1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 960, or other? or wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfticket, 30 Mar 2016.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

My GPU died a few days ago (about 2 months out of warranty :sigh:) and unfortunately I'm looking to get an enforced replacement.

I had an R9 270 and I can't afford/justify a profound upgrade (GTX 970) so I'm looking at the GTX 960 as a bit of an upgrade and to get me back gaming.

Just wondering (the age old question) whether a 960 is a good buy or not at the moment?

I don't have a huge amount of money to spare on such things at short notice so any help to avoid buyer's remorse would be much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2016
  2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

the 960 just isnt spectacular at all mate, even if u didnt wait get a second hand 290, it will destroy that 960.

But were currently looking about april for new card announcements. All rumour right enough but cant be long now

Referance price wise for you mate, i have bought 3 290s over the last month or so, for me and friends, i went crossfire then back to one card. My xfx 290 was 130 quid, my second one i sold to a mate was sapphire trix edition wich was 145 and the second xdx 290 with non ref cooler was 155 for another friend. And there minted cards

wolfticket likes this.
  3. wolfticket

Thanks. I'm sure you're right performance/price wise, but there don't seem to be that many sub-£150 290s available, and even if there was I'm fairly sure my PSU wouldn't be up to it (430W). Lack of warranty on another £150 card would be a worry too.

I think ideally I'd wait a few months, but then I don't want to be totally unable to play games for that period.

Very bad timing really.

I wasn't exactly unhappy with the 270 for the time being and was going to save and take my time to upgrade.
    I wonder what the cheapest possible interim like for like replacement would be?

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

wolfticket likes this.
  5. wolfticket

That is the one I was already looking at :)
    The ITX form factor, the low power/heat and 5 year warranty would make it a decent long term prospect. Could be transplanted into a low power mini ITX system if I ever upgrade.

That said, I am now thinking a cheap GTX 760 might be a good stop gap solution, so I can see what Pascal (and AMD's next offering) is like, and potentially save a few more pennies in the meantime.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322025772276?euid=83d0365ce7274621901ed9f63389cbf2&cp seems to be good value.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I got a 960 as an interim card and it's super cool and quiet, and just fine for 1080p gaming. Really surprised actually - I've played 100hrs of MGS5 on it, some Indie stuff, Dirt Rally. Sure you can't turn things all the way up, but I'm also not living next to a jet-engine. I've got a Galax mini card - semi-fanless.

New cards might be announced in April but I expect we won't see them until June tbh.

wolfticket likes this.