1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It is a bit overpriced, but the Quickfire XTi is simply the best keyboard I've ever owned in terms of quality - better than any other Quickfire keyboard I've owned, and indeed any other mechanical keyboard. The only thing I can compare it to is the original Cherry G80-3000, which I think is pretty high praise. The XTi also has Cherry stabs, so another box ticked for me.

I have no idea why the XTi is becoming so hard to find (they aren't phasing it out already are they?) but you can still pick it up new from a few places for around the £140 mark. Granted, a lot of the money is put into the lighting (which, to be fair, is so much nicer in person than it is in a Youtube video), but aside from that it's a jolly nice board and built like a tank. What's more, it seems to be readily available in the MX Brown flavour.

/IMHO

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Apparently so. Check the review on the front page

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm quite keen to get my hands on the MasterKeys Pro S. I was a fan of the Rapid-i for the few days I had one before and LED died. It also looks like it has a standard bottom row of keys unlike the TK.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ah I totally overlooked the article because I didn't see the word "Quickfire" and therefore didn't make the connection with keyboards - thanks for the heads up! :)

It looks like they've done what they should have done from the outset: make the XTi an RGB board, and price it more attractively. It will be very interesting to see how much this board will cost in the UK, MSRP notwithstanding, and it'll be a hot seller I'm sure.

The Pro L essentially is an XTi... it just has slightly different internals. I suppose with that being said, it looks like a far better buy. :)

5. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

might take a look at the masterkeys L then, i was looking at some corsair boards with lighting but they still have the silly bottom row, and i've been impressed with coolermaster peripheral software a lot more than corsair in the past.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

7. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

still #109.99 preorder from amazon for the UK ISO model with browns, appears they may be honouring the misprice from CM as per the article.

ahaha, my substitute keyboard i ansi, so no # key!

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Last edited: 16 Mar 2016
  10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Decent for an RGB keyboard. I have a couple of non-RGB K70's (with blues) and I really like them.

11. TaZ

TaZ What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I know I've read that the bottom row of some of the Corsair boards won't accept standard keycaps. Does anyone know if the "Strafe" is the same? Amazon have a Strafe with browns for £99 I'm very tempted in buying, is there any reason I shouldn't be considering it? Not sure what the difference from the K-series they do is

Thanks in advance,
    TaZ

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The bottom row is non-standard, making it very difficult to get a full set of replacement caps for it.

However, the caps are generally pretty hard-wearing so, ask yourself, do you really need to change them? I get the "bling your board" thing - been there, but seriously, it isn't the end of the world.

Besides, over the lifetime of your board, caps will probably get easier to source. It was only a couple of years ago when doubleshot replacement caps for backlit boards were unheard of, but now I have two sets at home.

If you like it, buy it.

13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

think ill just save for a k50 or k70

14. David

The K50 isn't a mech board, and the K70 still has a non-standard modifier row.

15. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

If anybody wants to buy a K65 RGB that's had a couple of months light use I'm probably going to sell mine. I'm too into swapping caps to live with it, as much as I like the lighting.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

16. David

My son would rip your arm off for it, but I doubt his pocket money will stretch to meet your price.

17. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

PM me a figure he could manage and I'll think about it? It's all mates rates around here :)

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

18. TaZ

TaZ What's a Dremel?

If not spreadie's son, I'd be interested Yslen

Sent from my Xperia Z5

19. David

Payment already sent, I'm afraid. :D

20. TaZ

TaZ What's a Dremel?

No worries :(

Sent from my Xperia Z5