1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 64-bit Raspberry Pi 3 launches as first Wi-Fi-enabled board

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Feb 2016.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ah ok - what about over ethernet?

Generally though my current system is fine for streaming and gaming, I just thought it would be a fun project.

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Any idea if the wifi is capable of running in STA+AP mode simultaneously?

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm looking at capturing video (to a pi or to a PC, doen't matter too much really) from an old Atari 2600. are you able to offer any advice on that front?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As others have said: not for live video, 'cos you can only get data to the Pi at around 90Mb/s peak. Even at 8-bit, you're looking at 119MB/s for 1080p/29.97fps - more than eight times the speed at which the Pi's Ethernet port operates, and that's before you assume you're streaming to a USB-attached storage devices which shares bandwidth with said Ethernet port.

It's entirely possible to offload non-live rendering tasks to the Pi: file gets copied to the Pi, compressed and uploaded, and you can turn your PC off while you're waiting for that to happen. Live, though? You'd need an HDMI-to-CSI adapter board, and that's not going to be cheap.
    Nope: it's 1x1:1, so no clever MIMO stuff or multiple modes. Last I checked you couldn't even use monitor mode, though support was allegedly in the wings. You can, of course, stick a £2 Wi-Fi dongle in a USB port and have one device in one mode and t'other in t'other.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I have a Pi2 set up with one of the tiny £8 edimax dangles. Works pretty well although it's not an insignificant sunk cost when the board is already so cheap.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which is why I pick up the same things from China for under £2 a throw delivered. They're fantastic for the Pi Zero!

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not very much I'm afriad :worried:

The only live streaming I've ever done has been all on one PC.

But in theory the capture hardware you'd need for a 2600 would be a lot cheaper - you're only dealing with analogue SD video instead of HD over HDMI. I don't know what sort of video output is offered by the 2600 natively - I'm assuming RF - but I have read that s-video mods are available for it.

Alternatively if you want really crisp video without modding your 2600, or the fuss of external hardware, you could always use an emulator and capture the output using FRAPS or similar.

8. Parge

Thanks Gareth - where would you recommend I go to check out cool projects for the pi? Didn't you write a book or something?

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

indeed he did

10. Gareth Halfacree

Aye, but don't buy it - it's well out of date now. It doesn't even cover the Pi 2, never mind the Pi 3! I'm working on the fourth edition, but it'll be a few months yet 'til it's on shelves.

I also wrote a MagBook of projects, but again it's a couple of years old. Best place to look for projects is the official MagPi magazine: each issue has a bunch of project ideas in it, ranging from "here's what some dude did" to "here's a full and detailed tutorial," and they also publish regular mini-books and MagBook-style things like the Official Projects Book which has one or two of my things in it. Best part? They're all free to download as DRM-free PDFs, Creative Commons licensed.

11. Parge

Mother of god, how do they make any money?

12. Gareth Halfacree

As you might imagine, the traditional publishers are Not Exactly Thrilled.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's like... it's like they actually.... CARE about education?! How dare they?! ;)

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I think they all have an RF output plus a sort of composite output. native resolution is pitiful. But I might just have to buy one and think about things then.

An emulator is indeed the easy solution, but my goal is to show what Deepmind did (plus whatever I do) on an actual console.