1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer reveals BlackWidow X, improved switches and Cherry MX models

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 24 Mar 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So their improved 80 million keystroke switches - which were already "better" than Cherry MX when they were only good for 60 million keystrokes, compared to Cherry's paltry 50 million - aren't quite good enough for their own ultra high end boards.

Interesting. :lol:

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Gotta love all the marketing doggerel, huh?

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

What do you mean? The entire BW range (and now BW X) still has the Razer switch in. The ones with Cherry MX are a select few models, not the top end ones, and they retail for less money. Not a comment/opinion on the quality, but from Razer's perspective they consider their switch superior.

5. David

The Blackwidow Ultimare and X Ultimate names would suggest high-end boards.

I'm guessing either exclusivity deals or cost are the reasons behind the Chroma boards not being available in the RGB Cherry variants.

As ever, I could be wrong, and I'm happy to be educated otherwise. :)

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I wonder if it's because the PCBs would have to be redesigned for RGB Cherry switches? They are SMD LEDs under the switch, right? Probably re-using their old cherry-compatible designs?

Might be way off but I'd be interested to know. As far as I'm aware the exclusivity to Corsair ended way back.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

BlackWidow Ultimare, haha :D

But yeah, that's pretty much it. Cherry MX switches are a pretty easy swap into existing Razer designs, but the RGB variants would need a new PCB. Razer would likely say it's because it wants to reserve the more premium switches for its most premium boards though ;) and yes there are now other companies utilising Cherry MX RGB switches as Corsair's exclusivity is over - it may still have the exclusive on the MX Silent switches though.

8. David

Oh, I know the exclusivity deal ended, but I imagine it forced Razer to invest in the alternative, and that is tying them into using the chroma switches for a sustained period, to realise return on investment.

Ultimare... haha :blush: :lol:

Tags: Add Tags