1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Why is hardware so crap these days?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 19 Mar 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Before I go into my moaning let me just say that in 1999 I bought a HP mouse for $5 from a outlet out in the USA. They used to buy in bulk and sell things stupid cheap. Any way, I bought this HP mouse for $5 and it lasted for about seven years. In the end it was so worn that all of the skid pads had gone, as had the shaped parts that they sat in. I literally wore it into the ground.

Since then I have been struggling to find a decent mouse that lasts. I've been through several Razers (Salmosa, Boomslang, Naga, Abysuss) and now a supposed £120 Steelseries and they have all been the same - crap !

The Salmosa developed a squeak. So I lubricated it and then after around eight months the scroll wheel died. The Naga lasted less than six months before the right click became flaky, and it would jump in and out when sniping. The Abysuss was bought for my lady for her laptop. It lasted around three months before the cable broke at the USB socket.

Now the Boomslang? that was different. It was once a £140 mouse but I found it on OCUK for £40. It lasted me about three years but eventually the software stopped working (after Win 8) and because of that the mapping did not work properly and the buttons were wrong. So I had to stop using it.

Recently I thought if I bought something stupid expensive (like the Razers weren't expensive enough !) it would last. I have a Steelseries Kana that I used for about a year before giving it to my wife. It worked very well and still does. So I figured I would buy a Steelseries WOW mouse that was once £120 for £40. I've had it about three months, scroll wheel is screwed. It jumps up and down when you use it and makes the screen go black.

Why is it that all products seem to be made the same now? everything seems cheap and doesn't last. More money seems to get you more features but none of them, even the stupidly expensive ones, seem to be made any better?

I'll admit I do use my mouse for about 14 hours a day every day, and thus the scroll wheel tends to live a very hard life. I spend a good chunk of my day reading build logs, and some of them are a bit pony so I quickly rev on my scroll wheel to skip through 300 pics of a stick of ram from every angle imaginable.

I've bought a cheap stand in now (£10) but does any one have any recommendations for a mouse that can take a beating?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

I still have my logitech mx 518 from years gone by and it still fully functional.

Avoid the wireless crap and most stuff lasts forever.

I have a old wired mechanical keyboard must be 20 years old still more than good enough for typing.

I have a razor chroma and have had no issues with it. Despite typing a large amount daily. 6-8 pages of text minimum a day most days of the week.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My G400 has also lasted me well [like the MS/Razer Habu before it], and i am quite heavy-handed with peripherals...

Keyboards on the other hand... Feels like i'm either replacing my and/or my parents' keyboards every 12-18 months or so...

and yes they're cheap membrane keyboards... mainly as a: i can't afford a mechanical atm and b: i had a mechanical, and it lasted 6 weeks before it broke...

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My MX518 didn't last half a year, and I gave it away on this very forum. Before that, I had a G9 go faulty (which Logitech very kindly replaced with a G9x).

I'm onto my second G9x now, purchased June 2013, so it's still going strong after almost 3 years and I wouldn't change it for anything. I don't know what I'll do when it gives up!!

Edit: there's a new G9x on ebay finishing tomorrow if you're interested. It's the only mouse I've had that hasn't broken, so whatever was weak about the G9 they seem to have fixed it in the G9x.

5. Vault-Tec

Well I opened up the mouse to have a look at why it had failed. The reason was quite apparent. Basically there's a pole that the wheel itself sits on and then it slots into the sensor. It had bent away from the sensor so I bent it back and it was scrolling properly again. However, I decided to go one step further and tried gluing the pole into the sensor. Let's just say I was a little heavy handed with the super glue and now it doesn't scroll at all :D

What a stupid idea though. Why not make it out of one piece, then insert it? making it out of multiple pieces just means there's more to go wrong (and in this case it sure did).

But nothing about this mouse neither inside or out screams £120. The battery for example was held in with some 3m sticky foam.

Back to my Boomslang for now. It seems to have mapped properly in Windows 10 which was a nice surprise. But yeah, even that feels light (and the paint has worn off too).

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

G700S is still working fine, my G700 died though, it was randomly double clicking.

7. Vault-Tec

That's usually how my Razers go.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Perpherals are crap because the purpose of business is to maximise profit at all costs. The result is you pay inexperienced or low calibre engineers less money to work long hours to the point they give zero shits about what they are doing in order to design a product which gets manufactured by the lowest bidder, who themselves are trying to maximise profits at all costs and so use the cheapest materials and manufacturing techniques and will do as much as possible to reclaim scrap generated during manufacturing to the detriment of quality, whilst using the cheapest possible components from other manufacturers who are doing the exact the same thing.

You then end up with a poorly made and designed product. You allocate a 100 times the development cost to the marketing department to make the POS look awesome, slap a mark up on it hundreds of times its production cost and ship it to customers hoping it lasts long enough so that they don't look for a refund when it breaks. When the complaints come in you proceed to give zero shits because you've already made the sale and start at looking at ways to further drop the costs of development and production. Then repeat.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2016
  9. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

would never spend that kind of money on a mouse but for the price u ould expect ultra premium and it to last pretty much forever.

My current one is a zelotes cheap gaming one was like 10 quid for a 7200dpi mouse that has gb led in it. And i have to say mega impressed for the price.

Decent built. buttons are nice and clicky, and its real comfey. Coming from my logitech nx200 its not even in the same league for build feel but for a tenner. Worth it lol

10. Vault-Tec

I didn't want to spend that much on mice, trust me. The problem is I have had so many fail that I am now chasing the dragon desperately trying to find one that will last more than a couple of months.

That's how stuff seems to be made now though. Long enough to last a couple of months but nothing beyond that. Some of them have been rather expensive, others bought in a clearance sale for much less but I expected better.

It sucks, because if stuff would last I would have no issue paying more for it. As such I've now ordered a mouse that costs £10. At the end of the day if they're all going to be crap then I may as well just resign myself to crap and replace it more often.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I currently have 4 Logitech mice in everyday use, G5, G500, G602 and MX Master.

The G5 was replaced by the G500 because the cable became slightly frayed, but it still works perfectly, and is the go to backup.

The G602 was given to the wife and replaced with the MX Master due to the G602 not having free scroll. The Master is by far the best mouse I've ever owned, I even bought a carry case for it so it can just be chucked in my laptop bag. £70 is about as much as I'd spend on a mouse tbh, and can't really see the need for £100+ mice.

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Still using my razor Lachesis from 2007! Looks tatty but still works just as good as the day I got it :p

13. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

My MX 518 is still working and I bought that in 2009. Have found that the scroll wheel is a bit sticky, and that the skid pads have worn down. I bought a G700s t replace it with. I've generally had lots of good luck with Logitech gear.

The only piece of kit I've had from them that failed was my G510 and that was only because it isn't red wine proof.

14. Vault-Tec

I went off Logitech when they started making those huge wedge mice that look like golf drivers.

Do they do a decent slim mouse? I've only got small hands.

15. acemodder

acemodder Official Antec Rep

Logitech G602 wireless, I've been using mine for 2 years now, i work from home so 8 hours a day work, then 4-5 hours a night gaming!

16. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

MX518 still going after 10 years and G400 still going after 5.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Not sure. The G9/x has two different covers which are very different in shape, and I prefer using the wider one because I have big hands!

I guess the best thing to do would be to browse what logitech have avaiable and see if anything takes your fancy. I'm sure most people here would agree that if you buy a logitech mouse you're not making a bad move, because their CS is virtually flawless.

18. Vault-Tec

Yeah they're a great company and I used to have a Logitech keyboard that I beat to within an inch of its life. I had it for about seven years all told.

I've also got an Alienware TACTX which is made by them and that's sitting next to me and has been going since 2009.

The only requirement I have are side back and forward buttons for browsing really. Time to take a look !

19. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

My Corsair M65 seems to be ok, developed a fault recently where it cuts out ever so often (A heavy tap rectifies that!) but thats after 2 years of heavy use, scroll wheel absolutely fine though!

20. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I bought a Razer Imperator like 4 years ago and it's still perfectly functional. I'm not into razer things nowadays, but this mouse has taken the biggest of beatings, being dropped repeatedly by myself/wife/children. I even chucked it against a wall during a fit of rage once ( it wasn't even the poor thing's fault) and it still works perfectly fine. The rubber surface is pretty worn now though.

I'd stay away from their recent products though.