1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Aetos - A 3D printed ITX build for the AMD R9 Nano - Finished! 29/07/16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 1 Sep 2015.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

We all make purchases when we should be in bed.:lol: Noctua would sell better if they used a bronze metalflake. I sometimes think that was their original intent, and something went wrong at the factory.

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

It should be fine. The system itself is very low wattage given there's only a Skylake i7, the Nano (which is a low wattage card) and a single SSD (plus the cooler I guess). 450W should be plenty for that, hopefully it won't be loud too.

Seems I made way too many bed decisions this time round rofl. BTW from now on that's the official reason why Noctua fans are so ugly :p

3. Maki role

Ha I bet some of you thought this was dead?

Nope!

In short, there was a change of hands for the project at AMD, which broke a lot of communication etc. However, there was only one crucial part that needed doing, and that's now been handled. So a big thanks to Adam Kozak at AMD for putting up with my constant nagging and helping to get this through the door.

So the final chassis pieces have now been printed! They're now in a proper state for me to begin the process of sanding, fitting and eventually painting.

Here are some shots of the new side panels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Awesome, love your builds man! Even though your name is a constant reminder that I don't eat nearly enough sushi. :)

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Great job fella can't wait to see this operational :)

6. Cheapskate

This is the first time I've had to wait 5 months to say this, but NICE START! :lol:

I apologize for saying earlier that your logs are too fast. I might have jinxed you.

Now comes the bit where you stuff all that kit in a vaguely banana- sized case.:) (-Good thing EEL is busy. I'd hate to have those words re-arranged.)

7. Maki role

Cheers man, glad to see you popping round despite my overly long hiatus :)

You and me both. The hardware is currently with a friend atm so I'm predicting a mid-April completion date.

Ayy lmao

I knew something was up, clearly all your fault :hehe:

UPDATE!

This has been a long time coming really, just been so busy recently thanks to life and now the Thermaltake comp. That said, I've definitely still got time and plans for Aetos.

First order of the day is getting the GPU mounted. Thankfully AMD provided a mechanical sample, which means I can use it in the workshop without worrying about things like aluminium dust getting in the card etc. I decided to keep things simple, just a couple strips of aluminium bent in the vice. I'll be painting these up to look pretty, don't worry.

Second is installing the little neodymium magnets into the case sections. These help hold the front sections together without any screws, the rear parts are then fastened securely. The sockethead screws are just placeholder (had them to hand), will be using more appropriate ones.

The case itself now fits together and is strong. What's next is to begin the beautification process, i.e sanding, priming, filling and painting. There's a lot of work to be done there, hopefully it will all go as intended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cheapskate

F' it. Watercool it. You have room.:lol:

9. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Been a while since I last posted here, but I just have to respond to this awesomeness!

Sleek design, with the right level of organic & dynamic flows and curvyness!

Somewhat curious though if you will apply some kind of finish on the shell....putting filler on this thing looks like it would be hell :)

10. Maki role

Hold the phone a minute, have you seen how big that tiny GPU looks in there? :p

That said, I did originally want to do a wc build. Unfortunately this was before the nano pricing was announced and AMD wanted it stock.

Thanks dude, glad you popped by! I will indeed be fully smoothing the case and then painting it. Thankfully the best bit about SLS prints is that you can just sand it like wood, next to no filling needed.

This is approaching what I think will be the best bit of the log. Going to be adding lots of little details here and there, along with generally polishing up certain bits. Up until now things have been largely automated, so getting in some more workshop time should be fun.

11. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Bravo Alex.

12. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Looking good Alex,dunno about the Heath Robinson GPU strap tho......

I like the lines of the chassis,it has a nice flow to it.

13. Maki role

Thanks James :thumb:

:dremel:

Trust me in that people will like it by the end, there is a reason why it's made that way for now

14. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

I keep coming back to this thread to view those last few pics. Damn! I really love the shape of this thing, and the total overall aesthetic! :clap: :clap:

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Reminds me of a Portal turret. Can you give it a voice by the end?

16. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Heh heh that would be cool !

Nice compact original build :thumb:

17. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Just woooow!

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

If I could buy that case, I would do so in a heartbeat!

Simply beautiful!

19. soxism

soxism What's a Dremel?

Yeah amazing Job. If you ever do decide to produce a few of these, id drop cash on you in a heart beat too mate.

20. Maki role

Haha I'd have to see, I get the impression that I'd have to change so many elements to make it suitable for general sale as currently it only really fits one hardware config. You never know though, I may use the design concept in a future build that has fewer caveats.

Also why does this always happen with my logs?? I leave something for ages and then a short while before a planned update somebody comes in a bumps it haha. Glad people are still interested in the build though, I certianly haven't forgotten about it. I've just been busy atm with other rigs and since a friend is currently using the hardware in a temp case it got pushed to the back of the queue as such. Need a solid couple weeks to get the whole thing done, aiming to have it up and running at iSeries!