobo pro, and drobo 8 bay das boxes while they are working

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tbh I looked, I saw the price, I closed the page.