1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage The HP Micro Server Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tibby, 22 Nov 2011.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Interesting, but then so many NAS systems ship with identical drives and as does pretty much every pre built server from HP/Dell etc. Hands up who has RAID arrays filled with WD reds?

There is that chance that they could all come from a faulty batch so by mixing brands you reduce that risk I suppose, it sounds like you have been stung Mr Halfacre?

Btw backups are for wimps :p

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nup, 'cos I never use identical drives. Back when I was a sysadmin, though, I had to support people who were hit by failures like the infamous Seagate firmware flaw that caused drives to die after X number of hours - meaning that servers that had arrays built from the same drives which had, obviously, been running for the same length of time went 'poof.' Bye-bye, data.

That's even ignoring the bathtub curve: drives from the same batch purchased at the same time and run in the same environment storing the same data will, naturally, fail in clusters, even if there's no fault. For me, it's just not worth the risk when it's so easy to buy differing drives and spread the risk.

3. Pookie

Don't suppose anyone has the last BIOS update HP released to hand? I am trying to get 2012 R2 running but it won't boot with the onboard NIC enabled:wallbash: it's a well known issue and updating the BIOS should sort it.

I can't even find the HP support page for the N36L :sigh:

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Looks like 2012 R2 was a problem for all the Gen7 Microservers.

Pook, have a look at this HSS thread. Post #51.

5. Pookie

No link :(

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

7. Pookie

Last edited: 5 Mar 2016
  8. David

what the hell? I posted a link, I swear!

9. Pookie

Don't worry, mega happy with it! Regret not grabbing one years ago. Fiddly beggars to work on but well worth the effort. Starting to sort out all the new shares and tidy all my data up.

10. David

Anyone tried the Windows Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 on a Gen8?

Is it worthwhile for a home server setup?

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I have the role installed, and a couple of VMs sitting there powered off, if that counts. I had significantly more grand intentions for it, to be honest.

What are you trying to do? The memory limitations may mean a bit of micromanagement.

12. David

I'm looking for options for my Gen8.

I heard the Hyper-v license is free, and I wondered how it would stand up as a home server for NAS/file serving and eventually media streaming.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Ah, I misunderstood. I was talking about running the Hyper-V role on 2012R2 Std. I'm just running Plex and file services in the host OS.

Whilst there's a free Hyper-V server, you still need to license the guests, and for File/Streaming, I don't see that there's many advantages to running multiple guests (other than to play, which is of course a valid reason).

14. David

So, I'm better off opting for a full fat windows server or nix alternative?

15. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I ran Hyper-V for a while, and it was okay, but as said earlier you can run in to problems with memory. I decided in the end to swap it out to ESXi and I've never looked back. Even just with the free ESXi it's better the Hyper-V. The biggest advantage is the over provisioning of memory. So you can do much more with less resources.( It still doesn't beat actual memory tho)

The only draw back is the lack of v-motion and the ability to duplicate VM's with minimal hassle which you do get with fully fledged vCenter. You can trial it for 60 days, or/and if you like it you can get a year license with full use for $200 from VMUG

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

For VM, you might also consider Proxmox (Debian with web interface for KVM/OpenVZ).

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I have exchange server running on a 2012r2 VM which is is running on a hp n54l 16GB ram. its a tad on the slow side, but works

18. David

I'm trying out FreeNAS.

It's all Greek to me so far, and a little overly complex, but I'll muddle through.

19. David

Guys, I need help, before I put my fist through something expensive.

My cashback claim has been declined because I "didn't enter the correct serial number on the form".

Not true. I did enter the correct number.

However, I've just been on HP's ****ing godawful website to attempt to search for drivers for my Gen8 (I'm thinking about Windows Server) and it gave me the option to search by Serial number. I went into ILO and copied the serial from there, only to be told:
    WTF is going on? HP doesn't recognise my Microserver by Serial or Product number?!

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just a guess, here - my MicroServer doesn't have ILO - but is it possible that the serial number you're seeing in the ILO is the serial number of the ILO? Have you checked that it matches the serial number printed on the MicroServer itself?