1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Coleco severs ties with Retro VGS over Chameleon fraud

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

it just seems so easy to start a crowd-funding campaign with no motivation to live up to the claims and pocket the money, or all sorts of shades of grey in the middle too. kinda like government procurement... but that's off topic

3. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I lol'ed. I find it funny that they used such low effort solutions. Duct taped SNES into a Jaguar? Did they really think nobody would notice? Then they sat a PCI card in a translucent case, really?

I understand if they are having issues creating a working prototype. But this... wow!

4. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I think it would have actually been less effort to create a working prototype than to go to the lengths of trying to dupe everyone & failing abysmally.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I don't get why they needed any custom hardware, everything they want to do could be done using a Raspberry Pi and some free open source programs.

All they really needed was some software engineers to get the front end sorted.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Because nobody's going to pay $299 USD + Shipping for a Raspberry Pi shoved into an Atari Jaguar housing. Yes, that's how much Retro VGS was charging when it first hit Indiegogo.

7. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

That's how much it was going for? Wow. They really know how to inflate prices.

As Jimbob says a RPi and Retropie and you're away. I've got that setup and it cost me a grand total of £40 for everything. Of course, there's the ROM ownership issue with the DIY approach, though I'm assuming that Coleco et al had a licensing plan in place for the games - maybe that's where the mark up comes from.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Nope: $299 was hardware only. You get zero games with the Retro VGS/Chameleon: games, as in the days of the Sega Mega Drive, were planned to be sold separately on physical cartridges, one game per cartridge.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Have you ever tried to play SNES games on a Pi2? Custom hardware will always be better, but not worth $300.