1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PC Powers But Doesn't Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gtiboy, 24 Mar 2016.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Hi all, Today my computer decided it no longer wants to boot upon powering up.

This has been a long standing problem ever since I built my PC 2 years ago. Intermittently every so often it will go into a lapse where I have to press the power button continuously to get it to power up.

But now not only do I have the problem it won't boot I also have to press the powers lots of times to get it to power up.

My PSU is a Corsair AX850. Could this problem be a faulty PSU?

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Do you have another psu you can try?
    Or can you borrow one?

That should confirm if you have a problem.

3. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

I don't have a spare PSU to try, but I did try the PSU paper clip test. Once turned on I could hear the HDD spin up.

Does this mean my motherboard is dead?

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

It could be a number of things. Normally the only way to check is to swap out different parts with spare kit. I would start with power supply first.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have you cleared the CMOS yet? start there.

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Also make sure all the cables from the PSU are inserted correctly (fully in).

And check that the cables running from your cases 'on/off' button are connected to the correct motherboard pins.

7. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

I tried clearing the cmos, it made my computer respond to powering up upon pressing the power button, where it wouldn't power up before. Still not booting into windows. Just seems lifeless.

All cables are connected properly. I did try testing using one ram stick but to no avail. Does this make a clearer indication of what the fault maybe?

Last edited: 26 Mar 2016
  8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Where abouts are you in the UK, I'm sure there's a member near by that wouldn't mind helping.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

10. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Hi, Thanks for this information, so looks like mine suffered the same symptoms as yours. I'm guessing when it powers on its not supplying the correct voltage to either the board or the CPU hence not booting up...

Did your PSU past the paperclip test? because according to Corsair this means the PSU is functional to them..

Last edited: 26 Mar 2016
  11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I think I waited until the PSU completely failed on me before sending it off for replacement.

When my PC failed to boot properly it didn't take long for the unit to die off.

12. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Ok, Well I've just replaced my Corsair AX850 with a brand new Seasonic Platinum 760watt PSU. My computer still doesn't boot up. I did notice the my Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard Q-Code led screen says 15 on it.

According to the user manual this states : Pre-Memory System Agent Initialization is Started.

What does this mean?

Last edited: 8 Apr 2016
  13. Vault-Tec

Looking around it could be caused by a few things but the one that is sticking out is bent/damaged pins in the CPU socket. That could possibly also explain why it's been ropey since you built it.

So the next step is to strip it down and take the CPU out and inspect the socket.

PocketDemon likes this.
  14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The other thing that appears to stick out is that some people have only been able to resolve the issue by RMAing the affected boards - this being specific to the error, not the board or even the brand.

As you've said that you've checked the cables, along with looking at the CPU pins as vault-tech suggests, you could try both reflashing the bios & the memOK button - but it's more likely that you'll need to contact the supplier or Asus to sort a replacement.

15. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Yeah I've checked for bent pins, the pins look ok. How many years are Asus motherboards under warranty for?

As this motherboard was bought back in June 2012, so I'm guessing it can not be RMA'd?

16. Vault-Tec

Two usually.

17. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

That's incorrect - it's 3 years for most models (inc the OPs), whilst the TUF boards are 5.

This is the reason why i originally wrote RMA, rather than replace, as the OP said that it was ~2 years old...

...though obviously with the June 2012 date then it's out of warranty.

18. Vault-Tec

I was going from the usual trading laws in the UK, not on what Asus offer.

Asus RMA is virtually non existent so good luck OP.

19. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

As said, my original comment was based upon the OP saying that it was ~2 years old - & 'if' it had been only been that old then they could also have dealt with the retailer.

As another possible option, checking back in my emails then Asus certainly used to have a 'logistics repair' option which was £15 - though this was ~4 years ago.

it'd cost nothing to email & ask though.

20. Vault-Tec

If you want any joy with Asus the best thing to do is to post in their section and create a 'hoo ha'.

They did have that option yes, IIRC the £15 was for postage back to Croatia or somewhere like that.

My wife has dealt with Asus RMA in the UK for a tablet and it was one of the most awful experiences she's ever had. The charging socket was faulty so they kept sending it back with a new battery in and it would eventually run flat and she would have to back it again. IIRC it went back no fewer than five times.

I think there is a rep who posts on forums called Joe. He would be the best person to contact I reckon, but yeah, OP has his work cut out.