1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Barnes & Noble shuts down UK Nook eBook service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Never bought a book from their store, but I do like their Windows Ebook app which thankfully I found out can be reinstalled if you set your region to the US.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's a shame. I remember hacking my Android tablet many years ago so I could bring my Nook account home with me.

Used to love going into B&N in the USA. Was like a huge library with a coffee bar :)

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Don't you have to strip the DRM from the books to sideload?

I mean I've done it already but a lot of people may not know how to do it.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think so, though don't quote me on it. I know it required quite a bit of faff.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Only if you're buying stuff encumbered with DRM in the first place. The bulk of my collection is from StoryBundle and the like, and is supplied DRM free. If you're buying Amazon, you may have a different experience - though it's the publisher's choice whether or not DRM is enabled when they put a book up for sale, so not all Kindle books are locked.

If it's not DRM locked, it's as simple as plugging in the USB cable, dragging the book to the removable disk that appears, then ejecting. Bosh.

7. Big Elf

The ones I bought from Barnes and Noble had DRM and the plugins for Calibre to strip it didn't work for me so had to use something else (forgotten what it was now).

There's going to be a lot of annoyed B&N customers.

8. Gareth Halfacree

No, you've got it backwards: they're shutting down the UK Nook store, but they're transferring everyone's book (but not magazine or newspaper) libraries to Sainsbury's Entertainment on Demand. You'll be able to download your books from there even when the Nook shop has shut its doors, and transfer them by dragging them to the removable disk that appears when your Nook is connected via USB. (The DRM is just Adobe Digital Editions, which every ePub-supporting eReader can handle - all you need is your serial number.) Nobody is going to lose their books as a result of this (but they will lose the ability to download them and buy more directly on the eReader, Kindle-style - they'll have to use a PC instead.)

When I'm talking about side-loading, I'm talking about books purchased from other sources - which, if you're a savvy shopper, won't have DRM. My main eReader is a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, and I haven't got a single DRM'd eBook on there (nor anything from the Nook shop, for that matter.)

9. Big Elf

Ah, I misunderstood.

10. Gareth Halfacree

My fault - I should have been more clear!