1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Nintendo's Wii U to cease production at the end of 2016

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 22 Mar 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Well, my boy still plays it, particularly as minecraft and Terraria are available. Plus Zelda and Mario... All that's needed really. And zombi u was particularly good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Was thinking about picking one up second hand for Mario Kart 8... but that's about it...

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I feel like I've been completely click baited. I really don't like the title of this article. I don't doubt that it's true at all but the title implies that Nintendo have made an official announcement, not that a retailer have either released a blog post early or they've printed wrong information. Yes it's more than a rumour but don't treat it as fact.

5. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for details on the NX. I'd like to play some Wii U titles, but if the NX is backwards-compatible, then I'd rather just get the NX and wait a bit longer. I still have plenty of games left to finish on my 3DS anyway :)

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm surprised it's lasted this long, TBH.

7. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

i got mine for 1 game, Xenoblade X, i might pick up the HD zelda that came around a few weeks ago, I hope that Nintendo stop going gimmicky and release a console for gamers again, I am still shocked the lack of nintendo games that have been put on hold for the next gen console.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Nearly bought one for the SNES stuff, then they released on 3DS.

9. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I had one for my 7 year old boy. He loved it. But I traded it in for a PS4, which doesn't appear to have any where near the same level of family friendly games. He just seems to play variations of Lego games now.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I recon it'll be spec'd around the same as an Xbox One. That hardware is 'cheap' now.
    Whatever they do they're going full x86 - Nintendo has been PowerPC since forever, but I can't see them working with IBM again when AMD are so agreeable and low-cost.
    I still say they should have tapped Intel for a full SOC, along with some co-promotion. Fantastic CPU, power efficiency and 'decent' GPU for Nintendo's needs. It would be great for Intel to have that gaming pedigree as well. The only issue is on the business side the margin of making console hardware is so low.

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's great for 1st party titles and I have one just for that. I did have a PS4 at one point but most of the games on it were also on the PC, so it rarely got used. The Wii U, however, gets used all the time for Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon etc.

12. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

If you have one keep it safe, this has cult machine written all over it, the games themselves are usually limited runs and hold their prices very well.

..10yrs from now they will be very sort after.

As for the follow up, the NX

You just know the teams at Nintendo would make Xbox One levels of performance sing and dance like nobody else could.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

I have a WII without U, does that count?

If it's an indicator, the price for the last Zelda (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword) is going up, steep.

14. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

To be fair, it's a fun little machine but there is a lot of gimmick about it. Luckily, the titles on offer are,more often than not, quality. The virtual sop is great as I can buy a lot of old releases like Mario 64. Backwards compatibility to Wii games means I have a great set of 1st party games available with Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I took ages to make a decision about the Wii U and I'm glad I've got the PC to offset the lack of new titles and 3rd party support. However, I'm not investing in another Nintendo in future. Am trying to get the kids into PC format (my little AM1 is running Minecraft nicely which seems like the be all and end all of gaming for five to seven year old (in my house at least).

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm amazed this has had so much attention:

(a) It's unconfirmed and supposedly been denied by Nintendo

(b) The Wii U will have been in production for 5 years by year-end. For a console that's received so much flack for no other reason than that it didn't sell very well, seems logical and not particularly newsworthy. It just seems to support the idea of the unhealthy obsession the industry had with doing the console/Nintendo down.

I own two Wii Us, having snagged a second one, almost new, last week for £125 with Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Minecraft installed. Over the last year I've built a sizeable collection of Gamecube, Wii and Wii U games because the Wii U is such a great machine to exploit the fun in that rich 3-generational library of single-player/party/family gaming, with the Gamepad being the best controller I've ever used, primarily for the reason that made so many veer away from it - the second screen.

16. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes but only Nintendo's own titles will be that good ;)

18. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Was thinking of picking up a second controller (2nd screen) just in case the first breaks. To be fair, they are certainly built well... The kids have dropped it more than once and it still plays perfectly. Plus it's covered in Zelda Windwaker decals...

Last edited: 24 Mar 2016
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Such as? I can think of many more times that Nikkei has published a 'scoop' about Nintendo that has proven to be complete horse-apples than the times Nintendo has directly debunked Nikkei claim and turned out to be lying.

20. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Ouch... haven't got one for my kid. Hope to save one before it disappear.

Tags: Add Tags